Off Road Abuse of Wharton State Forest Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
If, for example you mean the way High Crossing Road is closed before Skit Branch so Jeeps cannot get to Quarter Mile, he said (his words): "these types of gates have simply been ripped down in the past or gone around". Which brings us back to LE.
Yeah, ironically the OTNJ guys have offered solutions to prevent that (gates from being damaged) from occurring. We shall see if DEP goes in that direction.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That may be, but under the MAP people who visited the pines and had no intent to go "mudding" would have been shut out of many areas. The PPA advocated it often claiming that a single vehicle driving down a sand road was doing ecological damage.

Then for them to be photographed out there driving down sand roads in 4WD vehicles seems to be the height of hypocrisy.

I never said anything about hypocrisy, and never meant to address that (on purpose). I merely answered a question.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Understood , but it should never have been implemented without stakeholder input, transparency to the public. I understand the PPA's position (they are preservationist) and by that logic they were staying true to there position. However, I believe that the majority of the Pine Barrens should be based on a conservationist protection (access/use for a wide variety of outdoor activities) but there are some very small targeted areas that are exceptional and need further "preservationist" type oversight. I think we are on the right track, I just want DEP yo be in charge and be transparent and accountable to stakeholders with any further changes.

That's what we (OTNJ and this website) wanted too. However all last summer the PPA tried their damnedest to paint any anti MAP person, and especially the "so called leadership" (their words about the OTNJ people who were vocal in the fight) in the worst possible light.

All reasonable people from both sides of the argument agree that targeted closures are one (important) facet of a real comprehensive plan for managing Wharton. There are extremists on both sides of the issue: plenty of "muddin" types think that all public land should be open and free for anybody to use because they pay taxes. (Try that with the White House and see how far you get.) The extremists from the other side are, sadly, the entire leadership of the PPA. There's no pragmatism from them. There's no compromise. They're totally unwilling to even consider an alternate viewpoint. It's their way or the high way.

In all honesty, more people who are members of the PPA should take a look and ask themselves if the way that the PPA is behaving is really in the best interests of the pinelands. I am sure more people than ever know about the PPA and not in a positive light. Had this been planned out better, with outreach to user groups from the DEP and the PPA, we might have avoided what happened last summer and actually had come together with a real, workable, plan that everyone could have been mostly satisfied. There was no reason for things to escalate the way they did.

People should also take a moment and consider that the PPA has basically said that they've assisted with the creation of the MAP for the DEP, if not actually created it themselves. Do we really want special interest groups of any kind trying to dictate policy? How would people feel if I unilaterally came up with a MAP that closed 50% of the roads and used my back-door connections to get it pushed through? I know that this is Jersey and we're used to back alley deals but, really, we should be outraged at this and every other thing like this that happens in our government.

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
This is where you lose me Jason. There is either visible PP and/or local LE enforcement accompanied by stiff fines and penalties or there isn't. "Pinch points", "larger areas made defensible" sounds like a proposal from Colonel Flagg in an episode of MASH.
Like I said they aren't going to stop till they have the pines behind glass and only them can go there

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
... The extremists from the other side are, sadly, the entire leadership of the PPA. There's no pragmatism from them. There's no compromise. They're totally unwilling to even consider an alternate viewpoint. It's their way or the high way.

At (most) times is seems as the other side is entirely made up of the PPA leadership, NJCF leadership and maybe a forest superintendent. It certainly doesn't seem like there are many outside of that group. Scary they got so close to implementing their plan.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
That's what we (OTNJ and this website) wanted too. However all last summer the PPA tried their damnedest to paint any anti MAP person, and especially the "so called leadership" (their words about the OTNJ people who were vocal in the fight) in the worst possible light.

All reasonable people from both sides of the argument agree that targeted closures are one (important) facet of a real comprehensive plan for managing Wharton. There are extremists on both sides of the issue: plenty of "muddin" types think that all public land should be open and free for anybody to use because they pay taxes. (Try that with the White House and see how far you get.) The extremists from the other side are, sadly, the entire leadership of the PPA. There's no pragmatism from them. There's no compromise. They're totally unwilling to even consider an alternate viewpoint. It's their way or the high way.

In all honesty, more people who are members of the PPA should take a look and ask themselves if the way that the PPA is behaving is really in the best interests of the pinelands. I am sure more people than ever know about the PPA and not in a positive light. Had this been planned out better, with outreach to user groups from the DEP and the PPA, we might have avoided what happened last summer and actually had come together with a real, workable, plan that everyone could have been mostly satisfied. There was no reason for things to escalate the way they did.

People should also take a moment and consider that the PPA has basically said that they've assisted with the creation of the MAP for the DEP, if not actually created it themselves. Do we really want special interest groups of any kind trying to dictate policy? How would people feel if I unilaterally came up with a MAP that closed 50% of the roads and used my back-door connections to get it pushed through? I know that this is Jersey and we're used to back alley deals but, really, we should be outraged at this and every other thing like this that happens in our government.
Agreed. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do we really want special interest groups of any kind trying to dictate policy? How would people feel if I unilaterally came up with a MAP that closed 50% of the roads and used my back-door connections to get it pushed through? I know that this is Jersey and we're used to back alley deals but, really, we should be outraged at this and every other thing like this that happens in our government.

Well said Ben! The way the PPA dealt with this is disgraceful and I have absolutely no faith in them at all. More than anything the comment that we here at NJPB would forget irked me more than anything. I will never forget that.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Don't fall for the Alinsky tactics! Each and every one of his rules are being followed to the "T".

Last edited:

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
I think he is referring to that LEO cannot protect areas 24/7/365.....and that enforcement via onsite presence is just one tactic....blocking access to areas "larger areas made defensible" may be the only way to secure very sensitive sites via blocking pinch points (road access areas hemmed in by heavy tree/brush where barrier placement would be most effective).

That is what I meant and it has proven to be effective. The area that was blocked on Sandy Causeway by volunteers last year remains blocked. This blockage has held for a year in an area that was being heavily abused, there were several attempts by mudders to get back in, but they failed. They even tore the fiberglass "no motor vehicle" stakes out of the ground after what appeared to be much digging, but gave up actually trying to get into the pond. The volunteers should be congratulated on this victory.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
That is what I meant and it has proven to be effective. The area that was blocked on Sandy Causeway by volunteers last year remains blocked. This blockage has held for a year in an area that was being heavily abused, there were several attempts by mudders to get back in, but they failed. They even tore the fiberglass "no motor vehicle" stakes out of the ground after what appeared to be much digging, but gave up actually trying to get into the pond. The volunteers should be congratulated on this victory.
Jason, what about the other areas? Deep Run, Quarter Mile, East Stokes Rd, etc?
Would you propose putting permanent "pinch point" blockades in place there?
How about when the guys who spend all that money on Jeeps and 4Wheels are shut down in those areas, and decide to encroach into other areas, like the Friendship bogs. Will you blockade Hawkins Bridge Road from the Bridge to Carranza Rd?
Tsqurd does make a good point, where will it end?
The way I see it, you will ultimately shut down the entire forest. Wharton will become a pine tree museum. Open to kayakers (who can rent their kayaks at Pinelands Adventures) and people able to hike 10 miles in a day.
And when the kayakers walk on "environmentally sensitve wetlands", will they be banned too?

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm going to close this thread tonight since I feel like we're entering the realm of circular arguments that really aren't productive to real discourse. So get your last comments in before 7 or 8-ish.

Feel free to start a new thread if you have something you'd like to say/discuss but after 5 pages (so far) I think this thread needs to retire.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I have been watching this thread from the side lines because you all are probably aware of my own thoughts on this topic and are sick of hearing from me. However, since we have Jason engaged, I'll just add this: In my real life, I'm an engineer and a manager. All I do all day every day is solve problems. I'm handed a problem, I look at the constraints, I look at alternatives and choose a solution. In nearly every case, due to the constraints, the solution is a compromise solution. I could be an idealist and always propose idealized solutions but if I did, I would have been fired years ago because my solutions would have never worked. (because of the constraints) I'm the consummate pragmatist.

So when I got involved in this topic, I applied my work experience to this situation. We have a problem: ORVs are damaging the forest. We have constraints: the outdoor community will never accept mass closures. The DEP and the environmental groups will never accept doing nothing. I need to operate within those two simple constraints: I've accepted that it will never again be like it was in July 2015 and will have look for common ground. I have used my influence to help shape OTNJ in that way. Looking for this common ground is why I support the DEP's current plan and why OTNJ has proposed the Jemima project. I'm willing to accept compromise. The problem I see with the PPA currently is that they don't recognize one of the constraints of this game: the public will not accept mass closures as an answer. So any solution that suggests that will fail. This is a constraint on the solution. It cannot be changed. It will never go away. We will fight that to the end and despite what Jaclyn thinks, we will never forget. The PPA needs to recognize that constraint and move toward the middle. If they don't, they will continue to do more and more harm to themselves and they won't actually help solve this problem.

Their other problem is with honesty and trustworthiness. Jason, Carlton, Jaclyn, have all distorted the truth and used people and this is highly visible to everyone except (I guess) themselves. The ends do not justify the means. Despite how ugly this whole thing has become, I held myself to a high standard of honesty and integrity and so have many (but not all) of the other MAP opponents. I can sleep at night. When we originally proposed the Jemima project to the Commissioner, we considered bringing the PPA to work with us. However, we agreed that we could not trust them because of their past behavior and instead kept it a secret until it was approved. That is a shame and it was a missed opportunity, but we had no choice, they forced our hand. Perhaps someday if some integrity is demonstrated, we can engage in future opportunities.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In my real life, I'm an engineer and a manager. All I do all day every day is solve problems. I'm handed a problem, I look at the constraints, I look at alternatives and choose a solution. In nearly every case, due to the constraints, the solution is a compromise solution.

As Forrest once said;
Life is like a box of compromises; you never know what you're gonna get

Reactions: mowergod

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been watching this thread from the side lines because you all are probably aware of my own thoughts on this topic and are sick of hearing from me. However, since we have Jason engaged, I'll just add this: In my real life, I'm an engineer and a manager.

This most likely will be the post of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.