Most Remote Area in the Pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Hey, don't make that sound like such a put-down... I'm generally a "trail hiker" myself! :) I have been known to wander off occasionally, but I'll leave it to you guys to pick the ticks off and tell us stories about how many hours you spent wandering around lost in the swamps... that just ain't my idea of a fun afternoon ;)

It was not a put down.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I remember reading the back cover of that book in a book store. It looked very interesting. There was a "movie" on PBS about a month ago, I believe it was called Alone in the Wilderness". A guy went into the woods in Alaska around 1968 and didn't come out until around 1995. While he was out there he filmed his experience on a hand wound 8mm camera. It was very cool.

As for the most remote spot...for sheer inaccessability, lack of passable roads, and distance I would tend to lean toward the great swamp. However, many areas I regard as remote are areas that have been overlooked by most people. Pockets of woods that are outside any main points of popular interest in the pine barrens, and are seldom noticed and often neglected. I've taken inventory of these spots and know of areas where I have seen absolutly no evidence of human existance at all. Not even hunters. Locations such as these strike me as the most remote, although, on a map they may not appear so. It is totally possible to disappear and achive isolation if you know where to go.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
I remember reading the back cover of that book in a book store. It looked very interesting. There was a "movie" on PBS about a month ago, I believe it was called Alone in the Wilderness". A guy went into the woods in Alaska around 1968 and didn't come out until around 1995. While he was out there he filmed his experience on a hand wound 8mm camera. It was very cool.

As for the most remote spot...for sheer inaccessability, lack of passable roads, and distance I would tend to lean toward the great swamp. However, many areas I regard as remote are areas that have been overlooked by most people. Pockets of woods that are outside any main points of popular interest in the pine barrens, and are seldom noticed and often neglected. I've taken inventory of these spots and know of areas where I have seen absolutly no evidence of human existance at all. Not even hunters. Locations such as these strike me as the most remote, although, on a map they may not appear so. It is totally possible to disappear and achive isolation if you know where to go.

Jeff

I saw the special on that guy too. What an interesting life he led. He died about a week after he was shown that documentary that a couple guys put together from his 8mm film.

I agree with you on those pockets Jeff. I think areas between 2 tributaries of creeks show the least evidence, because people usually don't go to the trouble. Several areas come to my mind. I think Boyd is right about the area around goose pond too. Not only is it remote, most are afraid to drive that far in the pygmy pines through sugar sand. Along Cedar Creek on the southern end, it is so packed with briars and swamp, they have not even cut a road in there, which is highly unusual for alongside a major stream.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=18&X=703&Y=5521&W=2

And this area along the Pope Branch by route 72 Guy and I visited. It is a great camp site, a sandy knoll that you have to get too by fighting your way through thin cedars. Once you are there, you are surrounded by cedar swamp.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=2731&Y=22040&W=2

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Its not the Pines, but I'm going to check out this area in the near future. Ever since she read my little diatribe about the sprawl of north Jersey my girlfriend is determined to show me the little known secrets of the area.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat...s=50&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.843391,-74.373965&spn=0.021544,0.033689&z=2&t=k&hl=en

This is the Troy Meadows Natural Area in East Hanover Township. Like most of the wilderness areas in north Jersey it has been severely encroached upon, in this case by utility companies, interstates 280 and 80, and housing developments. It is actually part of the northern Great Swamp, but has long since been cut off from most of it, so it remains an area unto itself bounded by civilization on all sides. You can see how thick the cover is as well as the vastness of the swamps as well as the strange appearance of them. This certainly is not the most remote area of New Jersey but it definitely should be interesting. It's difficult to make out, but there is a road that cuts nearly to the center of the portion I outlined in the satellite photo that is on the "map" version. I'm not sure if its paved, but if it is marked it should be passable. As you can see there are other lines that appear to be man made that crisscross the area, I really can't tell whether these are roads, trails, or ditches at this point. I'm assuming that vehicle access to the greater area is more than likely not permitted, but I'm sure that there are probably ATV and other trails given the close proximity to housing developments. Also, the odd thing about these types of areas in north Jersey is that they don't seem to be supervised in any sort of manner. Granted, conservation officers and rangers in the pines are few and far between in places like Wharton, but these areas are pretty small and one would think easy to patrol in comparison. Anyway, I know its getting away from the topic, but since I can't do any Pines exploration I might as well get my fill of the outdoors somewhere! Hopefully I'll have some pictures posted soon.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Thinking" --- "Remote"

bruset said:
I've been doing a lot of thinking and wanted to start a thread to see what other people thought.

What do you think is the most remote area in the Pines?

That's a question that's stumping me...

Ben,

You asked, I'm answering...

A older glassblower from Thueringen I had opportunity to work with several decades ago, probably frustrated by some of my "creative" ideas for lab. glass, gave me some sage advice...

"Lass das Denken den Pferden:​
sie haben groessere Koepfe!​

("Leave the thinking to horses: they have larger heads!")​

Ben, if you think enough about some things, it will make you "coo coo"... That's what's so nice about this site --- It provides a great opportunity for many of us to "get away from it all." :)

Martin Landau, the actor, who portrayed a "baddie" in Hitcthcock's "North by Northwest" (A point that doesn't exist on any compass...), said that "Hitch" used to say a lot of things, just, Martin thought, to make his peers "coo coo."

The term "remote" can mean the closest link to civilization, a paved road, for example...

Almost five decades ago, when I was still in high school, a classmate from LBI got lost somewhere "in the woods" around New Egypt. I guess he had relatives there... When the searchers finally found him, a few days later, they found him, with the two dogs he was with, lying between two mattresses. For him, I would venture to say, the area he was in at that time was definitely "remote"...

"Remote" can also be the next room, if you're in an "iron lung" --- or the nearest drug store or food market, if you are disabled, and have no transportation...:(

For me, now severely disabled, almost anywhere more than 10 feet off of a paved road is "remote." Now I am not able to get "out" as much as I would like --- or to the places I would like to go to do my research. It is very hard for me, because decades ago, I could hike, walk, ride, drive whereever I liked, whenever I liked: today, I have to plan my trips, contract others to do some research, and prioritize my "wants"... I have to rely on the eyes, ears (and cameras --- thanks, Guy!) of others to help me with my research...:cool:

ebsi

P.S.: I used to ride the back woods trail of the Pines with my father. He knew everyone in the area. Once, more than a decade ago, we got stuck in some soft sand, he just walked to the next gunning club, and some guys with a pick--up drove him back (and pulled us out). "Remote"? Not really. I don't remember ever being in the woods and not meeting someone... Quite often it was one of the Hug boys from New Gretna in an old, beat--up, black pick--up with an incessantly barking dog leaning out the rider's side window...:)

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Remote" and "remote"

Gerania said:
remote - 1 : separated by an interval or space greater than usual
2 : far removed in space, time, or relation.

Remote, that one is a little harder to come by. With so many roads and trails into the woods and all of the people with 4WD, dirt bikes, even hikers, do you think that you could get far enough away to *feel*...

Gillian

Gillian,

"Remote" can be a "state of mind," too. Practitioners of Zen will tell you that. However, I have found that you don't necessarily need to practice Zen in order to be "remote." I have met a lot of people, in my time, who are "remote"...:jeffd:

ebsi

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
Boyd said:
Hmm, would that be "most remote" or "most secluded"... or "most inaccessible" maybe? :)

I would place a much more subjective slant on it... places which seem like the end of the earth, where it's hard to remember you're in New Jersey. It probably doesn't meet your definition, but this general area seems "remote" to me:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.772868,-74.465933&spn=0.022316,0.037422&t=k&hl=en

i hike in that area quite a bit, alot of nothing but an interesting place just the same, quite large area

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Remote" --- "Great Swamp" --- "Mount Misery"

woodjin said:
There was a "movie" on PBS about a month ago, I believe it was called Alone in the Wilderness". A guy went into the woods in Alaska around 1968 and didn't come out until around 1995. While he was out there he filmed his experience on a hand wound 8mm camera. It was very cool.

As for the most remote spot...for sheer inaccessability, lack of passable roads, and distance I would tend to lean toward the great swamp.
Jeff

Jeff,

I concur: That place in Alaska seemed to be quite "serene" --- and somewhat "off the beaten path"... He did have a "neighbor" or two, and then there was the guy with his aeroplane, who flew--in everything from Portland Cement to onion sets and green beans...

The "Great Swamp," forty--some years ago was not so "remote." I got stuck there more than once in my "recycled" Bell Telephone truck (a "Dodge," which has some "extra meaning" if you're in the "Great Swamp"). I just walked to the nearest farmer and had him pull me out. For mycologists and 'shroom hunters, alike, it was "paradise"... Haven't been there since '68: They tell me its flooded, now... Green Village Road, sob, is under water... I loved to drive through the area in the fall...

One of Samuel "Bryant's" granddaughters was born in Mount Misery. I've read that one of her famous sayings was, "I was born in "'Misery," and I've been in misery ever since!"

Jeff, how remote is Mount Misery, today? I understand the old stage road, that went from Cedar Bridge to ROG to "Old" Halfway, took a "dog leg" turn at Pasadena or "Bullock," where the road crossed the train tracks, and went up through Mount Misery on to Mount Holly. Is that information correct? Are there any accessible, paved roads in Mount Misery, today?

ebsi

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
ebsi,

Your writing tips me off that you are a fun guy to be around. If you want, some day I will pick you up in my 4 wheeler and visit your favorite pines places and gladly listen to your stories.

PS: you don't charge to listen to your stories do you? I will pay a little, but I am kinda down on my luck right now.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
ebsi2001 said:
Jeff,

I concur: That place in Alaska seemed to be quite "serene" --- and somewhat "off the beaten path"... He did have a "neighbor" or two, and then there was the guy with his aeroplane, who flew--in everything from Portland Cement to onion sets and green beans...

The "Great Swamp," forty--some years ago was not so "remote." I got stuck there more than once in my "recycled" Bell Telephone truck (a "Dodge," which has some "extra meaning" if you're in the "Great Swamp"). I just walked to the nearest farmer and had him pull me out. For mycologists and 'shroom hunters, alike, it was "paradise"... Haven't been there since '68: They tell me its flooded, now... Green Village Road, sob, is under water... I loved to drive through the area in the fall...

One of Samuel "Bryant's" granddaughters was born in Mount Misery. I've read that one of her famous sayings was, "I was born in "'Misery," and I've been in misery ever since!"

Jeff, how remote is Mount Misery, today? I understand the old stage road, that went from Cedar Bridge to ROG to "Old" Halfway, took a "dog leg" turn at Pasadena or "Bullock," where the road crossed the train tracks, and went up through Mount Misery on to Mount Holly. Is that information correct? Are there any accessible, paved roads in Mount Misery, today?

ebsi

The "dog leg" turn occurs as pasadena rd meets Mt Misery rd by the tracks at Bullock. It is actually more of a straight line as come from old half way at that point. It is paved from there to route 70 as I think Ben had mentioned. However it is rough pavement at times with lots of pot holes. The Methodist retreat is located where Mt Misery proper once was. I don't know if you are familar with the retreat, I think it has been around for a while. It is dirt from route 70 to Browns Mills junction (3 miles) and then paved again for another two miles or so to New Lisbon.

So many of the roads in the great swamp have been swallowed up. The water levels there are always changing dramatically. Any recollections you have on the great swamp or anyplace in the pines for that matter will be recieved with enthusiam!!! Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
remote

here in Virginia we have several designated wilderness areas.They are awesome places. I alway see people there, if I want remote I head to the pines,Last november I spent two nights out,just wandering around from atsion to mannis and back up to hampton.Spent alot of time off trail on the batsto.Tons of wildlife,beautiful scenery,fresh air, quiet,I even found bear tracks.I saw no one till the last day at hampton. I felt as though I had a very remote wilderness expierence.
I met a man from Montana once who said there was no wilderness on the east coast I disagree, I think the wilderness is more about what is inside than what is outside.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Many fascinating and informative takes on this.
I will try, in my humble opinion to simplify this.

The most remote area of the pines is wherever you are and someone else is
not.

Just my 2 pence.
G.

Reactions: Trailwalker

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Real "Remote"

The remote on my sofa is about as remote as I'll get, remotely speaking. That's why I keep pushing the buttons!!! All kidding aside, my absolutely most favorite REMOTE place in the Pines is the upper Batsto River in a canoe in February as close to the middle of the week (Wednesday?) as possible when there are no holidays and it's COLD, at Lower Forge Wilderness Camp,and then just WAIT for that old sun to go down. You will hear yourself think, that's how quiet and remote it is. So, remote is not just a place, it's also a time of the week, day of the month, and month of the year. Timing is as critical as geography my friends. :cool: Have fun and love God's creation! Yeah!!! I also remember (1975) a place near Bear Swamp Hill, in a cedar swamp, that looked like we had gone 10,000 years back in time. Awesome.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
ebsi2001 said:
Martin Landau, the actor, who portrayed a "baddie" in Hitcthcock's "North by Northwest" (A point that doesn't exist on any compass...), said that "Hitch" used to say a lot of things, just, Martin thought, to make his peers "coo coo."

Funny that you mention that... I just watched my North by Northwest DVD again last night! Hitchcock was a fascinating guy... read the biography that Francois Truffaut wrote for some insights. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671604295/103-9136110-1107010?v=glance&n=283155