North Jersey hikes

Anyone interested in the Water Gap if the forecast for the weekend improves?

63167050-L.jpg

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
anyone still interested in this hike? i'm probably heading up wednesday (and who knows . . . maybe again saturday if any of you guys can make it).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bobbleton said:
anyone still interested in this hike? i'm probably heading up wednesday (and who knows . . . maybe again saturday if any of you guys can make it).

I can't...sorry.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bobbleton said:

The heat would do me in Bob. I would sweat heavy the whole time and not enjoy it. Its a fall or spring hike for me. Definitely for young guys like you.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I'll work on that. I wonder if the fact that there are ruins of a saw mill on the Dunnfield Trail (I've never seen it or don't rember it if I did) would spark the interest of others.

Steve

I just did a google search to try to get info on the sawmill ruins on the Dunnfield Creek trail. One of the few leads I got led me here. Imagine that.

I hiked this trail yesterday and spotted the ruins. I knew I should have taken a picture. There is still the remnants of a pile of saw dust, and some of it still smells fresh. Amazing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'll be headed up there over the next couple of weeks to fish the creek and visit the Racoon Ridge Hawk Watch. Love that area, up along Old Mine Rd and beyond, lots of history....

3427791362_db382a2249.jpg

3426988763_5dc633409d.jpg

3427791364_a2bba58250.jpg

3427791360_5587cd852f.jpg

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The remains of Fort Shapanack and the Hull graves, nice :). Been up by there many times. And the "inn" is always picturesque in the end-of-day light.

Have you visited the remains of the Depew or Van Campen cemeteries near Calno?

Lots of interesting history in that area.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I was just up there on Labor Day hiking around the area from Millbrook/Van Campens Glen up through Flatbrookville and as far north as the Inn. I agree, there is a lot to see, from the relatively recent stuff resulting from Tocks Island (Rock cores, remains of Lake Success [Crater Lk], and Blue Mountain Lake development), to the much older sites such as Old Mine Rd itself, the various cemeteries, Van Campen Inn, Pahaquarry Copper Mine, ruins etc. It’s an excellent example of nature reclaiming once populated areas. There’s of course plenty of natural areas as well though, Sunfish Pond, and the various lakes, views, etc that can be found all along the ridge and in the valley.

A few weeks before that, I was up there again but more in the Walpack and Layton areas, which has its own attractions as well. The village itself, Buttermilk Falls, etc.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Maybe we can plan to do the 3.75 mile hike up the A.T. to Sunfish Pond and return via the Dunnfield Creek trail (3.5 miles). Those familier with the creek trail will agree it is beautiful.

Steve

That hike is great. One of the few places to catch small wild brook trout in the state too (and the above mentioned Van Campens Glen). Love that area and The Flatbrook area in and below Stokes State Forest.. Gods Country. If you've never stopped in the Walpack Inn give that place a try for lunch and a brew. Very rustic with a big fireplace and lots of animals on the wall.