Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
Ben,

You are spending quite a bit of time on these, and you should think about yourself first. Don't get burnt out over all of us. We will still be here whenever you have something to download.

Guy

I zipped & resized the maps. They should all be available now. It actually didn't take much time since I just hacked the database and changed .JPG to .ZIP.

The file sizes should be right, or close to being right.

J

JeffD

Good job, Ben! I just downloaded a few file-maps from the NJ Topographical map into zip files, which are now on my desktop. I like the idea of starting with a small scale and then zooming in to get more detail. I checked out some of the downloaded fires more than others. I looked for the Friendship bog, which we visited, on the Chatsworth map. I think I may be able to find this area. I used the Atsion map as a guide for a planned hike I saw on a PDF file I had downloaded some time ago from somewhere. Funny thing happened. When I tried to download the Pinebarren Hikes file months ago, I couldn't find it and just wrote it off as an unsuccessful download. After I downloaded Adobe 5.1 from the Pine Barrens Commission site a few weeks ago, this file magically appeared on my desktop! Anyway, I "toggled" back and forth between the Atsion map, which I had magnified enough to see the sand roads, etc. that were referenced in the directions for the hike.

I may take this hike in the near future. It's in an area I'm familiar with. The hike takes you from the railroad tracks that cross Quaker Bridge Road, to the first sand road you come to as you're walking towards Chatsworth on the RR tracks. There's a short sidetrip down to Springer's Brook for lunch and then you follow a sand road to Lower Forge. On the Atsion USGS map, it looks like the sand road stops at the Basto River. Maybe this is where that Un-Bridge which you described on the PBE board while back, Guy, was located. The Lower Forge Wilderness Campground is on the other side of the Basto, so I guess Lower Forge is on both sides of the river. I've always thought of Lower Forge as the campsite, just on one side of the Basto.

I'm amazed that I could download these files. I remember when I had to use a dedicated computer-word processing system at work, and had trouble. On different occasions I had to get someone in the know to "rescue" me. Some years after that experience, when I was applying for jobs someone asked me what computer systems/software I was familiar with. I said "the kind you put a disk in." When asked if I had used menus, I responded "only at restaurants."

J

JeffD

For the record, that Pine Barrens Hikes PDF file that I tried to download several months ago magically appeared when I opened "my documents" after I downloaded Adobe 5.1 Acrobat Reader.

I also checked out the SANDY RIDGE to PINE CREST Pine Barrens Hike on the Pine Barrens Hikes file, which, like the others, referred me to a USGS map, in this case, Chatsworth. Looking at the Chatsworth map I downloaded from this site, I was again able to use it with the Pine Barrens Hike file. This hike starts on Carranza Road, about 2.3 miles from the RR tracks (or 2.5 miles from the monument), going toward Friendship and you take a sand road on the left side of the road (when you face towards Friendship), along the Shane Branch, to an open body of water, to Pine Crest, along the RR tracks and to Sandy Ridge. I think the hike starts in the vicinity of the bog we walked around on our outing before last.

It only took a few minutes to download each file. I guess I have a fast connection (56K).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Nice job on the main logo with the Jersey Devil and your site name. I've been meaning to mention that but neglected to. :)

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks. That's my "print" logo that I made when I first brought the site online.

I was kicking around the idea of having some t-shirts made and that logo would look pretty good on them, I think.

I need to get a large format printer and print out some of these panoramic maps. They'd look REALLY nice framed in my house.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If those panoramic maps were in tiff format originally, use the tiff for having them printed.

I would buy a t-shirt.

Guy

B

BarryC

bruset said:
the panoramic maps were in .SID format, at 4x the resolution that they are in now. i shrunk them down and converted them to jpg for the site.
Just out of curiosity, where did you find them, in the Mr. Sid format?
Also see my email from a few minutes ago. You can get those maps on Ebay easily. For example, right now there are 5 1865 Egg Harbor maps and maybe 6 or 7 1924 Egg Harbor maps on Ebay, ranging in price from $15 to $25.
There is also a company that just sells them: http://www.historicpanoramicmaps.com/
Thanks for all your hard work here,
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where do you find maps

Rdvh said:
I am looking for Maps of the old forgotten towns in the pine barrens where can i find them?

Ben has supplied a link at the top of this page to many of the maps you are looking for. It is the Map Archive link. Many of these maps mention the towns that you are looking for. You must remember that they probably will only get you in the general area, and you will have to find the exact location of the town. You have an option to ask here on the boards, or search them out for yourself. I would suggest the maps at this link.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...mp;file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=3

You will need to install the DjVu Plug-in to view them. which can also be downloaded on that page.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
actually none of the maps require the djvu plugin now. they're all jpegs that can be opened by any computer.

to get at the maps, click on the link that is labeled (appropriately enough) "map archive" in that black box below the site logo.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
no problem. there's about 300 or so maps now. you might want to look at the george cook topo map series. that has a lot of the ghost towns on it.

the thomas gordon map is also good, as it accompanied the gazeteer he put out in 1834.

if you're looking for something in particular let me know. i might have some info somewhere.