mt .misery rd

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
i was driving on pasedena road on sunday and decided to take that right turn across from the park there. i always thought it was a private road , boy was i wrong . it went alway to 70 . i was looking for that dirt road with all those celler holes . but i didn't find it . any help finding it would be great . i tryed every dirt road but i didn't see any celler holes or abandend blue car. can any help me to this spot. alfonso

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
if i recall correctly, pasadena road forks after passing the old railroad tracks on the right........the left is well traveled by gravel trucks from the quarry near seventy two........the right hand fork,when last i traveled it........was almost overgrown with trees on the side.........the paved portions were starting to unravel...........has the town ever cut the brush...........it must be almost undriveable now..............the road went to mt misery........lordy,what a name.........shows you how bad living must have been back then........and then out to seventy...............i recall there was some type of retreat place there........how could you find rest and relaxation in a place with that name...........others have remarked on the fact that the roadway in from seventy is the locale of many timber rattler sightings.............even carlton beck mentioned an old piney of the era commenting on the numerous rattlers there.........some warm spring day,i must try looking for some on the road.............there is either a rocky den back there,or they are attracted by the warm pavement...........press on guys, karl

PrettyWaste

Mar 1, 2004
Jersay
Ive been to Mt Misery... And if you travel RT 70 Towards Seaside Heights it is on you right hand side of the road... And tou pass camp grounds.. Its nothing much interesting, although the 2x that i have gone Theres this car that comes flying up the road behind you and then just diappears.. Its creepy.. I never really thought much of it until i thought about how there was absolutely nowhere for that car to have turned off at.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Rattlesnake Ace's house was right where the Upton Station used to be off Route 70. I was told that by Don Taylor who is in the Foxchase book. I remember Beck said that was a hotspot for the rattlers. Actually, he sid the Mt Misery area was a hotspot which is close by.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
i was always freaked out about mt. misery road after driving down it one day last summer. i noticed a house out of nowhere that had such creepy attributes... a camera was mounted on a tree and aimed at the front door. all of the shades were down on the windows and it was afternoon. after this encounter, i have always been kind of afraid to go back... i have actually been on the other side of the road too and seen the cellar holes. arent they across the street from a gun club or something?

George

Apr 8, 2003
Browns Mills New Jersey
A little clarification on Mt Misery road might be of help. From Rt 70, Mt Misery Rd goes past the Methodist Camp to Pasenda Rd. The road is paved but rough in a few spots, with potholes. At the town of Bullock (east end of the road) there are cellar holes (pretty much intact)on the left, just past the gun club.

George

N

nodrogyetter

Mt. Misery

I have been on Mt. Misery road many times before.
The road is quite erie at night, but nothing really happened on the road while I traveled it.
Anyone notice the railroad at the end of it? pretty cool!

N

nodrogyetter

did any one take pic of Mt. Misery road at night?
I did and got some ORBS, at a certain part of the road.
pretty weird!!! :think:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I once went up Mt. Misery road from Bullock and somehow found an abandoned building with a huge covered outdoor picnic area.

I've tried to find it several times since then, but I never can. Even aerial photos don't help.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Ben, is it possible you were thinking of the building on Savoy Blvd across from Pioneer Smelting affectionately called "The Sex Plant"?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Nope - it was definately down Mount Misery Road (or in that area). Looked like a state building. Small concrete structure with a larger outdoor picnic area enclosed with a huge metal roof.

B

BarryC

Isn't it a Methodist Camp, for Methodist Churches to have Revivals or something? Why would public schoolers go there?
Piney1125 said:
What is it like at the Mt. Misery camp? All 6th graders here in Cherry Hill go there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My mom started driving a bus for Cherry Hill schools in 1973, and they were going to Mt. Misery then. She would drive them up on a Monday and pick them up on Friday. They would learn enviromental issues. The place is nothing special, with one building where they all eat together. My mom thinks that they stayed about 4 per room in small buildings. Ben and I drove through it once, and that is the only time I have been there. Ben you may remember that your GPS told us to turn in the driveway, but we then realized it was the road right after it.

Barry, the Methodist retreat is Sooy Place just past the 206 circle on 70. My aunt was involved with that over 40 years ago when I was a kid. She built some of the buildings there doing much of the electrical work.

Guy

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
The Methodist camp in Sooy Place is called Delanco, like the town Delanco. My kids have both stayed there as well as Mt. Misery camp, which is Methodist as well. Both camps offer discounts to low income families. Of course their activities center around a religious theme. Both are good camps and my boys had positive experineces at both.
........Sue......

B

BarryC

That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure the first time I drove by Mt. Misery Camp I saw a sign that said "Mt. Misery Camp- United Methodist Church".
From attending Methodist Churches in the past I remember hearing of Mt. Misery, Delanco and Malaga Camps, and possibly others that I'm just not remembering anymore.
suresue592003 said:
The Methodist camp in Sooy Place is called Delanco, like the town Delanco. My kids have both stayed there as well as Mt. Misery camp, which is Methodist as well. Both camps offer discounts to low income families. Of course their activities center around a religious theme. Both are good camps and my boys had positive experineces at both.
........Sue......