NJPB Live Maps Important Update

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

There isn't new software out that does what Terrabrowser does so that is what I use. If there was I would use it. All of the new Mac software is pretty much useless for stone searching or for that matter doing anything. Google Earth is the best I have found and that is marginal at best especially displaying tracks. In any event, Microsoft has the servers back up for some reason so I was able to complete the downloads for USAPhotoMaps in the event the servers go down again and I can't use Terrabrowser.

The cache on Terrabrowser does not work with 10.6, so all the maps I have viewed in my computer with it that are in the cache are useless. So I booted into 10.4 on a Firewire drive and the cache works. So I have downloaded 500MB of maps at every level except full zoom. For some reason Terrabrowser requires you to view every location at full zoom to save it. This would take me years to do so I spent hours doing it one zoom level up.

So I am in better shape now than I was a few days ago mainly because of tips from Bob and Al.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Well I am glad I could help.I now have all of south jersey to full zoom from a little north of Success lake all the way to cape may point and from the Atlantic to the Delaware so if you,Bob or anyone else needs these files i have them.Will put them on a flash drive tomorrow.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have everything I need on USAPhotoMaps now. Thanks for the offer Al. I am going to burn the maps to DVD so that I always have them.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The man thatc created topofusion said in reply to my email telling him phtomaps was running said that the old version of topofusion should run as well then but the problem is I already downloaded the new version.I have asked him hos to go back to the old and am waiting for a reply.he is going to check out photomaps so perhaps he'sll make a newer version that brings back those aerials.I'd like to have them for the whole country which can be done on photomaps but you have to pan a blank screen to the spot by coords where on topofusion you have a base map to zoom in on.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Microsoft brought MSR Maps back from the dead, only to extinguish it a second time.

I've just updated Live Maps to pull topographic maps from the NJ Office of GIS. The OGIS does not have the black and white aerials that MSR did, but they do have a (rather hazy and somewhat blurry) 2010 aerial set. The quality of the Google "satellite" images are better, but I've added the 2010 images just in case they show something that doesn't show up somewhere else.

Bon appétit.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They did not kill them. They are doing server upgrades and they will be back up. I got this email from them recently.

Thanks to everyone who contacted us regarding their use of MSR Maps. We are going to keep the service going at this time - though the service will not be updated. However, we do need to move and upgrade the servers that are hosting the service today. This will likely cause some down time over the next few weeks. We will try to keep this down time as minimal as possible. Be assured, the service will come back up!

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hrm, well then maybe I will consider moving back if they come back. It's pretty bad that they just take down the service while they're upgrading. You usually keep the old servers up until the new ones are ready to go live. :)