Music for the day

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Your dating yourself Abrams , you Old Hippie :)

Well, according to his profile, @M1 Abrams was 11 years old on that August day in 1969. That was the summer before my junior year in college and I had a job. But several friends were at Woodstock and returned with lots of stories.

I remember going to the Woodstock movie when it was released in 1970 and it was great. Which reminds me me... time to watch it again! :dance:

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Remembering those lost on September 11

On this day of national remembrance and mourning for the nearly three thousand killed in the attacks of September 11, 2001, my mind can't help but also go back nine years before that date.

In the summer of 1992, a young man of fifteen by the name of Kurt Wilhelm came to work on our farm. He was small of stature, about 5'3" 115, but sturdy and with a big heart. He did as much hard work as me or any other man that summer, including weeks spent throwing watermelons. He won over everyone not just by his toughness, but also his personality. He always seemed to have a big grin on his face. Be it my family and I or his fellow workers, we all just loved Kurt.

On September 11, 1992, while a passenger in his friend's pickup, they were hit by another vehicle. Both Kurt and his friend were killed.

In the midst of dealing with the most horrendous tragedy imaginable, Kurt's mother and stepfather, and their whole extended family, took me into their hearts. To this day, they are among my dearest friends in the world.

This is the claddagh that Kurt's mother gave me soon after Kurt died. It shows signs of wear, as does its owner. The extended family has had to face other tragedies over the years, and it has been my honor to stand with them.

Kurt Wilhelm claddagh_smaller.png

Thank you all for your indulgence in allowing me not only to honor the dead of 9/11/2001, but also my friend (and his).

This composition is called Spiegel im Spiegel, which translates into Mirror (or Mirrors) in the Mirror. Hearing it, the thought comes to mind: "We remember what was lost, yet endure and move forward." I think it's a remarkable work.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Did you ever fall in love with a performer? This is Lisa Hannigan, an Irish singer. She's married now so I had to tone it down. I saw her in Philadelphia 6 years ago, seems like it was yesterday. Something about her breathless way of singing, her songs, and her innocence. She is very talented and writes and composes most of her songs. When she sings solo is when I like it best. After this one below I'll post a nice short one by her.