Lebanon State Forest Project

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am starting work on the Beaver Dam Cranberry Company bogs along Route 70, and while getting that started I decided to first look for a series of stones that cornered a tract of land along the Pole Branch that J.J. White acquired from Abram Brown on January 29 1917. It is apparent that in order for the Beaver Dam bogs to drain they needed to build a series of canals a very long distance all the way south to the Pole Branch. These canal are some of the longest I have viewed in the pines, but seeing them on modern aerials is almost impossible. These canals go through the J.J. White property and one of the canals is shown in the below map. I am uncertain if J.J. White gave them permission to build the canal through his property, or if the canals were built before he even acquired the land. The bogs are there in the 1931 aerials.

With that said, the only information I had on these stones is shown in the below map. So using HistoricAerials I was able to determine where I believe the NW corner stone(s) are located. I picked a point on a maps and from there proceeded to calculate where I felt the others were. This maps shows the 4 corners, the canal which goes by the stone(s), and had a few hand written notes on it. I was first looking for the green arrow stone(s).

Click to make larger.

whitemap.jpg

So I headed there this morning and after entering the woods I found the old canal. Again, this is one of many canals leading from the bog and I am very close to 1 mile away from the bogs. And this is one of the shorter canals.

IMG_0405.JPG

After visiting and exploring the canal, I started to look for the stones. I went to the GPS cord I picked here in my computer and started to roam around. In no time at all I came up with one of them, and after poking around I found two. Sorry for the slightly blurry photo but I have not purchased another camera as of yet.

IMG_0410.JPG

Next, I headed for the NE corner where the penciled text described the stone and gave an old time description where the stone was. (High stone 30 paces south of road from small blazed tree)

high.jpg

You don't know how disappointed I was not to find this one. I had based the next two stone off of this one so my chances of finding them were much less. However, I headed south and spent the next half hour crossing the cedar swamp and the Pole Branch which can be viewed in this photo.

Pole Branch.

IMG_0414.JPG

And as expected the long walk was for nothing. I could not find the southern stones. So I headed back again through the cedar swamp and across the Pole Branch back to the first stones. Standing there I decided I had to make a second attempt on that High stone and headed there again. This time I actually counted my paces and moved slightly further away. And the result was ...... I had been 75 feet off the first time.

IMG_0419.JPG

With that find I will be much more accurate when I return to find the two southern stones. I then moved on looking for one of the Beaver Dam Bog corner stone just a few hundred feet off of Route 70. Some of my earlier finds allowed me to accurately know where this one was. It is about 40 feet from the Jones Division line for the Hanover Furnace tract.

IMG_0422.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As I have briefly mentioned before the roads in Lebanon changed dramatically between 1931 and 1940 when the CCC worked on them. One location was Mt. Misery/Pasadena Road near the small field bridge that at one time had "Pizza Queen" painted on it. Ben will remember that.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.9168565396611&lng=-74.50851458709718&z=16&type=nj1995&gpx=

Anyway, I was wondering if the old bridge across the North Branch could still be found even though it has not been used since at least 1940, over 75 years ago. Would there be anything left showing?

This photo shows the bridge in yellow from 1931 and on the right it shows the same view in 194o. You can see that the bridge and road more than likely was no longer in use.

Misery.jpg

Today, I spent some time looking around there and I can now tell you that evidence of the yellow arrow bridge still can be found after all of these years.

IMG_0427.JPG

Guy

Reactions: John and bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I like that High stone! Sounds and looked like rough country.Were you alone?Had an early thanksgiving yesterday here and will spend this week gearing up for vacation so my stone hunting down here has been on hold.Finding a lot of nice big ones but nothing inscribed yet.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was alone. My wife was up early so I texted her my GPS cords and when Jessica got up I keep in touch with her letting her know everywhere I go. If she does not hear from me in a certain amount of time I get a text from her. It works quite well. If something happens to me it should not take long for me to be found and buried.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I told Momma bury me where they find me but she keeps saying something about without a body she gets no life insurance.I guess this means I have to suffer the injustices that they deal out to dead bodies then I have to be crowded into a grave yard no matter how bad I"ve detested crowds all my life.No elbow room even for the dead.She did agree however to bury me in camo with a map in one hand and a compass in the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On the Division Line for the Hanover Furnace Tract a series of pipes where hammered in the ground to delineate the line. When this occurred exactly I am uncertain of, however, it was sometime between when the line was made up to the early 1930s. I have been trying to find one for a long time and have been unsuccessful mainly because the Feds at Ft Dix bulldozed many of them. But fortunately the line extends through Whitesbog which somewhat eliminates that problem and today luck was on our side. There are at least 12 of these and maybe many more. This one is in the woods off of the road that passes and goes behind the Reservoir at Whitesbog.

IMG_0433.JPG

Less that 30 feet away is a Brown sandstone on the Division Line also.

IMG_0431.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Are you saying these pipes have been in the ground at least 80 years and still look that good?A lot of pipes listed on the Deeds I"ve plotted recently.Unless their listed to have a stone with them I"ve paid them little heed other then to plot right past them and go straight for the stones.One of these days I"ll run out of stones and may go back looking for the pipes:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am saying just that. That pipe is at least 80 years old. I have field notes of a surveyor from the early 1930s who traveled the line and found them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I spent 6 hours yesterday looking over places I have searched before and came up empty. So I had a few hours very early this morning and went out searching for a few easier monuments.

Have you ever noticed this particular rectangular shaped tract on Ben's maps?

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.89072008703884&lng=-74.4766879995727&z=15&type=terrain&gpx=

Back in 1937 is was called the Dubell Exception to the Hanover Farms tract, and if the rectangle shape (from the state) on Ben's map is correct I would have to assume the land is still private. I tent to doubt that but in any event the state surveyed it during or before 1937 and placed monuments on the corners. I went out today to see if any of the easier ones had stones. I arrived before 6:30 and set out to find a few.

Here is the 1937 survey map showing that most likely the property was purchased for the cedar. You can also see the neighboring lot to the left still had tall cedar while this tract has been disturbed. Today, it is obvious some of cedar has grown back while other portions have not.

DubellException%2008101937.jpg

This shows I did find all that I looked for except one. If you drive by the area anytime this winter look out your window as you drive by and you can easily see one of the monuments. Yellow means I have not looked yet.

Dubell.jpg

I found this yesterday. They have a nice photo of my hand. I did not moon them as some people I know do :)

IMG_0436.JPG

I have to again mention that because of a tip from Gibby a few years back I was able to plot out the monuments in the above photo's fairly easily. I also had been trying to find a stone that his tip helped with but I just was not able to find it. Between my visits with Jessica and numerous visits by myself I came up empty. That is until this morning. With the vegetation waining, and a slight adjustment after finding a few other stones, I stumbled on it fairly quickly today.

First observed. There is a stone and monument in this photo.

IMG_0449.JPG

Closer view of the monument.

IMG_0450.JPG

Easier to see for sure!

IMG_0451.JPG

This stone represents the NW corner of property owned by J.J.White in 1937 fairly close to the Dubell Tract from above.

IMG_0455.JPG

From there I crossed over 70 in a section of woods I have never been in before looking for another pipe for the Hanover Furnace Division Line. The pipe is surely gone. I did however enjoy my visit to this savannah.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.953653909492765&lng=-74.4735600392151&z=17&type=hybrid&gpx=

IMG_0456.JPG

Guy

Reactions: John and manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Dubell exception tract? I think that is now owned by Archie Bell and the drells. Do the tighten up....now let's make it mellow!

By the way, that is parallel to the road I now use to go to Chatsworth area from Bamber (at times). It avoids the Woodmansie sand plant, which is going full throttle. I hear they have dug almost down to China in the mad dash to make concrete for the masses.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dubell exception tract? I think that is now owned by Archie Bell and the drells. Do the tighten up....now let's make it mellow!

By the way, that is parallel to the road I now use to go to Chatsworth area from Bamber (at times). It avoids the Woodmansie sand plant, which is going full throttle. I hear they have dug almost down to China in the mad dash to make concrete for the masses.

Did you notice the Woodmansie plant has enlarged their driveway entrance? I was going to stop and get a photo but it was still dark.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't remember seeing that, but I do know it was more dusty when they were rolling out the last time I was there.

I should have stopped and photographed it. I believe it is all concrete. I am hoping I saw that correctly.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

As I mentioned previously I have been frustrated in not being able to find the property corners of Asa Pittmans North Branch property which early on was one of the outer edges of Lebanon. The information I have is very sketchy on it's location except for a few tidbits here and there. I know one corner is up on a Sandy Ridge and the other is 1139 feet from there. The other two corners are across the North Branch on property that at the time was not state land. One of those are on a hill and the other is a stone in Gassy Pond which I posted photo's of earlier. So after almost 6 months of trying I was looking through some of the surveyor field notes I have and decided to see if I could decipher what they were trying to tell me. They gave bearings and distances from a stone over a thousand feet up the road which Jessica found about a month ago. They were not able to survey in a straight line apparently and used wooden pegs similar to this one to traverse to Asa Pittman's property.

IMG_0764.JPG

So as they worked their way from the stone Jessica found to Asa's property they took notes of their zigzag route. Here is one note and take notice they were marking "wheel tracks" from 75 years ago. Not easy to find.

route.jpg

In any event, I gave it a go and did my best to calculate their route. After a few failed attempts that were way off on a map, I finally came up with a location that seemed plausible. It was on a Sandy Ridge in the 1930's aerial and seemed good with the vague map I had. I went there last weekend and found nothing. So I went back looking through the notes and calculated a few other of the surveyors notes on stones that I already knew the location of. I then realized they were using magnetic north and I was 10 degress off on each of my calculations. So I recalculated Asa Pittman's North Branch property using the surveyors notes with a 10 degree difference and we headed there this morning. When we arrived my GPS said I was 10 feet off, but Asa has left us a nice stone and the state left us a monument. Tomorrow I will search for at least one more.

One of Asa Pittman's North Branch property stones. Finally!

IMG_0466.JPG

Earlier this morning we visited the old North Branch Bogs of J. J. White and found this stone.

IMG_0458.JPG

And before heading home I looked for one of the original Lebanon concrete monuments near Butler Place and found two of them laying on their sides sunk deep into the ground. I am betting they were put there many years ago and never placed in their proper location.

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

Guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Menantico

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Stone searching was on the agenda again today but we came up empty. I went back looking for the two stones along the Pole Branch and I doubt I will ever find them. I am going to give up for a while on them and move on to something else. We then headed to the Beaver Dam Cranberry Bogs to look at the writing on the concrete there and was a little disappointed on the one we visited last week. The last date number is not even there so I still have it as 193?. But I found another one that I did not know of before.

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

On our way home I decided to stop at the Asa Pittman property along the Middle Branch where I searched for stones and monuments in the summer. There was one location that was extremely hard to get to and I wanted to search again. Even this time of year the going was tough but I do not regret at all going there. As we were nearing our intended location along the same route I took in the summer I was shocked to find this gem. It is barely visible this time of year and with it's remoteness it was a great find. It was 90 feet off of Asa Pittman's property and may have been his.

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

Places to go and people to meet!

IMG_0491.JPG

Forget about stopping or giving it gas. They did not even move.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

Needs new tread!

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

This is the rear differential. I suspect that this may have been the actual reason why the vehicle was there. They took the engine and transmission out as they were most likely were still in good shape. This rear was all in pieces which leads to me to believe they tried to fix it and gave up. It still is connected to the car in the proper location but is completely under vegetation and dirt.

IMG_0499.JPG

I always find it interesting to find these little gems. Finding this made my day.

Guy

Last edited: