Lost in Time: The Forked River Mountains

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
bruset said:
you can check a bunch of FRM photos out in the image gallery.
Thank you kindly. Lots of good stuff there.

I understand that FRM WMA is pretty expansive. I am looking to get to an area near the GSP wedged in the Middle Branch on a loop. Looking at the topo as well as aerials and road maps, it looks like one could drive there or at least near there. What I do not know is if Longridge Rd. is accessible. Does anyone know?

It looks like Longridge goes almost to the GSP. There is a road heading south off of it that forms a loop. I am looking to get into there. Has anyone here been in there?

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
TeeGate said:
It is much easier for all of us if you zoom in on the area in question using Terraserver.
Sorry about that. Here is the area.

Longridge Rd. is the road which travels from the West link to the North link. Another unnamed road then travels SW to the south side of Middle Branch. At that point there appears to be a loop. It is the loop I wish to get to.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Batona said:
Thank you kindly. Lots of good stuff there.

I understand that FRM WMA is pretty expansive. I am looking to get to an area near the GSP wedged in the Middle Branch on a loop. Looking at the topo as well as aerials and road maps, it looks like one could drive there or at least near there. What I do not know is if Longridge Rd. is accessible. Does anyone know?

It looks like Longridge goes almost to the GSP. There is a road heading south off of it that forms a loop. I am looking to get into there. Has anyone here been in there?

Batona, I am very familiar with that area. Are you trying to get to the trail the Forked River Mountain Coalition put up? I don't use road names either. I use memory and topo maps. If you could use topozone to explain better I could help.

Here? http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=18&X=706&Y=5510&W=1&qs=|forked+river|nj|

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
BobM said:
Are you trying to get to the trail the Forked River Mountain Coalition put up?
I honestly do not know.

BobM said:
If you could use topozone to explain better I could help.
I placed a link in my previous post. Perhaps we posted over each other. This is the area. If that is not what is needed (Terraserver), please let me know. I could create a rough track of what I am thinking of doing and post it somewhere if that would be helpful.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do you want to go where the blue dot is? If so, that is on the pole road as I call it, and you can get there but there are signs warning you to keep off.

poleroad.jpg

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
TeeGate said:
Do you want to go where the blue dot is? If so, that is on the pole road as I call it, and you can get there but there are signs warning you to keep off.
More or less that is where I want to get to.

The signs indicate not to drive down there or that one cannot be there at all?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Batona said:
More or less that is where I want to get to.

The signs indicate not to drive down there or that one cannot be there at all?

I thought I had a photo of the sign, but I just have one of the road.

It basically says to keep out. I guess they don't want anyone hitting the poles so they don't want you there. But there may be other ways to get to the spot you want, so someone may be able to help you out with that.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Batona said:
I honestly do not know.

I placed a link in my previous post. Perhaps we posted over each other. This is the area. If that is not what is needed (Terraserver), please let me know. I could create a rough track of what I am thinking of doing and post it somewhere if that would be helpful.

You are looking at a very, very special area on that shot. That is the middle branch of the forked river. The white line running north/south is the power lines. There are many endangered plants in that area. I have been there many times. It is definitley possible to get there, but once you get to the powerlines, the road is blocked north and south by the creeks. You have to go around. The big water area is a pond formed by blockage. It was a party spot but the forked river mountain coalition cleaned it up good over the years.

ROAD TRIP!

Anyway, good luck if you go alone. If anyone wants to go as a group, I can show you around.........bob

PS: the loop closet to the bottom is the trail we set up. The upper loop has been closed off to vehicles.

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
I was mistaken about the map. The following two dots are places I would like to get to. I do not imagine the southern one to be much of an issue. The northern one on the other side of the water is the one I have been asking about.

It is unclear to me if the roads are driveable and now whether or not one is permitted in there.

Attachments

• frm2.jpg
    frm2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 252

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Theoretically, the answer is no, you should not drive in there. On one of the roads, we purposefully planted young pines in the middle to keep traffic out. The other one is the Forked River Mountain Trail.

Why those 2 spots, precisely?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Theoretically, the answer is no, you should not drive in there. On one of the roads, we purposefully planted young pines in the middle to keep traffic out. The other one is the Forked River Mountain Trail.

Why those 2 spots, precisely?

Is the trail the one on the right?

Guy