Off-roaders agree preservation vital at Wharton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it is. I wonder why it is just coming out now? Is something going on that we all need to know? I am always suspecious.

I would be concerned about having a fee. Once some individuals pay that fee they will believe they can do anything and be legal even if told otherwise at signup. And then we will have the arguments between this who have the permit and those who don't. That makes this situation even worse. And who sets the fee and enforces it, and will the fee escalate to the point it is not practical? I can see the PPA or other individuals pushing to raise the cost and then we will have another fiasco as we just went through. That is not the answer and the DEP pretty much said that when they mentioned it was dropped early on in the decision making. They made the right call in regards to that.

The answer to this is enforcement, however; it is blatantly obvious this will be a problem sustaining.

Make sure you click on the photos also and view them. And watch the video of the young female hunter. We need more kids like that.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A permit is how the state 'manages' beach driving at the two state parks that allow it and are not interchangeable. A annual permit is $195/residents, $225/non-residents; 3 day permit is $75/$90. You must have certain mandatory equipment in the vehicle and be checked prior to the permit being issued. Fines are steep, however, with the park police becoming part of the state police, they no longer patrol the beach. There used to be a limit on the number sold, that is no longer the case. The monies collected from the permit fee's go into the general fund. There has not been any issues with the vast majority using the permit and those with the permits generally self-police for violations. A license plate number and a phone call is easy to report and there is only one way out, unless the vehicle is amphibious. ;)

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, I've been paying a fee for many years. It's called taxes. That gives me the right, as far as I'm concerned, to ride in the forest/woods of public land. Not to do with it what I want, but certainly, be allowed full access to the road system that goes through those woods.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also would be slow in saying that we "won" because I don' think this is over yet.