Lawrence Line Survey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are all different. Each property owner put their own stone there in many different years. They were not placed there by Lawrence or any one particular surveyor.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you sure you were not at a Howardville stone? Howardsville has it's own set of stones. One looks like Lawrence # 15.

Howardsville

howard.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the 3rd stone of the Howardsville survey.

3rd.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Lawrence Line does cut through Howardsville, and there are a few monuments. However, one stone that was there years ago is missing, mainly because it was right on the edge of the road. Ted Gordon visited it in the 70s when his son was young and took a photo of it. I have a copy of that photo and it shows his son with his hand on the stone. Ted said the surveyors name and a date was on the stone which I believe to be correct. However, it appears to be in magic marker so it had to have been in the prier month or so, and was not incised I believe. I think many of the stones from Howardsville were taken from gravesites because some of them have bolt holes in them like you would see surrounding specific family plots in a cemetery.

2nd.jpg

StoneA.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but those stones and the hole arrangement suggest the possibility of stone RR ties, AKA "sleepers", such as those used on the early Camden & Amboy. Most of the ones I've seen had only two holes and also had flat spots chiseled for, or worn in by, the tie plates, but I've seen a few that did not. That's probably not what they are, but it would be way cool if so. :)

cszipper

Dec 26, 2020
Morris County, NJ
Does anyone have any information about the Lawrence Line's passage through Byram up in southern Sussex County? I do some volunteer work up there for Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation, the eastern border of which is partly formed by the Lawrence Line. Coxe's Rock, a glacial erratic that Lawrence supposedly used as a marker, is on our property line, and I'm looking for more information about it and any other nearby markers.

I've been trying to find a copy of the re-survey book mentioned upthread, but between the limited printing and pandemic library closures haven't had any luck. If anyone can help with page photos/copies, relevant information from the accompanying CD, or any other relevant sources of info I should seek out, I'd be much obliged.

-Carl

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone have any information about the Lawrence Line's passage through Byram up in southern Sussex County? I do some volunteer work up there for Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation, the eastern border of which is partly formed by the Lawrence Line. Coxe's Rock, a glacial erratic that Lawrence supposedly used as a marker, is on our property line, and I'm looking for more information about it and any other nearby markers.

I've been trying to find a copy of the re-survey book mentioned upthread, but between the limited printing and pandemic library closures haven't had any luck. If anyone can help with page photos/copies, relevant information from the accompanying CD, or any other relevant sources of info I should seek out, I'd be much obliged.

-Carl

I have that book and other info. I would need to have a more clear idea where the locations is. I will try and find it myself but if you narrow it down for me I can do it faster.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will make a map showing the line in that area. Give me time. Hopefully tonight but maybe tomorrow. I have coordinates but only where the stones or monuments were found.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
cszipper,

Have you ever been to Cox's Rock? Is so, it crosses right by it and maybe over it. You have to remember this info is from 1995 or so in the earlier days of GPS.

You can see the rock by the line. The rock is mentioned in Lawrence's notes.

cox1.jpg

cszipper

Dec 26, 2020
Morris County, NJ
Thanks for the images. I have been out to what I've been told is Coxe's rock several times. It is right off of one of the camp's hiking trails, and I'm planning to put up an explanatory marker. There are a lot of big glacial erratics in that area, so I'm trying to find some confirmation that I've got the right one. Another tale in circulation up here is that the dining room, of the old hotel at Waterloo Village is built directly on the Lawrence Line.

From your list above, the three closest locations to me are Coxe's Rock (on or near the camp's property line), Allamuchy State Park, and Waterloo Village.

Thanks,

-Carl

Reactions: MuckSavage

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here are two pages dedicated to Cox's Rock. I took photos using my camera because I do not want to bend the binding of the book to scan it. My brother who is a book collector would kill me if he knew I did that :D

The man in the photo has his name on the text portion.

IMG_5423.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears the Grist Mill at Waterloo is where the lines runs through. This is the North Jersey team apparently.

Left to Right
Ed Drelich
Ross Eckler
Brian Taylor ( Brother or son I suspect of John Taylor who started the Committee or at least ran it)
Joe Perry

IMG_5426a.jpg

IMG_5427a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I was at that gristmill I would go to the exact location of the steps and I bet something is there. It appears the steps may have been built around it.