new JD site launched....

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hello All,

I haven't posted in quite some time after a minor meltdown on my part.( hey bobpbx, how's it going ?) I have to agree with badfish here. This is more sterotypical crap that can only give the guys trying to do the right thing here a bad rap. Funny he should mention car loads of kids throwing trash around after most of us spent our day Sunday cleaning up that very thing !! Just my .02, talk to you all soon.

Hi Broke Jeep! Did you see me Sunday?

JxD

Oct 23, 2006
First off I do have another account here, I couldn't remember the password and the retreival system was to no avail. Some of the images may possibly be from the galleries here, and as I've listed on the site I will be giving due credit very soon; the site isn't totally complete. The whois information for e-mail is a group e-mail address for 4 people and the only one I had to plug in at the time; but I've since updated that to an e-mail address on my own domain which is more appropriate i think. The post heading contained an FYI flag, being 'for your information'. You dont have to visit if you dont like, I thought you all would appreciate the heads up on a new site being launched. I have spent a great deal of time in those forests taking photos and video of historic areas of interest as to show people the culture that once was. Those things will be on the site within weeks. Lastly, I dont want any of the forests damaged either, I think the pine barrens are fantastic!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
First off I do have another account here, I couldn't remember the password and the retreival system was to no avail.

What went wrong? It would not work or would not send it to you?

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Some of the images may possibly be from the galleries here, and as I've listed on the site I will be giving due credit very soon;

Never, ever, ever do that again. First off, don't take peope's photos without asking. Second, don't take things and not immediately give credit.

Third, if you have problems with the functionality of the site (password retreval) let me know. PM me with your other account name.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
First off I do have another account here, I couldn't remember the password and the retreival system was to no avail. Some of the images may possibly be from the galleries here, and as I've listed on the site I will be giving due credit very soon; the site isn't totally complete. The whois information for e-mail is a group e-mail address for 4 people and the only one I had to plug in at the time; but I've since updated that to an e-mail address on my own domain which is more appropriate i think. The post heading contained an FYI flag, being 'for your information'. You dont have to visit if you dont like, I thought you all would appreciate the heads up on a new site being launched. I have spent a great deal of time in those forests taking photos and video of historic areas of interest as to show people the culture that once was. Those things will be on the site within weeks. Lastly, I dont want any of the forests damaged either, I think the pine barrens are fantastic!

:bs:

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I just noticed he linked to my Blue Hole page and wrote next to it (unimpressed account), while others have "decent" or "creepy" accounts.
Am I the only one who finds the Blue Hole rather boring? Does "unimpressed" equate to what's really there? Am I boring because I write about what I witnessed (a scummy pond) and not some nonsense?
Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of stories surrounding the place, some entertaining. But....it's a scummy pond.

Snore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Am I the only one who finds the Blue Hole rather boring?

I have never been there, and don't intend on going, so you are not the only one who has no interest in it. I am glad to see I am not the only one.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Not much to see, but is an area of the woods that gets little attention. The folklore is much more interesting than the reality.

Jeff

That area is near home for me and I'm out there often. I'm sort of glad the woods get little attention. Except for shotgun season, I usually have it to myself. I have hunted during permit bow and not seen any other hunters. I've spent many hours canoeing the stream through the area and have never seen another boat, while I'm on the water, although I know people occasionally canoe and kayak it. If you like the woods, it is really a very nice area to go.

Greg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There are some of us who think places like the blue hole are more than scummy ponds. Their legacy is not just the cultural aspects and the resultant folklore. The blue hole is a relict from the pleistocene era, when the last wave of glaciers was prominent (11,550 to 1,800,000 years ago). They are (or were in most cases) strong springs during periods of intense cold. The constant water issuing from them created many braided channels downstream by their high energy discharge. The "scum" you see is a type of algae. I see many smaller "blue holes" in my ramblings, including the large one in Mount Misery and smaller ones along Cedar Creek. My interest in the pines is a bit less the human history, and a lot more the landscape and natural features. Very neat geographical features.

I guess I can understand why to the rest of you its just a "scummy pond". You were probably influenced by the stories and folklore (and the wow factor), and when you finally arrived expecting to be entertained (like at a movie theater or Disneyland) but were not, you felt cheated.

Most of my information comes from a Master's Thesis by Mark Demitroff; "Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey's Periglacial Legacy"

Abbycab

Aug 5, 2007
Atco
I'd have to agree. I took a trip to the blue hole two summers ago. It wasnt blue, and it wasnt any colder than the water around it. From all the stories i read and the descriptions, it looked nothing like what was expected.