Most Remote Area in the Pines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ben Ruset, May 1, 2005.

1. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

I think you are on the right track Ed, and I have another twist to that. I rate remoteness on the difficulty or reluctance someone who doesn't know the woods would have in trying to follow my tracks in to say hello. :D

RednekF350 likes this.
  2. RednekF350

RednekF350 Piney

"Hello there Mr. Plant Guy. Fancy meeting you here."

3. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

:cool: Oh yeah. You and any other PBX guy I would not be surprised to see.

4. Jason Bladzinski

Jason Bladzinski Explorer

Yeah, I think Verizon is a bit superior to AT&T. The coverage is a bit more spotty in my experience with AT&T.

5. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey New Member

Verizon definitely has better coverage in the pine barrens. T-mobile doesn't even work consistently at Goshens Pond, let alone in the center of Wharton. When I camp at Goshen's I sometimes have to drive down to where the Atsion cabins are to make a phone call. There's service for maybe a mile or two east of 206 and then again on the other side at Washington's Tavern. In between, and all the way down to the beginning of Batsto Lake, and north almost to the Carranza monument, is a big dead zone. Tmobile is cheap for multiple lines, which is why I have it, but bad for exploring in the woods.

Speaking of Goshen's Pond campground-- the water from that hand pump by the main parking area is both safe to drink and tastes great. I'm normally suspicious of things like that, but my daughter, who likes to play with the pump, once decided she wanted to drink the water. She was really persistent about it and I finally relented, figuring the diarrhea wouldn't kick in until we decamped and drove home the next morning. We both ended up drinking a bunch of it, and it is perfectly fine and tastes better than the chlorinated tapwater you're used to.

That campground, despite being labelled "wilderness camping" is far from it-- you'll see lots of cars as well as the state park police driving by all night long.

6. turtle

turtle Explorer

Again.....stating "guy"....:p

Teegate likes this.
  7. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Well, if she's there, he's there. :p

Teegate likes this.
  8. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Biggest sand filter in the world. I don't know why you doubted it.

9. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

If you travel around a bit there are plenty of remote places other than Wharton. We were on the side of a steep hill yesterday along the Webb's Mill Branch that made me feel remote. Wharton may have the distance advantage but many other places have that remote feel and actuality to them.

bobpbx likes this.
  10. Zach McGarvey

Zach McGarvey New Member

I have been paranoid ever since contracting Giardiasis in Mexico a few years back. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! This one did for about six weeks after I got home. Like, every ten minutes for those six weeks.

Also, the antiparasitic drug Flagyl is the only cure but while taking it, it makes you feel even worse. I had this awful metallic taste in my mouth and developed all kinds of weird sores in my mouth for a few days that made it impossible to eat. Apparently those are common side effects. It's still better than the parasite infection-- people die all the time from extreme diarrhea.

11. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

I can understand your hesitation.