New law: no smoking in public parks, forests?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah I like out of the way places like that non burger king infested part of new jersey that even I, with my yen to explore places like that, never even noticed - which is probably just the way the denizens like it - a place that people don't notice. I sure would if I lived there.

If you want to know how the "denizens' really feel .... :jd:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/mad-about-bivalve.12027/

"That dilapidated marina you speak of happens to belongs to a friend of mine, and that is his livelyhood. And you had to stop and take a pic of the piece of crap old church, you probably used my driveway to do it, all day long i have gape eyed picture takers in my yard blocking my driveway just wandering around with theiir cameras everyday."

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ben was right.The smell is right down deadly. Clam and oyster shell piles. Once the stink is gone,sometimes even when it isn't folks around here fill their muddy driveways and dirt roads with them.I did it to mine once.Stunk for a couple weeks then was good.

The one thing to do in Diving CReek in summer besides swimming in the Blue Holes is crabbing.Used to be just locals out to Turkey Point and Owls nest but then the advent of the internet publicized such places and now on a summer weekend good luck getting a spot between Shoobies and migrant farm workers. We don't have the best crabbing spots to ourselves anymore.But then again I have found many neat spots in Shooby land through the internet so it's give and take.

Never had a problem with the Spanish speakers when I lived down the road from them in Cedarville. They were not the people who left trash in the crabbing spots. Shoobies a different story: gave up driving to shore via rt 47 on any summer weekend after experiencing gridlock. (I used to fantasize having a machine gun mounted on the front of my ancient Volvo wagon) Bayshore the only place to go during shoobie season. Think of gnats/mosquitoes/greenheads as desirable tourist control. "tourist" Someone who asks "What's a greenhead?"

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
If you want to know how the "denizens' really feel .... :jd:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/mad-about-bivalve.12027/

"That dilapidated marina you speak of happens to belongs to a friend of mine, and that is his livelyhood. And you had to stop and take a pic of the piece of crap old church, you probably used my driveway to do it, all day long i have gape eyed picture takers in my yard blocking my driveway just wandering around with theiir cameras everyday."

That's what I said, boss!

"my ancient Volvo wagon..."

My first car was a used red Volvo 544, 1961 I think. Later on I had a 1958 Saab. Later on I had a Mercedes Benz that I bought from Romany gypsies in Brooklyn for $200. Mostly though I had VW Beetles back then. They were the best thing for Pine Barren sand roads because they were light and narrow and had good ground clearance and rear wheel traction.

That's what I said, boss!

"my ancient Volvo wagon..."

My first car was a used red Volvo 544, 1961 I think. Later on I had a 1958 Saab. Later on I had a Mercedes Benz that I bought from Romany gypsies in Brooklyn for $200. Mostly though I had VW Beetles back then. They were the best thing for Pine Barren sand roads because they were light and narrow and had good ground clearance and rear wheel traction.

a 544? damn, you're even older than me. I have very fond memories of the '88 Saab I bought new, and later blew out the 3rd cylinder at an amateur event at Lime Rock. You know you're in the s*** when the tech guy at Saab corporate headquarters says "was it #3 cylinder? They all do that"

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
a 544? damn, you're even older than me. I have very fond memories of the '88 Saab I bought new, and later blew out the 3rd cylinder at an amateur event at Lime Rock. You know you're in the s*** when the tech guy at Saab corporate headquarters says "was it #3 cylinder? They all do that"

Ha ha no doubt! But the Volvo 544 was newer than the 444. My '58 Saab only had 3 cylinders to begin with. 2 stroke engine. I had to mix oil with the gas. It was a neat car. Very unusual and innovative. I paid 195 for it and sold it for 250. I have fond memories of it too. The Volvo not so much. Minor things kept breaking. I also had motorcycles in the 60s.

Also there in SCCA event, in the 1980's. When was the jump removed? I don't remember it, but then I wasn't going that fast in my 4 cylinder Saab.
Thought I was hot stuff when I beat the guy behind me to the apex and he spun out behind me. Then a few days later I watched the pros race at Lime Rock with average speed 90+ mph and rememberd what "amateur" meant. Jersey Girl is aging motorhead!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When was the jump removed?

It is still there; they just added a chicane that is used by the faster class cars. It was due primarily to the IMSA cars starting to fly and a couple of bad crashes by some Porsche's. The old portion is still used for the slower classes. At the top of the diagram. It is the oldest track in continuous use in the country and had a major upgrade to the facilities several years ago. Have you ever gone to Bridgehampton?

trackmap_1.jpg