Netflix

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Anyone using/used this service. Got an offer for a free trial and am wondering if anyone has a good or bad experience. Thanks.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Go with the free trial, many people love the service. You keep the movies as long as you want I think. I don't watch that many movies due to working nights so I occasionally just go to the Red Box machines which are springing up everywhere these days and pay $1 (credit card only) for a current flick. It has to be back the next day that's how they make their money (late fees). So if you want to keep the movie for awhile and return it whenever net flix is for you.

My only complaint about Red box is having folks breathing down your neck waiting in line behind you when you are trying to decide on a movie. Back off dude!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We've had Netflix for at least 6 years. It's awesome. Right now we have it set up so we can download movies to a queue and watch them instantly on TV. The newer ones aren't available for immediate download so we still get DVDs mailed to us. It's fantastic. I recommend it highly.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My daughter gave me a subscription a couple years ago for Christmas. Over the course of the year, I probably ordered 6 or 7 DVD's. Finally ended up with one gathering dust on the table for a few months. They sent me a reminder that my subscription was about ready for renewal so I returned that DVD, let the subscription expire, and haven't missed it. Personally, I don't even know what I will want to watch on TV three hours from now (if anything), let alone knowing what I will want in a couple days. Just doesn't fit my instant gratification personality.

And it seems kind of antiquated in today's world. I read an article about them recently - they just made a deal with one of the big studios giving them access to a lot of new content for their download/streaming service. The analysts are predicting they will dump the DVD mailings in the future and only use the internet for distribution. Still doesn't interest me personally, but a lot of people love them - including my daughter. :)

Nov 18, 2008
Erial, NJ
www.facebook.com
While on the subject, I had a subscription from Blockbuster which was a gift. I also had no time to watch movies, some I finally watched, and some were returned unwatched. Whe the time came to end the subscription, I had nothing but problems ended up getting charged for buying (not renting) a movie and a restocking fee.

Here is how the events unfolded.

The wife complained that we were getting a monthly charge for something we do not use, in which I agreed. I went online cleared my queue out and canceled my subscription using their instructions, not my account though. About a week later I go to the mailbox, low and behold there was another movie in there. Again the movie sits on the counter (which I should have just put it right in the outsending mail when I received it) a couple of days shy of a month goes by and I send the movie back. About a week goes by and the wife is complaing that Blockbuster charged our credit card for the purchase of a movie. I send them an e-mail and of course they already have a generic reply set up for this case. The next day I make a phone call. They were very arrogant and I explained to them that I canceled my subscription and cleared my queue two weeks well bafore they sent the last movie. They checked my record vs thiers and agreed to reimburse our credit card but would not lift the restocking fee, which was around $4. They never appologized or said it was thier mistake, nor did I expect them too. In the end we were reimbursed in full, and currently use the red box.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have a Mac Mini hooked up to the TV, and we use it to stream Netflix and Hulu content. (All wrapped up in a nice software called Plex.)

It's really nice to have a wide variety of content - especially children's shows for Dana - at our fingertips. We have all of what's on FiOS On Demand plus Netflix, plus Hulu. I can watch all the 21 Jump Street that I could ever want to see. (Literally none.)

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I used Netflix for a long time, it was great when I had it. But sometimes the movies wouldn't come right away, or they came out of order. I stopped using it a while ago and I, too, began using Redbox when I want to watch a flick. Now, THAT rules. $1 a day, keep it as long as you want. Every extra day only costs a dollar two. And I believe that they stop charging you the dollar after 15, 20 days (when you have paid the cost of the movie).

But Netflix has all the old movies, redbox has all the new ones....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Can you go into more detail how Plex works and how you have it hooked up? Jessica has been looking at that for connecting her laptop to the TV.

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
A friend of mine has Netflix and links it to a Roku box. Its pretty cool little device, you're of course limited to what they have available for streaming but theres still a good amount available. The Roku also pulls other stuff off the internet as well like a "Flickr" channel, Pandora music, etc. Its nice having it all in one package, being sent directly to the tv. To me having a setup like that gets you the most of out of Netflix subscription.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
A friend of mine has Netflix and links it to a Roku box. Its pretty cool little device, you're of course limited to what they have available for streaming but there�s still a good amount available. The Roku also pulls other stuff off the internet as well like a "Flickr" channel, Pandora music, etc. Its nice having it all in one package, being sent directly to the tv. To me having a setup like that gets you the most of out of Netflix subscription.
That's exactly what we have. It's pretty awesome.