Off Road Abuse of Wharton State Forest Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
We have constraints: the outdoor community will never accept mass closures. The DEP and the environmental groups will never accept doing nothing. .

You need to take into account the DEP has constraints too. The won't and / or can't provide the funding required to keep those fragile areas from being destroyed. Sure, you can prosecute those that have done the damage, but collecting fines and impounding trucks won't bring the plants and animals back.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
I would just like everyone to remember that we are all brothers and sisters here and this is a disagreement over a policy position. I appreciate very much the discussion that we are having and I like to remember that we are fortunate to be able to have this type of democracy.

I will request that I not be insulted the next time I post here. I request that if you have a conspiracy theory, please back it up before you spread it around, because a lie goes around the world before the truth gets its britches on. I also request that the volunteers be congratulated on the success they have had protecting that pond on Sandy Causeway, that so many here lambasted months ago.

For myself, I will promise to hear you out and not jump the gun on motivations of the people who are against certain policy proposals. I would not be speaking here if I didn't think many of the people reading care about the issues affecting the Pines.

Let's try to go into the future with open minds and forget all that bitterness and cynicism. I have been impressed by both the strengths and the weaknesses of democracy and of public lands protection during this issue. There are real consequences to the actions we take (or do not take) and we should remember that the more that we are divided, the easier it will be for the developers to come in and sell this place off. That being said, we also can't be sacrificing the lands we have already compromised to protect. As residents of the pines(those of us who are), we have made great personal sacrifices, I do not want to see those sacrifices wasted.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
I would just like everyone to remember that we are all brothers and sisters here and this is a disagreement over a policy position. I appreciate very much the discussion that we are having and I like to remember that we are fortunate to be able to have this type of democracy.

I will request that I not be insulted the next time I post here. I request that if you have a conspiracy theory, please back it up before you spread it around, because a lie goes around the world before the truth gets its britches on. I also request that the volunteers be congratulated on the success they have had protecting that pond on Sandy Causeway, that so many here lambasted months ago.

For myself, I will promise to hear you out and not jump the gun on motivations of the people who are against certain policy proposals. I would not be speaking here if I didn't think many of the people reading care about the issues affecting the Pines.

Let's try to go into the future with open minds and forget all that bitterness and cynicism. I have been impressed by both the strengths and the weaknesses of democracy and of public lands protection during this issue. There are real consequences to the actions we take (or do not take) and we should remember that the more that we are divided, the easier it will be for the developers to come in and sell this place off. That being said, we also can't be sacrificing the lands we have already compromised to protect. As residents of the pines(those of us who are), we have made great personal sacrifices, I do not want to see those sacrifices wasted.
Preservation and Conservation are both worthy causes and I would welcome a cooperative spirit to tackle the issues. Glad to hear that the volunteers were successful in protecting Sandy Causeway area. My understanding is that there are a significant number of volunteers on both sides who would like to help out (The Double Trouble tree thinning comes to mind as another success). Let's fight the pipeline, 6543 homes in Manchester, and other issues while we work together on reducing illegal usage of the forest.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011

Jason, if the personal attacks stop and the PPA is honest about its plans and agenda, then I think we can possibly build a bridge here. However, we have been to this same exact spot at multiple times in the past, both in this forum and in private discussions. (As Ben mentioned in the past, we all talk to one another so we are quite aware of what is said to whom) I, for one am willing to give this another go, but as Ron Reagan once said "trust, but verify". If we observe a real change in behavior than perhaps we can we can lay down our weapons. But let's see what the future holds.....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Brother to brother, and I hope you are not offended but, take a hike.

Reactions: noboat and mowergod

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Jason, while we are on the subject of personal attacks and insults. I would like to see less of yours directed at specific members of OTNJ in your blogs. Everyone's end game is to protect the pines just different ways.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Jason, I'm sorry but I do not have any respect for you and your organizations right now. Your collective actions have damaged not only yourself, but your associates and the PPA as well in my mind. Posting some conciliatory comments on a web site does not change my feelings, it's going to take way more than that. My intention was never to personally insult you, but rather share my feelings. I will continue to do so and if that insults you, sobeit.

Status
Not open for further replies.