NJ Silica Sand Co

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al knows that I still want to do a plant survey on this little peninsula of sand that juts out into a flooded sand mine down there. We were exploring there about 15? years ago. We walked up to this oddity through a forest clearly not pine barrens, and suddenly came upon a little peninsula with a shocking conversion to something you'd see along the Wading River. I think this is it below. Wide view first to show the location relevant to NJ.

View attachment 20546

View attachment 20545
Bob your memory is impeccable.Yes I remember the spot and the pic you took of me standing there,I believe I had my black lab Sophie with,gone three years now:-(

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, certain spots do look core barrens ish still like behind menatico ponds, along 55 near Sherman ave and a few other spots. Just always wonder if sections of Cumberland at one time looked no different than areas in Chatsworth for example. Saw an old photo of belle plain and it looked like the plains on 539. If I had one super power it would be to go back in time to see what areas use to look like and the species that inhabit them.
Dragon I just came from the areas south of Menantico.The area Berwyn Kirby used to own but is now nature conservancy.Found a survey ribbon out there on a tree three days old.They had the date and the number of chains to the next station written on the ribbon but no bearing.There is no property corner anywhere near that spot so i don't know what their up to. Now i used to live in Belleplain and those woods today are not particuarly barrens like.More oak then anything and a lot of briars but some of the swamps are some of the nicest cedar swamps around.There is a cranberry bog that is absolutely gorgeous with cedar in back of it here https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.27395288512756&lng=-74.90436572235106&z=15&type=topo&gpx= I"m sure you've been there.

Reactions: 66C10