New to forum, looking for info or photos

Abbycab

Aug 5, 2007
Atco
Hi guys! Im new to posting on this forum but have been reading it for a year or so now. Always great info on here. Im hoping someone may be able to help me out a little. My boyfriend is being given the family house in Atco, right on Atco Ave. Judging by the looks and from what we've been told the house was built in late 1800's, possibly by Thomas Richards (again this is just what we've been told so we're not sure) We have also been told that it was featured on a post card. I guess I'm hoping maybe someone has some info on the town or just maybe has a few old photos that may have the house in them. We would like to restore it to how it originally looked and only have a few clues so far. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!!! Hope I'l posting in the right spot :confused:

Hi guys! Im new to posting on this forum but have been reading it for a year or so now. Always great info on here. Im hoping someone may be able to help me out a little. My boyfriend is being given the family house in Atco, right on Atco Ave. Judging by the looks and from what we've been told the house was built in late 1800's, possibly by Thomas Richards (again this is just what we've been told so we're not sure) We have also been told that it was featured on a post card. I guess I'm hoping maybe someone has some info on the town or just maybe has a few old photos that may have the house in them. We would like to restore it to how it originally looked and only have a few clues so far. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!!! Hope I'l posting in the right spot :confused:

Abbycat:

Are you referring to the large mansion with the colonnaded facade? If so, your boyfriend has just receive a wonderful gift that should be cared for with respect and great affection. Let me know if I have identified the correct house and I and others on these forums will provide you with some history and sources where you can learn more about the dwelling.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Abbycab

Aug 5, 2007
Atco
wish I could say that is the house but unfortunately it is not. Judging by the shape and small details I've found at the home it would have been built for a working class family around that time period like most older homes on the ave. It is acutually kind of diagonal from the house you speak of. Thats about all I can explain of it right now, but again any info would be great. I did go to the Atco Library thinking they would have some archives but was quite upset with the little bit that they had. For a town so old no one there could tell or show me much and I do not know of any historical society here. I'm thinking of going to the Camden County Museum and Library near Collingswood, hopefully they will have something.

wish I could say that is the house but unfortunately it is not. Judging by the shape and small details I've found at the home it would have been built for a working class family around that time period like most older homes on the ave. It is acutually kind of diagonal from the house you speak of. Thats about all I can explain of it right now, but again any info would be great. I did go to the Atco Library thinking they would have some archives but was quite upset with the little bit that they had. For a town so old no one there could tell or show me much and I do not know of any historical society here. I'm thinking of going to the Camden County Museum and Library near Collingswood, hopefully they will have something.

Abbycab:

No problem; I'm sure the house you are discussing is still a valuable artifact of Jackson/Atco history. I believe I parked in front of the house you are referring to earlier this year when I participated in a tour of former glasshouses.

It sounds like you need to examine some good historic cadastral maps (maps that show landowner's names and/or property lines) and perhaps even undertake a title search of the property. For mapping, I would suggest you visit the Camden County Historical Society at 1900 Park Boulevard in Camden (I think they are closed until sometime in September) and request the 1877 Walker Camden County map. Not only does this map provide cadastral coverage of all of Camden County, it also includes vignette maps of various communities including Atco.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Oct 25, 2006
Abbycab:

No problem; I'm sure the house you are discussing is still a valuable artifact of Jackson/Atco history. I believe I parked in front of the house you are referring to earlier this year when I participated in a tour of former glasshouses.

It sounds like you need to examine some good historic cadastral maps (maps that show landowner's names and/or property lines) and perhaps even undertake a title search of the property. For mapping, I would suggest you visit the Camden County Historical Society at 1900 Park Boulevard in Camden (I think they are closed until sometime in September) and request the 1877 Walker Camden County map. Not only does this map provide cadastral coverage of all of Camden County, it also includes vignette maps of various communities including Atco.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Cadastral maps , very interesting indeed. Thanks Jerseyman

Jim

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Abby,
Which house?, PM me if you feel it best. Being of the hinterlands of Waterford I am pretty familiar with Atco. I have an Idea of were you mean.
The "Waterford", not Atco library ( forgive that arrogance ) is quaint but the faculty you will find are somewhat short on the local history save the old woman who can keep you for hours speaking on the immediate area. She is rich in info from a first hand perspective of a hard working family and tuned me in to some really cool Atco stuff I never knew. Nothing beats first hand accounts. Although she will get you for a late fee, no exceptions!
There is an avenue of local "historical society nature" but the exuberance just isn't there. In this town the best accounts are truly of those passing before our eyes as time goes by. Well, that and... Jerseyman.

G.

Abbycab

Aug 5, 2007
Atco
Thank you so much! With the info you have given me so far I should be able to get started and hopefully find something. I think the historical society you speak of Jerseyman is the place I was talking about so I will definitely be taking a trip there as soon as possible.thanks again!!!