New book on Lakehurst history (plus some of the surrounding area)

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
Hi folks. Excuse the plug, but this might be something you'd be interested in. Some years ago I penned a big, 20-part series on the history of Lakehurst for a local paper. It got such a great response I told myself I'd one day revise, expand, update, and turn it into a book.

And now I've finally done that. The result is Lakehurst: Barrens, Blimps & Barons (also on Lulu), about 120 pages chronicling everything from the Federal Forge & Furnace to the stalled efforts to bring passenger rails back to the area. Plenty on the early days of the bog iron industry, the railroads, the military base, light-than-air airships, and general life in town. Lots of photos, too, along with interviews, anecdotes, and (hopefully) insights. Here and there it touches on Whiting/Whitings, Manchester, Toms River, Lakewood, and the Pine Barrens in general.

It even has a spiffy cover:

51ukg8Ej7CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think people will enjoy it.

For anyone who reads it, don't be shy about dropping me notes, corrections, and criticism at ericsanjuan@gmail.com. Worked hard to ensure accuracy, but I don't claim to be an historian and will always welcome input from the folks who do the REAL work on this stuff. I expect to one day do a revised edition, since I continue to turn up new tibdits I'd like to one day include. (Though that won't be for a long while.)

Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lakehurst-Barrens-Blimps-Barons-True/dp/1467913901

Thanks for looking!

Eric:

I will be ordering your book today. Considering my own work on the Torrey family, Manchester/Lakehurst, the early history there, and the railroad, I will be interested to see what you have prepared. As somewhat indicated in my previous posting to you, I have also done extensive work on NAS Lakehurst, particularly as it relates to dirigibles and blimps. BTW, do you have Wainwright’s booklet bound with the plastic comb? It is an interesting and entertaining read, to be sure!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
I've had the pleasure of paging through Frank Wainwright's book, courtesy of the Lakehurst Historical Society, but do not personally own a copy. One of his pieces for the Advance Nickel News ended up being cited source for this book.

A lot of the business-related stuff on the Torrey family proved to be challenging. You start to get into the overall business landscape, state regulations, politics, stuff beyond the scope of what I hoped to accomplish. Thankfully some very talented and dedicated people helped blaze those trails. William Dewey's book was a big help in sketching out those early days, as was that 1908 pamphlet by Frederic Torrey, among others. I think I was able to distill all that information into a clear narrative.

I left volumes on the cutting room floor when it comes to the Navy base. There is so much technical history you could go into, but I didn't want to stray too far afield or into areas of expertise alien to me. The guys from the Navy Lakehurst Historical Society were huge in helping me wrap my head around a lot of that stuff so I could present it in an entertaining way for a wide audience.

That was really my goal, after all. I approached this as a storyteller rather than as an historian because, well, I'm no historian. My series of stories for the paper (where I was a reporter, taking up the stories purely out of personal curiosity) aimed for that kind of tone, and hopefully it translates here.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out! I look forward to your comments.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Eric, did you happen to include Dr. P. D. Knieskern? He lived in Lakehurst for awhile and was a prominent botanist around 1850 or so. He gave name to several plants he first discovered.

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
I recall speaking to some of the Historical Society members about him, but did not bring him up in the book.

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
Dropped off copies at the Lakehurst Historical Society today so they could sell them and keep the proceeds. It was the least I could do to thank them. Figure every little bit helps. Good folks down there. If I still lived nearby I'd like to be involved. They could probably use some young blood.

And thanks to you folks for the welcome and the interest. It's greatly appreciated.

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
Very excited to be returning to my old school next month to do an assembly on Lakehurst history. Two assemblies, actually, so for the younger grades I think I'll focus on ghost stories and offbeat stuff. Should be a nice time.

In May, I should be on hand for the Lakehurst Historical Society's "Hindenburg Day." Drop by and say hello.

And thanks for the support and comments I've received. It's more appreciated than you realize.