Off Road Abuse of Wharton State Forest Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009

I personally reported this group to the NJ DEP Hotline, they were out in broad daylight on Saturday Afternoon on Quaker Bridge Rd and other well-traveled areas. This video shows them in multiple areas that are signed off to motor vehicles, including First Beach on the Mullica River. One clip even shows them in the middle of what I believe is the Batsto River, possibly at Hampton Park.

UPDATE: This group of land abusers received a verbal warning. I am investigating how to submit this video as evidence against them. The DEP Hotline Dispatcher did not have a way for me to do that.

Here is another recent video from the Atsion Burn Natural Heritage Priority site from just a few weeks ago. This area is home to multiple endangered and threatened species and it is being turned into a virtual mudding arena.

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
They should be arrested just for owning selfie sticks. Seriously, the kid hanging on the outside of the Jeep in the first video? Real great way to get yourself seriously injured.

What was the reaction from the Warn DEP people? Were you able to give them license plate numbers?

I wonder if it would also make sense to call the rangers in addition to the Warn DEP number. I'm assuming you probably have one of their cell numbers. ;)

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Screenshot_20160516-151756.png

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ

I personally reported this group to the NJ DEP Hotline, they were out in broad daylight on Saturday Afternoon on Quaker Bridge Rd and other well-traveled areas. This video shows them in multiple areas that are signed off to motor vehicles, including First Beach on the Mullica River. One clip even shows them in the middle of what I believe is the Batsto River, possibly at Hampton Park.

Here is another recent video from the Atsion Burn Natural Heritage Priority site from just a few weeks ago. This area is home to multiple endangered and threatened species and it is being turned into a virtual mudding arena.
On that second video...is that "road" normally like that...or is that a seasonal flooding issue? To have two possibly lifted Wranglers and then separately that abandoned white pickup truck stuck and then such a long stretch of road underwater (it almost looks like you could kayak)...should be an indicator that this road should be closed during flooding like exhibited here....search and rescue, law enforcement or fire would have a very tough time accessing these areas in an emergency not to mention the additional damage done to the sand road by driving through it in these type of conditions. With hundreds of miles of other roads/trails to choose from DEP needs to protect this natural heritage area during flooded conditions like this...

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Here's one from April 24, 2016.....some of the guys on here seem to know every square inch of this place and might recognize this location...you can see SIX state forest signs at the 13 second mark.......he then proceeds to bury his Jeep....I'm guessing no motorized vehicle and state regs signs.....

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Here's one from April 24, 2016.....some of the guys on here seem to know every square inch of this place and might recognize this location...you can see SIX state forest signs at the 13 second mark.......he then proceeds to bury his Jeep....I'm guessing no motorized vehicle and state regs signs.....
You can't fix stupid. it would be nice if we can stop everyone from going passed the signs but that would be like saying that you can stop people from taking a gun passed a no gun zone sign most won't but a few will.i have not been out to high crossing area(i think that is where this video is)in awhile.has anyone been back to 1/4mile lately,are they still going back their

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
You can't fix stupid. it would be nice if we can stop everyone from going passed the signs but that would be like saying that you can stop people from taking a gun passed a no gun zone sign most won't but a few will.i have not been out to high crossing area(i think that is where this video is)in awhile.has anyone been back to 1/4mile lately,are they still going back their
Yeah, no argument there...more from an enforcement perspective if this fella was caught those signs would help in conviction. Too bad his license plate was not visible :)

Reactions: Piney4life

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Yeah, no argument there...more from an enforcement perspective if this fella was caught those signs would help in conviction. Too bad his license plate was not visible :)
Absolutely unfortunately we can't afford 300 spp officers but i have to say that i have seen them more now than before and they are very willing to talk to you as stewards of the forest.and i get the feeling that if you are doing something you shouldn't be doing they will hammer you to the maximum amount fines and impound vehicle.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
On that second video...is that "road" normally like that...or is that a seasonal flooding issue? To have two possibly lifted Wranglers and then separately that abandoned white pickup truck stuck and then such a long stretch of road underwater (it almost looks like you could kayak)...should be an indicator that this road should be closed during flooding like exhibited here....search and rescue, law enforcement or fire would have a very tough time accessing these areas in an emergency not to mention the additional damage done to the sand road by driving through it in these type of conditions. With hundreds of miles of other roads/trails to choose from DEP needs to protect this natural heritage area during flooded conditions like this...
The white truck was not abandoned he cut the video just as he seen 2 people walking up to him watch it closely before you see the white truck.what bothers me is how he puts the video out when he knows the road is legal to be on but spins it to look like its illegal. why can't (s.e.v.) have a few roads to go on they can use rtp funds to maintain this type of road thats what it is for. as long as they stay on road.many states do this to give balance to all recreational users.they post signs letting you now what you are getting into if you go on that rd.and im not saying 1/4 mile that should be off limits.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What was the reaction from the Warn DEP people? Were you able to give them license plate numbers?

I wonder if it would also make sense to call the rangers in addition to the Warn DEP number. I'm assuming you probably have one of their cell numbers.

It would also make sense to file a summons by ones self; now that would be true activism. :clint: It would take as much time as creating the post; I believe it can be phoned in. Another post here discussed it.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
As been stated before, people intent on breaking the law will do so. Not sure what the point of the original post is, other than, perhaps, to stir the pot? I don't think Mr. Howell is anything more than a paid agitator that has time and time again mis-represented facts and out right lied to try to push his close the forest agenda - I'd suggest not putting to much faith in anything he says.

A quick Google search of Micheal "Mike" Hickey, the youtube poster of the "Spring time" video, one will quickly see his association with the PPA and Al Horner, so it should be no surprise there is an attempt to mislead viewers in his videos.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
As been stated before, people intent on breaking the law will do so. Not sure what the point of the original post is, other than, perhaps, to stir the pot? I don't think Mr. Howell is anything more than a paid agitator that has time and time again mis-represented facts and out right lied to try to push his close the forest agenda - I'd suggest not putting to much faith in anything he says.

A quick Google search of Micheal "Mike" Hickey, the youtube poster of the "Spring time" video, one will quickly see his association with the PPA and Al Horner, so it should be no surprise there is an attempt to mislead viewers in his videos.
I believe it's called "Trolling":)

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford

So what you mean is he will take all the comments and put them under the microscope and pic out only what he can twist to further his agenda

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ

Did any one notice the column of smoke in the direction they were heading in the second video (started seeing it around 16:45). It's likely a control burn but I'd be a little concerned driving too deep into that mess;)

Reactions: ARMSTRONG

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009

This area is called High Crossing, right along the way to Quarter Mile by the Central RR Line. Some people have complained that the state cut trees to block that area off, but they should have done much more. It seemed to me more like the trees were to protect a recently repaired culvert on Tuckerton Rd. from people driving up the banks of it.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Did any one notice the column of smoke in the direction they were heading in the second video (started seeing it around 16:45). It's likely a control burn but I'd be a little concerned driving too deep into that mess;)

That video was uploaded 4/17 - I believe that was the day of the fire between Atsion and Quakerbridge - not a controlled burn...

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Tsqurd, whoever you are, I am not going to reply to such an insulting tone except to say this. I am as piney as it gets, born, bred, and I continue here, so get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.