My first Orchid of the season

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Today was one of those days that I didn't want to end. Thirteen hours in the pines! The weather was perfect and not one fly was a bother. I tracked all over Wharton and Penn, finally finding yellow orchids in two different areas. All in all, a great day.

Crested yellow orchid (P. cristata)
yellowfringesml.jpg

A close up

yellowclosesml.jpg

Green Woodland Orchid (H. clavellatta) was in bloom too.

greenwoodsml.jpg

One site, I found Crested yellow orchids growing next to White-fringed orchids. Is it possible for the two to produce hybrids?

Reactions: oji and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice! A perfect day to be in the pines and enjoy the plants.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Gibby, Platanthera x canbyi is a P. blephariglottis and P. cristata hybrid. I was in Wharton and Lebanon today, no orchids but several rarities and a great day to be outside and a plant course field trip tomorrow.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Gibby, Platanthera x canbyi is a P. blephariglottis and P. cristata hybrid. I was in Wharton and Lebanon today, no orchids but several rarities and a great day to be outside and a plant course field trip tomorrow.

Thanks Oji. I will do further reading on P. x canbyi. The reason I asked was because the one location I found both orchids are isolated by water and a road. It is only a few square yards in size. Knowing now that it is possible for them to hybridize, this could be a location to watch in the years to come.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
006.JPG 15th Platanthera clavellata, a little long in the tooth. I have been a bit preoccupied with other plants and things.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
watch that sphagnum Oji.Last yellerjacket episode I stepped on a nest was this time of year in a dried out swamp with spagnum all over the mud.Now i am jacket shy in mid summer in spagnum swamps with low water.I tripped,fell and boy they had fun with me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would encourage everyone to download Tom's photo and view it at full size. Tom... the photo is quite nice!

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Thanks, Guy! The bad news is that I only saw 3 of them, but I just walked around the perimeter and looked in. Last year there were probably 75-100 blooming, but I was there on Aug. 14th. Hopefully some more will pop up later.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think it may be a bad year for them. I hope I am wrong.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think I stumbled upon the mother lode of white fringed yesterday. Must have been well over 100 individual plants.

145018084.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think I stumbled upon the mother lode of white fringed yesterday. Must have been well over 100 individual plants.

It is always nice to see that they are doing well in various places.

Tom ... I moved somewhat from where I was looking and found the fringless yellow this morning. They also are not as prevalent as in previous years. Photo's later.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yet another great Saturday! I was soaked from the humidity, soaked by the two storms and up to my elbows in grass that made me itch. It was a blast! I need help with IDing this pair. I found these in two different spots in Greenwood, both hot and dry sandy locations. I know they are Spiranthes, but neither group had leaves of any sort, only a stem emerging from the sand. Spiranthes -------? As always, thanks for any help.

tresssm.jpg

tressclose2sm.jpg

I also found a few other rarities, Canby's Lobelia and Purple Bladderwort, which was just starting to emerge.

Reactions: John

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Seeing the green throat I would say Spiranthes lacera var.gracilis. The spot I have been watching didn't produce this year. Been checking for Lobelia canbyi but nothing so far. I saw some that were white along the Mullica two years ago.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks Oji!

I was having difficulty because I didn't see the prominent spiral in the blooms of the tresses. There were seven or eight Northern Slender Ladies' Tresses in one spot and they were almost impossible to see because the orchids were growing in grasses two to three feet tall. I was walking softly every couple of steps and then peering intently into the grass searching for them. It was like I was looking for a needle in a haystack.;)

My view...
Needleinthehaysm.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I like your photo much better Tom. In any event, I was able to find Platanthera integra today slightly away from the location of previous years.

IMG_0301a.jpg

We also saw a few other things in our travels. I tried to get this one from a front view but it did not cooperate.

IMG_0306a.jpg

Can you guess what plant this is a part of?

IMG_0304a.jpg

A spider hiding on this one.

IMG_0316a.jpg

I believe it is a xyris. Maybe Carolinia?

IMG_0315a.jpg

IMG_0314a.jpg

Sweet Pepper Bush I believe

IMG_0311a.jpg

IMG_0320a.jpg

IMG_0323a.jpg

Guy

Reactions: John