New Forum Software

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I made the forums and front page a bit wider. I need to fix the front page now because it looks a little crappy with that extra space to the right of the stories.

Yes, I noticed that. It's on my list of things to adjust. If you hover over the link it will show that it's a link but I agree that it needs to be more clear.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a 20 inch monitor and the forums look fine now. I judge it by posting an 800 x 600 photo and if it shows well then it is fine.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I just increased the width of the forums and front page to 1050 pixels wide. Now you'll need a monitor that does at least 1280x1024 (which are high end 17" and 21" and up) otherwise you'll see scroll bars. I'll run it this way for a while and see if folks complain.

Edit: I bet state workers who have crappy old computers aren't going to be happy though.

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I tried it on Jessica's iPad and Jen tried it on her iPod Touch, and it looks fine. They should not have a problem.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
While trying that I noticed that if you leave out the www you get this photo at njpinebarrens.com

http://njpinebarrens.com/

That is near the FRM. That was a hill behind you many years ago. The sand company removed it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben, on the forum front page....the word "latest" seems redundant. I never know where to click. Maybe drop the word latest and highlight the title?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben, on the forum front page....the word "latest" seems redundant. I never know where to click. Maybe drop the word latest and highlight the title?

That requires me making deep edits to the software which will break every time I upgrade. (FWIW, I would have had the same problem with the old forum software.)

I also think that, without the word latest, it's not clear quite what the text in that box means.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
My gallery name is bobarley88.........? I attempted to download a photo as a test and none will download due to size.....I shrunk them to below 2KB and no luck either. When I try to login to the gallery with user name and password, "no go". It says I have an invalid name and password. Maybe you could share bobarley88's password with me? :D
I will read over this thread again to see if I missed something skimming through.

Happy Easter Ben! I like the format.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Can you try the gallery again and see?

Edit: This gallery software is a mess. I really, really, really want to get out of the picture hosting business.

Edit 2: Oh, looks like I really messed up the gallery login. It's getting confused between the old vBulletin database and the Xenforo database. Whee. I'm working on it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ok, try to see if you can log in now. The gallery is really messed up but hopefully the user ID's match now.

I'm locked out and can't get into the administrator panel, so I have to talk to their support folks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I suspect it may be tomorrow before she logs in. She had a busy day.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Can you try the gallery again and see?

Edit: This gallery software is a mess. I really, really, really want to get out of the picture hosting business.

Edit 2: Oh, looks like I really messed up the gallery login. It's getting confused between the old vBulletin database and the Xenforo database. Whee. I'm working on it.

If it were a business maybe that would be ok :). There are a bunch of options for image hosting, obviously, but the problem is the inertia in the current collection. I'd be inclined to have a completely separate site (which I guess you have now), and point it at cloud storage, but you could also just say screw it and tell people to move their pics to flickr or wherever.

Nascar: that's a nice avatar, so I can understand why you're a bit protective of it :). It looks fine to me. A landscape-mode rectangle displayed in a square is going to have some whitespace top and bottom, which is what I see when I look at your posts. The only other option would be a scaled-up square crop from the center of the image, which given the image content can't be what you're after. Perhaps the other forums you visit don't constrain an avatar image to be square.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The gallery software is separate, but it ties into the forums for authentication (so you don't need to make two accounts and you can log into both places with one password.)

The problem is that the software that the gallery runs on is, uh, not really so good (and yes, it costs money too) but with the intertia I'm sort of stuck with it. I'm looking at other options but for now I'd like to get it up and running.

At some point in time it will become read only and I will point people at something new (hosted here) or throw up my hands and say use flickr.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
With all the tweaks, everything is looking good on my laptop. The main page and forum page widths are perfect now. You've already gratiously fixed my avatar, so that's fine now too. I really don't have anything in the gallery, so I'm not going to be able and comment there, but I'm sure you'll get that worked out. Thanks again for your help and willingness to tweek the board. BTW, placing the "mark all forums read", "search forums", "watched threads" and "what's new" on a seperate line makes the sight so much easier to navigate compared to when the were buried under the "forum" label.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, placing the "mark all forums read", "search forums", "watched threads" and "what's new" on a seperate line makes the sight so much easier to navigate compared to when the were buried under the "forum" label.

I agree.

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I thought I would clean out some of my gallery photos and adds some new ones with a recent trip report. Although I am ID'd correctly now, I cannot log into member gallery to change anything. ? ? ?
No complaints, I just thought I'd let you know. Thank you for your updates, I will continue to check the status.