news for motor vehicle woods travelers

P.B.&J

Sep 27, 2008
manahawkin
please be advised new jersey law's have changed as far as motor vehicle travel's if you are not on a "paper road " you can and will be cited for a destruction of natural resource's ordinance.....for those of us who have grown up in the pines this is a bitch so to speak....if you are found by an official warden so to speak in the woods in a vehicle registered or not and are on a trail not known on a map as a "paper road " you can get screwed legaly...and trust me as been there the judge has no concern as to where you where brought up and why you know the path's you do.....this is becoming yet another way for the state with so many concerns to deal a stagnant hand to some good people....we know road's that are not actual road's.......our bad maybe we should go tag some bridge's with aresol can's or perhaps sell some crack on paved roads ??? and get pretty much away with anything.......but god forbid teach a few folk's about the woods.....and what they infact still stand for...or maybe snap a few wildlife shot's.....man we are an evil crowd...for trespassing on god's creations and looking to maybe learn even one thing from nature....welcome to new jersey !!!:colbert:
as they say " new jersey and you ....screwed together "...

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Actually, there's a good ecological reason to prohibit motor vehicles in some areas. soil compaction leads to all sorts of problems with the native flora and fauna. And like Ben said, I think this has always been the case. At least I hope it has.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
When the ORV ban happened in 2003 I called up the Batsto Rangers. They told me that I was safe with my Jeep on any road that shows up on a topo map. If it does not show on a topo map - no matter how wide or well used the trail is - I'd be fined if I was caught.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
When the ORV ban happened in 2003 I called up the Batsto Rangers. They told me that I was safe with my Jeep on any road that shows up on a topo map. If it does not show on a topo map - no matter how wide or well used the trail is - I'd be fined if I was caught.

Exactly my understanding. I stay on travelled roads wide enough to admit the Toyota and not retain too much of her paint, and trust that with a ranger density of something like 1 per 100 sq. miles (or less!) I will be fine.

Pine Rat Hunter

Oct 1, 2008
What a crock. Well at least you have some access there, most offroad trails in Virginia where I now live are gated and inaccessable. The state forests here are so over regulated you can't drive on them either.
That new regulation was the only way NJ could figure out how to squeeze another dollar out of you guys. They would probably lock and micromanage everything there if wasn't so expensive to do so.
In the end the government will direct every aspect of the sheeples lives and we will only exist to support their wants.