New Egypt 1820

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Is anyone aware of a map showing family names living in the New Egypt area in 1820? We are searching for the burial site of Henry Reed who died in New Egypt in 1821. We think he might have been living with his son George Reed at the time of his death. There might have been a family plot where they were living . No cemeteries have him or his wife Mercy Pettit Reed listed among their residents.
Thank you Marcia Stoetzel

Marcia:

You will not find a published cadastral map that early for New Egypt. However, Reed’s obituary suggests he resided in his own home at the time of his death:

At his residence near New Egypt, on May 4, 1821, in the 70th year of his age, Henry Reed. He served his country as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, nearly 5 years. At the conclusion thereof, he came and settled among us, was universally esteened, as being an honest and industrious man.

I can suggest several paths you can take to gain more information:

1. Pursue the Rev War pension records at the National Archives in Philadelphia
2. Visit the New Jersey State Archives and review the material they hold regarding Rev War soldiers from New Jersey
3. While at the State Archives, use the microfilm collection for Monmouth County and Burlington County to obtain references to deeds related to Henry Reed and copy the appropriate deeds
4. Expand your cemetery search to other cemeteries in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Since he settled near New Egypt after the war, ascertain where he came from and check for his burial there.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks, Ben!

Marcia:

I took a couple minutes to conduct some additional research. Henry Reed died while living in Upper Freehold Township, Monmouth County. So, it is the Monmouth County records at the New Jersey State Archives you should consult. Don't overlook the various probate files available on microfilm at the archives. Information suggests that his wife remained resident in the house until her death in 1845 and continued to collect Henry’s pension.

Henry Reed reached the rank of Corporal in the army, but he evidently served in the navy. His pension file number is S33543. There are 7 pages of documents in the file, which are accessible at the National Archives in Philadelphia.

Here is a link to information on Henry’s estate inventory:

http://searches2.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NJ/2006-12/1165107703

Finally, give some thought to visiting both the Monmouth County Historical Association in Freehold and the Monmouth County Archives in Manalapan.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Thank you Jerseyman

DEAR Jerseyman
Thank you for the first post and expecially for the additional information. I knew of his service but not the navy or the time of death of his wife Mercy.

This is much appreciated information
SINCERELY
Marcia

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Mercy Reed Information

Hi Again Jerseyman
The information on Mercy Reed (death date of 1845) and living in the family house until than has caused quite a stir in the Reed Family Researchers. None of us had a death date for her. Could I ask you where the date came from. And secondly do I have your permission to pass this information on to my fellow researchers?
Marcia