Lebanon State Forest Project

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
View attachment 11215

So we now know the Alcyon Gun Club had been there as early as 1929.

December 22, 1929

Gunner Brings Down Buck With 8 Prongs

December 22 - A buck with eight prongs was brought back today by Oliver Y. Jackson, of Pitman, who hunted with the Alcyon Hunting Club in the Lebanon State forest at Glasshouse near Ong's Hat.

Three other members of the party also brought down bucks, They are Edwin Walters, of Pitman; Melvin Kirkbride, of Barnsboro, clerk of Mantua Township Board of Education, and William Linkuist, of Merchantville.

I am pretty confident this was Oliver.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/84995725/oliver-y-jackson

Hmm...where my father is buried. I shall pay a visit to Mr Jackson this week.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has been a few years since I posted in this thread. We were in Lebanon today looking for stones and found one along the South Branch of the Mount Misery Brook right on the margin of the upland.

In the yellow circle.

DSC_2967a.jpg

DSC_2964a.jpg

There is a large borrow pit on our way there which I suspect was used by the CCC to build the roads. Way too much dirt was taken out of there for any thing in that area except the roads. Jessica is texting. I bet that never happened there before

DSC_2968a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been looking over the 1930s era notes of one of the surveyor's of Lebanon State Forest and it is apparent that when the previous surveyors from 1914 to 1928 placed the concrete monument in the ground, they piled glass slag from the Lebanon Glass Works around the monuments. Or the slag had been placed there by the owner before the monuments were planted. During all my searching I have never noticed any so today we headed out to check on one of them where it is mentioned.

It says: "at NJ45 8 X 2' L Pile of Glass Slag"

I am assuming it means an 8 by 2 foot long or large pile of glass slag.

slag.jpg

Good thing they had burned the area because in 2014 it was serious briers. Much easier today.

IMG_8816a.jpg

NJ45

IMG_8811a.jpg

I poked and dug in the ground all around the area and found no trace of glass slag.

This monument has SB on it which should be the owners name. However in 1919 when the state acquired the property it was owned by James D. Black. He may have inherited from S. Black or I am missing information to be perfectly accurate.

IMG_8813a.jpg

Notice the 716.58 at the bottom right. That is the acreage.

black.jpg

And here is the data which says 716.54 acres.

716.jpg

Reactions: RednekF350 and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another one bites the dust.

We were passing through Bullock today and noticed it appears that tree trimmers have taken out the Burlington / Ocean County monument placed there in 1935. It has been leaning for over 20 years but this has finished it unless maybe if I put it back in place.

IMG_8826a.jpg

IMG_8824a.jpg

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: Boyd and RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Another one bites the dust.

We were passing through Bullock today and noticed it appears that tree trimmers have taken out the Burlington / Ocean County monument placed there in 1935. It has been leaning for over 20 years but this has finished it unless maybe if I put it back in place.

View attachment 21354

View attachment 21355
If you don't, no one will.