Name that pod

Renee or Barry,

While exploring at Atsion in the area near the furnace I found the pod shown in the picture.
pod.sized.jpg

Any idea what it is? It measures 9" long and is about 1/4" wide at the stem and 3/4" wide at the base. It is about 3/8" thick and by the bumps on it I would guess it holds about 6 or 7 seeds. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the trees in the area.

Steve

B

BarryC

I was going to say Mimosa, which is a non-native. Or even Wisteria, which is a vine and not a tree. I would have to see it in person, along with the tree it came off of. That's interesting.

B

BarryC

I was going to say Locust too, but he said three eighths of an inch thick and that sounds really thick to me. So I don't know now. I'm somewhat at a loss. But you guys are probably right. Now I'm really curious to see it and the trees near where it was found. When I look at it, I see the shape of a Wisteria seed pod, but not the color.
Actually this kind of thing is a lot of fun. We should test each other like this more often. 8)
bach2yoga said:
I'd go with locust.
Renee

Well let's see.............It's definately not a Memosa.
..............Not sure what is meant by "spiney" but the trees were kind of bumpy.
..............There where lots of vines around
..............The pod is darker brown than the picture shows.

B

bach2yoga

Steve, is the pod hairless? Is it flatter or rounder?
What color are the seeds inside it? Are they brown/black? How big are the seeds inside? Roughly a quarter inch or so each?

This is the black locust:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Those pods run 3-6", the honey locust are similar but get closer to 9". Both of them have persistant pods, kind of leathery. I go with Al on this one, honey locust.

The wisteria are a different color, and are also shorter like the black locust, maybe 4 or 6".

Renee

Renee,

I'll go with the Honey Locust. This pod is dried out but seems it may have been leathery and it is hairless. A cross section of it would look like an elipse.
It's kind of neat so I don't want to break it open to see the seeds.

Steve

B

bach2yoga

foofoo said:
this reminds me of something i had on my plate at chilis the other night :lol:

I love that place...the peppercorn burgers with blue cheese and onion blossoms...yum...

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I go for the "guiltless chicken platter" and skip the vegetables and get two ears of corn. Along with the salsa and chips it is a great place to eat.

While on the subject, have you had their salsa? I like salsa, watery without chunks and Chili's is quite good. I have tried to find salsa in the store like that and have not been able to. I use Pace Picante sauce presently because it is somewhat similar in that it has less chunks than most. Does anyone know of a salsa that is more similar to Chili's?

Guy

Ok. When was somebody going to tell me that Honey Locust pods explode! Just a few minutes ago the pod, which was sitting on my computer table, violently exploded. Shot the seeds clear across the room. One hit a picture and I thought the glass cracked but it didn't. Well I've had my fireworks. LOL I would not recomend bringing these things home unless you break it open first. Pretty neat way to disperse seeds though.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Ok. When was somebody going to tell me that Honey Locust pods explode! Just a few minutes ago the pod, which was sitting on my computer table, violently exploded. Shot the seeds clear across the room. One hit a picture and I thought the glass cracked but it didn't. Well I've had my fireworks. LOL I would not recomend bringing these things home unless you break it open first. Pretty neat way to disperse seeds though.

Steve

That is really interesting! I would have liked to have viewed that.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:

Steve

Oh, shucks, that's funny!
It was celebrating the new year!
It didn't even occur to me to mention it. Black and honey locusts both do that, I think, and a number of other plants as well. We have jewelweed growing along the stream in our yard, and that does it too, onlyif it is ripe, it will explode when you touch it. First time I did it I didn't know that, like to have scared the **** out of me!
It was celebrating the new year.
Renee

TeeGate said:
BEHR655 said:

Steve

That is really interesting! I would have liked to have viewed that.

Guy

It went off like one of those 1/2" firecrackers if you remember them. What I found very interesting was that before it exploded the pod had been very straight and hard, Immediately after it exploded the two halves were curled and so stiff and hard that I could not straighten them out for fear of breaking them.

Steve

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
It went off like one of those 1/2" firecrackers if you remember them. What I found very interesting was that before it exploded the pod had been very straight and hard, Immediately after it exploded the two halves were curled and so stiff and hard that I could not straighten them out for fear of breaking them.

Steve

My, would I love to comment on that...
Renee

bach2yoga said:
Oh, shucks, that's funny!
It was celebrating the new year!
It didn't even occur to me to mention it. Black and honey locusts both do that, I think, and a number of other plants as well. We have jewelweed growing along the stream in our yard, and that does it too, onlyif it is ripe, it will explode when you touch it. First time I did it I didn't know that, like to have scared the **** out of me!
It was celebrating the new year.
Renee

I think next year I'll collect a bunch of them. The hard part will be getting them to go off at the same time. LOL