Music for the day

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Denny Laine, co-founder of The Moody Blues and Wings, singer, songwriter, and guitarist, died earlier today at the age of seventy-nine. He left The Moody Blues in 1966, but was a member of Wings with Paul and Linda McCartney through the band's full run. He co-wrote Mull of Kintyre with Paul McCartney.

He was only twenty-one here when he sang Go Now, the first hit for The Moody Blues.

Reactions: bobpbx

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
Now you've done it, Bob...I'm listening to Days of Future Passed as I'm writing this. (Thanks!) :) The Moody Blues were always one of my favorites. The first incarnation of the group was quite a bit different from what it would become, but that version of Go Now is a great song in its own right. The group went through a special sort of metamorphosis, where instead of a dumpy caterpillar becoming a beautiful butterfly, one beautiful butterfly changed into a different sort of beautiful butterfly. (If I try to expound on this any further, Al's going to start calling me a hippie again!)

Thank you too for the introduction to Lisa Hannigan. Was that you in the back calling out for Blue Moon? ;)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I saw a photo this morning; a couple in a cabin in Kentucky from around 1895 or so. It reminded me of this CD I had that I played very often about 17? years ago. Done by June Carter Cash, backed up by Johnny. On this track, I found her voice perfectly suited for it; really gives it an old time feeling.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I saw a photo this morning; a couple in a cabin in Kentucky from around 1895 or so. It reminded me of this CD I had that I played very often about 17? years ago. Done by June Carter Cash, backed up by Johnny. On this track, I found her voice perfectly suited for it; really gives it an old time feeling.

Bob I thought you more of a Hippie.I see you have a bit of Hillbilly in you too.Perhaps a HipBilly? June carter always said her sisters had the purty voices thats why she had to be funny,she said it was all she had.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Robert Hunter said "By "box of rain," I meant the world we live on, but "ball of rain" didn't have the right ring to my ear, so box it became, and I don't know who put it there." (from The Complete Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics, p138)

This line has always haunted me...

Such a long, long time to be gone and a short time to be there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Love in the afternoon. I always liked the concept.

Jerry Garcia created the 'Jerry Garcia Band' aside from the Dead. The one and only album made was "Cats under the Stars". I've always liked this song on that album.

Reactions: noboat

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
On Sunday, February 9, 1964, The Ed Sullivan Show featured Dutch magician Fred Kaps, the cast of the Broadway musical "Oliver" (including a pre-Monkees Davy Jones), Frank Gorshin (pre-Riddler), the comedy duo of McCall and Brill, and the acrobatic team of Wells and the Four Fays. In addition, British singer Tessie O'Shea performed three songs.

Also appearing and making their live U.S. television debut were four young guys from Liverpool.

Here is their closing number of the night:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was never a fan of new country, but this is the most skeevy performance I've ever heard. You just don't do something like this. It's cheap and indefensible.