Man discovers visual treasures during hikes through Pinelands

Guy:

I read this article this morning in the paper and I am still scratching my head about what the reporter wrote. The article indicated the man discovered digital photography about three years ago. Then the reporter states that the man develops his own digital film and prints the images in a studio at his house. Digital film?!?!?!?!?!? Developing!?!?!?! Obviously I am using my digital camera all wrong!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hey, I know that guy. During Bob Bruneau's hike..."Boogie to the Unknown Bog"....we met him at Wescoat Bogs. He was interested in our club and I sent him email notices, but he never came. That was around 2002.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a little strange. But if you put "darkroom" in quotes then it might make more sense. If you build a fast computer with lots of memory, a good display and Photoshop CS3 you might call it your "darkroom". Adobe encourages that idea with their terminology of "digital negatives". See:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative_(file_format)

I suspect most people would take it to mean film. They would need to explain that in the article I would think.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I will say in my opinion some of the best talent on Barrens photography worldwide exists here, on this site now, and those fellows are surely capable of publication.
This particular offering though is... Breathtaking. This belongs here.
Good stuff.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice photo's. However, some to me seem a little too red and played with too much. Anyone else?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wow,
His gallery is exceptional. I think some people just have a gift. I recently watched a show on PBS about Seneca Ray Stoddard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Ray_Stoddard
What an amazing explorer and his primative photography makes my high tech digital stuff look like absolute crap. If you have a chance to see it, it's real cool.
Tom

I'd like to see his work. I love the Adirondacks.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Bob,
You have to see this program. He took photos that were made into sterographical images and they are nothing short of amazing. I think he made his own cameras and lenses and on top of all that he explored what was then unknown wilderness carefully documenting everything with journals and photos. I don't recall the exact name of the show on PBS, but I couldn't find it using their search engines. I had never heard of him but now I'd love to see all of his work. I think it spent about 100 years locked away in a warehouse.
Tom

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Very nice photo's. However, some to me seem a little too red and played with too much. Anyone else?

Guy

Aah, they should put me in front of a firing squad for playing with (some of) my photos. :)

One can't help noticing that a good percentage of Horner's gallery are photographs of "pinelands meeting water" locations. That sure is where the magic happens. This guy is real good; a pro, for sure. Postcard/calendar quality. It's a lot harder to create the perfect picture than one thinks. He's a photographer who obviously has the eye and patience to do this. If I live long enough to retire from a busy, busy schedule to plan for and/or await the perfect lighting conditions, the mists, the atmosphere, develop the eye, etc. ... quality work like Horner's would be my goal.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Whippoorbill is the Andy Warhol of the pines. He takes things you have seen many and presents them in a different light or angle which makes you appreciate them even more. Sort of like eating oatmeal every day for breakfast and he comes along and throws in some brown sugar and cinnamon.