Looking for forum post about "AL" marker stones

butterworths_bog

Mar 3, 2020
Colorado
Hi all,

New here although I've been exploring the Barrens since the 70s. I read a post in these forums a few weeks back about 7 or so marker stones on which the initials "AL" was chiseled sometime in the 19th century. I can't find the post anymore and wanted to share it with someone.

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,
Butterworths Bog -- home of the old Riverside Gun Club, now a ghost site for 11 years

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Hi all,

New here although I've been exploring the Barrens since the 70s. I read a post in these forums a few weeks back about 7 or so marker stones on which the initials "AL" was chiseled sometime in the 19th century. I can't find the post anymore and wanted to share it with someone.

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,
Butterworths Bog -- home of the old Riverside Gun Club, now a ghost site for 11 years

Teegate would be the one to speak with in regards to the AL stones. I had the pleasure to assist him in finding one of these stones. He is the master of stone searching!
Was the Riverside Gun Club the shooting range across from the Wallen’s Farm field?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have been to half a dozen of them and I know Guy has found a few more.The joke going is that their mine since my name is AL:) I actually think the L stands for Lippincot and I think the A may actually stand for Al??? Be warned some of them are quite a nasty trip to get to

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here are the posts. The first one is when Piney Warden was with us.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you know where any are please don't post the locations. Some are along private property and we don't want anyone damaging them.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate would be the one to speak with in regards to the AL stones. I had the pleasure to assist him in finding one of these stones. He is the master of stone searching!
Was the Riverside Gun Club the shooting range across from the Wallen’s Farm field?

I believe the Riverside Gun Club is currently the River-Del Gun Club on Prince street in Chatsworth. Let's see what comes of this.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Butterworths Bog, is there any particular reason you used that name? It is a good choice.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy I still haven't went back to see that one you jess and I were headed to when we turned back because of the briars.Aren't their several you have found that I haven't been to? I know at least that one.We were looking for one you didn't find on the trip befoe at the croner of a high piece of ground just loaded with briars.We didn't find it that time either but you told me if I went north up the briars there was another one you did get to but I was already exhausted and you said it was a beast to get up there and we had a rough walk just to get out from where we were and that stone was further in.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy I still haven't went back to see that one you jess and I were headed to when we turned back because of the briars.Aren't their several you have found that I haven't been to? I know at least that one.We were looking for one you didn't find on the trip befoe at the croner of a high piece of ground just loaded with briars.We didn't find it that time either but you told me if I went north up the briars there was another one you did get to but I was already exhausted and you said it was a beast to get up there and we had a rough walk just to get out from where we were and that stone was further in.

Yes, there are a few you have not visited. There is one more I need to find also.

Reactions: manumuskin

butterworths_bog

Mar 3, 2020
Colorado
I believe the Riverside Gun Club is currently the River-Del Gun Club on Prince street in Chatsworth. Let's see what comes of this.

Riverside was at 15 Butterworths Bogs Rd (double plural) in Tabernacle, NJ. It closed around Feb/Mar 2009 when the landlord would not renew the lease to the club. The landlord's name was 'Wilcox'. The club was active and was self-sustaining from dues, volunteers, etc. As far as I know, the existing members were absorbed/subsumed into 1 or 2 other local clubs. So it's unlikely that River-Del Gun Club on Prince Street is related... at least in my opinion.

In 2009 you could still see the pistol/rifle ranges from google satellite view. I looked the other day and can't really see it. I visited maybe a few years back and at that time, the structures and targets holders, etc, were slowly being reclaimed by the Barrens...

Here are some 11-year--old emails about it from my father to me:

Feb 11, 2009
Before the land owner advised the gun club that he would not renew the lease - He presented a list of demands - These were things like a newsletter, flying the flag, competitive and fun shootouts, club picnics, more workdays, payment of dues by all members (over 65 now free), active match league - All of the things that are normal for the club you passed, as shown on their website - He called the current state of the club a 'plinking' pile - Then, he advised the club to just pack-up and vacate by 30 June - A letter is in the mail, to the club president, with the reason(s) why this is happening

and another email between two high-ranking club members that was forwarded to me.

Wed, Mar 4, 2009
Guy,
The Tabernacle range [note: he means Riverside Gun Club at 15 Butterworths Bogs Rd (double plural) in Tabernacle, NJ ] is no longer available to the club. The lease is up at the end of this month and the club is starting to remove its belongings. I was asked to relay to you that the targets should be removed from the shed as soon as possible, as you are the only person with a key. The tractor shed is being moved out on the 14th. The turning frames, standing frames and covered firing line benches are to remain.
I will call you soon.
Ernie

and finally (also from Guy)
This pretty much says it all. I will be going up there soon to get the targets out. Wilcox really does want to sell the ground and doesn't want active shooting going on. He is also afraid of being sued since he saw the holes in the frames. He thinks they were done by magnum pistol ammo. They weren't but that is what he thinks.

According to my father, 'Wilcox' had been trying to sell the land for around 25 years -- and that was in 2009. I can't believe anyone would buy this land because (1) my understanding is no one can build on that land except 'Wilcox' (owner since before it was protected land) since it's Pine Barrens land (building restricted) and (2) the amount of toxic lead in the soil and area (from bullets and shot) must be sky high. Cleanup costs would be ridiculously expensive.

Butterworths Bog, is there any particular reason you used that name? It is a good choice.
It's the address of the club -- 15 Butterworths Bogs, although I screwed it up and registered as bog instead of bogs. I'd love to swing by the place again, but I live in Colorado now and don't make it back very often.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate