Mary Ann Forge

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I admire how you pull map sections together to illustrate and illuminate a piece of history. Mary Ann Forge--even the name invites me to explore. Another ghost has been edged toward daylight, thanks to you!

Glo

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great article, Jerseyman!!! I have to pick up the Borton booklet to see the '20's photos of the mary ann ruins. the '49 map of burlington county depicts structures that match my observations in the area. However, there are additional structures depicted further down stream that I have not located. I have been in there but the depressions might be hard to discern. Also, that area downstream is something of a flood plain now. That might not have been the case in the mid 1880's when the dam was still intact.

I mentioned to you sometime ago that I still had some unfinished business in my exploration of Mary Ann. At present it remains unfinished, but I hope to complete it soon. As time time allows. I will keep you posted on that...I haven't forgotten.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A good read Jerseyman. This last sentence reminds me that we had a good debate on this subject in a post awhile back...
"At some point in time following the cessation of ironworking, the area around Mary Ann Forge became dedicated to cranberry production." Yes, I remember the canals etc.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have a name to attach to the bogs at Mary Ann Forge. From the Trenton Evening Times, August 14, 1915:

CRANBERRY CROP DAMAGED BY RAIN

Bogs, Flooded by Streams, Cause Loss of Thousands of Dollars in Burlington

BURLINGTON, Aug. 14.— Thousands of dollars' loss has come to the cranberry growers of Burlington and adjoining counties through the flooding of bogs by the overflow of water created by the recent heavy rains and hardly a grower has escaped, without some damage. Nearly every stream affecting bogs has been swollen beyond its usual proportions, and It has been impossible for the eras-berry men to keep the water off their berries.

In times of such overflows the loss is not very heavy if the water moves off quickly, but where it stays on the bogs long enough for the berries to become waterlogged there is nothing that will save them from destruction. It has been the latter condition that most of the growers have been called upon to face at just the time when the berries will not withstand a soaking. Down in Shamong Township, along the southern border of the county, there was a total rainfall of about seven inches last week, and this will give some idea of the manner in which the cranberries in that section have been hit. The crop of Charles' H. Pittman, at Mary Ann Forge, has been ruined. The growers above him had more water than they could control, and when Mary Ann Forge stream became swollen it was impossible for Pittman to provide sufficient drainage for his own protection.

Reactions: DashRyan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well done Ben!

Now I will add to that.

He had a daughter who died.

Obituaries
Died.
November 23, 1887
At Mount Relief, November 1st, 1887, Binnie W., infant daughter of Charles H. and Sarah Pittman.

He died about 5 years after your article.

Obituary
March 24, 1920
The death of Charles H. Pittman, of Mount Misery in Woodland township, one of the best known residents of the pine district in Burlington county, occurred on Wednesday. He had been in ill health for about a year. The deceased was 66 years of age.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Even more.

February 28, 1906

A stranger described as having the appearance of a wild man assumed the role of a highwayman and held up James Giberson, Sr., employed by Blanchard H. White, while he was driving from this place to visit his father-in-law, Charles Pitman, at Mount Misery, on Saturday night. The road over which Giberson was compelled to travel is located in the thickest of the pine belt in this county and lonely. He had reached Mary Ann Forge when the man sprang out and grabbed his horse. Having no weapon with which he could defend himself Giberson resorted to a vigorous application of the whip upon the horse and when it started the stranger was knocked down. The driver did not wait to ascertain if the man had sustained any injury, but instead urged the horse to a more rapid gait. The highwayman has not been caught. ...

Reactions: DashRyan