New Jersey: 3rd most popular state to leave

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120277561232960623.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

Editorial in today's Wall Street Journal cites data from United Van Lines on migration patterns in the US. NJ is #3 on the list of departure states. But New York and Pennsylvania don't have any reason to gloat either... they are #4 and #6 on the list. Also see the following: http://www.unitedvanlines.com/mover...es/2007/2006-united-migration-study-04-07.htm

Personally, I think this isn't such a bad thing.... less people, less demand for new housing developments. :)

Oct 25, 2006
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120277561232960623.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

Editorial in today's Wall Street Journal cites data from United Van Lines on migration patterns in the US. NJ is #3 on the list of departure states. But New York and Pennsylvania don't have any reason to gloat either... they are #4 and #6 on the list. Also see the following: http://www.unitedvanlines.com/mover...es/2007/2006-united-migration-study-04-07.htm

Personally, I think this isn't such a bad thing.... less people, less demand for new housing developments. :)

Very interesting read, thanks for posting it Boyd.

Jim

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I thought the author had a really interesting way to determine which direction people are migrating:

We invite readers to visit the U-Haul Moving Company Web site (www.uhaul.com), where you can type in a pair of U.S. cities to learn what it costs to move from point A to B. A move from Dallas to Philadelphia costs $663, versus $2,433 to swap homes in the other direction.

So in other words, UHaul needs to keep a large quantity of trucks in Philadelphia for all the people who are moving out, and they price the rentals accordingly so you're rewarded by ending your one-way rental there.

Oct 25, 2006
I thought the author had a really interesting way to determine which direction people are migrating:

So in other words, UHaul needs to keep a large quantity of trucks in Philadelphia for all the people who are moving out, and they price the rentals accordingly so you're rewarded by ending your one-way rental there.

I would say two of the reasons for the movement out of NJ and PA. are the taxes and the cost of heating one's abode, there are probably other reasons also.

Jim

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I would say two of the reasons for the movement out of NJ and PA. are the taxes and the cost of heating one's abode, there are probably other reasons also.

Jim

It's for many reasons, I'm sure.

- one of the highest property taxes.
- one of the highest school taxes.
- one of the highest car insurance rates.
- miss-management of tax payers monies, despite the (3) items above.
- difficult for law abiding citizens to purchase firearms to protect themselves.
- new developments and houses being built quicker than they can be occupied, cutting into the wooded areas of the state.
- 1st and only state, so far, to appologize for slavery.

I'm sure there's more.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We apologized for slavery? I'm outa here.

I think the shrinking is caused by many things, and overall is part of a general shift south and west by increasingly old boomers like myself. I'm staying up here where the water is, personally.

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
The people who tend to be the most mobile in American society are the educated and motivated -- in other words, the taxpaying class. Tax them too much, and you'll soon find they aren't there to tax at all.
The last lines are the best....thanks for the reads.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I feel exactly the same way Bob. But, as you know, several forum members have recently moved out of state and still check in from time to time.

If you don't like a place then by all means "vote with your feet" and find someplace which you do like. At least for the time being I'm quite happy here in my own little corner of the state where taxes are still low and open space is plentiful.

If you look at the actual percentage numbers on the moving company's website, NJ is pretty much neck-in-neck with neighboring Northeastern states.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Well, Maryland is very close to being a sothern state, but it was kept in the union despite is's succcessionist tendencies...you could almost then consider NJ to be the second northern state to say 'Im sorry......'

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Well, Maryland is very close to being a sothern state, but it was kept in the union despite is's succcessionist tendencies...you could almost then consider NJ to be the second northern state to say 'Im sorry......'

I didn't know until I ran away to Elkton last year that Maryland was considered the North. We were walking around Antietam Cemetery and saw Maryland soldiers buried alongside PA, NY, NJ, etc. A few signs mentioned they were part of the Union.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Well regardless of whether we were 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th to appologize it certainly shows how not only NJ but the nation as a whoe is going into the crapper. I still believe we live in the best country in the world, however one can see how it's going the wrong direction and has been doing so for the last several decades.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
this is nascar said:
Well regardless of whether we were 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th to appologize it certainly shows how not only NJ but the nation as a whoe is going into the crapper.

Just what are you saying? Why is it such a bad thing to apologize for slavery? Do you think slavery ought to be reinstated?

Just what are you saying? Why is it such a bad thing to apologize for slavery? Do you think slavery ought to be reinstated?

Gabe:

I will not express an opinion pro or con on whether New Jersey should offer an apology for slavery. Certainly residents in New Jersey engaged in the detestable practice of slave trading and slaveholding—more so in East New Jersey than West New Jersey. The presence of Dutchmen and the lack of a dominating influence by the Society of Friends accounts for two reasons, among many others, why East Jerseyans held many more in slavery than their West Jersey counterparts. There are surely some descendants of these slaves—both in East and West New Jersey—still residing within New Jersey today, although the vast majority of African Americans presently living in the state had parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents who migrated northward from the South during the early and mid-twentieth century.

However, there are two things that trouble me about the law that the legislature passed and the governor signed:

1. The bill’s originator was a Black lawmaker; this strikes me as somewhat odd and awkward. It is akin to someone going out and buying themselves a birthday gift and then handing it to you, asking you to present it to them. To feel more genuine about the apology as a state resident, I think a White legislator should have drafted and sponsored the bill.

2. Even more troubling is that the bill came out of the Appropriations Committee. Despite language from the bill's sponsor to the contrary, I can’t help but think that reparations are not far behind since the Appropriations Committee—the committee charged with allocating state funds—released the bill for approval. This state can ill-afford to pay anyone anything, but I think we will see such payments coming within two or three years based on the apology bill being passed and signed.

I hope I am wrong, but the trust train for Trenton politicians derailed a long time ago and I don't see anyone placing that train back on the tracks anytime in the near future.

Best regards,
Jerseyman