Newbie looking for info...

Joey1175

Apr 21, 2013
New to the forum and new to the Pines....looking for a good trail....I have a stock Wrangler.... Any ideas? Thanks

Joey1175

Apr 21, 2013
Thanks for the response Ben.... Its a 05 TJ ...I don't think I'm nuts but I want to take my son lol ....he's almost 5, off roading. I will put the car seat in the center and just have lil fun. Well I was thinking sandy would be better... Not too muddy cause I deff don't want to get stuck and don't want to have to clean the chassis. I'd want to have at least the side windows off too.... Maybe April will warm up a bit. I was hoping there was a place to stop to eat some lunch maybe watch some other guys play with their trucks. Any suggestions on what to bring? I don't have a winch... So maybe a tow strap... Come-along? What do you think?

Daniel J Montgomery

Jun 25, 2011
Brick
www.capturejerseyshore.com
Thanks for the response Ben.... Its a 05 TJ ...I don't think I'm nuts but I want to take my son lol ....he's almost 5, off roading. I will put the car seat in the center and just have lil fun. Well I was thinking sandy would be better... Not too muddy cause I deff don't want to get stuck and don't want to have to clean the chassis. I'd want to have at least the side windows off too.... Maybe April will warm up a bit. I was hoping there was a place to stop to eat some lunch maybe watch some other guys play with their trucks. Any suggestions on what to bring? I don't have a winch... So maybe a tow strap... Come-along? What do you think?
This is quite a time later but I think the sand road that runs from Batsto to Atsion (stage coach or quakerbridge rd i think it's called ) is a nice one with lots to see in the PB and plenty of trails that come off this one ...very easy no chance of getting stuck in a 4wd but bring a good tow strap or come along plus a shovel whenever u go through the trails (safe is better than sorry) but whatever you do PLEASE dont tear up the trails by mudding in puddles. I drive a Subaru Forester and the geniuses who tear 3 foot deep trenches in the trails ruin them for us in shorter vehicles :) Another decent trail that's really easy is the one that run from Dover rd in Bamber Lake down to rt 72. Scenic and easy last time I went plus short so if time is limited .

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

Daniel J Montgomery

Jun 25, 2011
Brick
www.capturejerseyshore.com
Anyone familiar with Oswego lake to Bear swamp (I believe it's called Sooy rd, Sooy place is diff on Google maps)? Ive been wanting to go but I only drive a 4cyl awd Forester...I wondered if, when it's been dry for a while, the roads are relatively passable w/ my car. I keep a comealong and tow straps/hooks, shovel etc in my car but I dont want to wind up in a 3'deep mudhole through there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I go there all the time in my car. Sooy Road can at times have a few puddles, but the road from Oswego Lake to Bear Swamp should be good as long as it is not flooded in the Oswego Lake vicinity. The rest is on higher ground.

Reactions: Daniel J Montgomery

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There are usually about three big puddles on that road. One is near the lake, as you said. Then a couple of others are a little further up. I would chicken out when I saw them while I still drove a regular car. When I first got my 4wd Tiguan, I was bold enough to go through them. They weren't a problem, but were actually deeper and softer than I expected (and I always drive as far to the side of the road as possible, keeping two tires on the firmer ground).

Haven't been there for a few months, but I think you will be OK in a 4wd vehicle if you use a bit of common sense. Usually it's a pretty good road if you approach from the North also, and take Chatsworth Rd from where it splits off 563 just South of Chatsworth.

Reactions: Daniel J Montgomery