Mount Misery One-Room School

Folks:

Came across these two images the other day and I thought some would enjoy viewing them. The first image is the Mount Misery School. The second photo depicts the Johnson Place School. It appears both schools were already derelict at the time the photographer snapped the pictures. Notice the door standing part way open in the second photo.

Mount Misery School front.jpg

Mount Misery School rear.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice one! Zoom in on the chimney in the bottom photo and check out the hodge-podge of bricks.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Nice pictures, the second one looks like the front of a classic one room school house. I don't know about the first photo. Are they both school Houses?

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman,

They are two deferent buildings? The first is built right on the ground and the second has a foundation, the first chimney is chimney blocks and the second is chimney brick. The windows are deferent and if you look to the left of the second one it looks like something is built onto the back of it. And the second one has eave returns.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Three windows on the side of the bottom photo and one on the top photo. The top one is smaller.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Thanks Jerseyman,

They are a nice find, will be interesting to know about the first buildings.

I'm thinking the second photo is a classic one room school house with plenty of windows for light.
No windows on the front wall. It would have rows of hooks, as the kids came in the front door they would hang their coats and hats on the hooks and go in to class. The chimney and woodstove would be on the back wall away from the children where the teacher could control and keep an eye on it. Don't know where they kept the hickory switch.

Don

Thanks Jerseyman,

They are a nice find, will be interesting to know about the first buildings.

I'm thinking the second photo is a classic one room school house with plenty of windows for light.
No windows on the front wall. It would have rows of hooks, as the kids came in the front door they would hang their coats and hats on the hooks and go in to class. The chimney and woodstove would be on the back wall away from the children where the teacher could control and keep an eye on it. Don't know where they kept the hickory switch.
Don

Don:

I edited my original posting to reflect the correct information.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Don Catts

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Are those photos from the Ewan scrapbooks? If I remember correctly I have a copy of them on my Flickr account and he had them filed in the woodmansie section. Now I am just going by memory on this and could be wrong. Could have just simply been filed in that section.
https://flic.kr/p/aTQa52

Last edited:

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Folks:

Came across these two images the other day and I thought some would enjoy viewing them. The first image is the Mount Misery School. The second photo depicts the Johnson Place School. It appears both schools were already derelict at the time the photographer snapped the pictures. Notice the door standing part way open in the second photo.

View attachment 7628

View attachment 7629

Best regards,
Jerseyman