Off Roading!!!!

olypenjeeper

Sep 15, 2008
a suzuki samurai imo is a great woods rig. where i lived in nw washington state on the the olympic peninsula, guys would build them for really cheap and they fit on any trail, including quad trails. parts are everywhere for them too, and toyota parts are easy to fit also, ie axles ect. i say do it man.
and a 40 tire is just stupid, my cherokee with a 5 inch lift and 33's would outwheel a pos mud truck any day, other than trying to run deep holes which i hate anyways.

Attachments

• l_5b38028d02ba47efb1e685b0d80ffde0.jpg
    l_5b38028d02ba47efb1e685b0d80ffde0.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 310

olypenjeeper

Sep 15, 2008
thanks, i actually don't have the cherokee anymore unfortunately. it was pretty awesome, 4.56 gears, detroit lockers, skids, winch , swapped in dana 44 axle in the back all sorts of other junk too. it really did go just about anywhere. i have a tacoma now, i just put a small lift 1.75 billstein 5100 adjustables in the front and a one inch block in the rear with 265/75/16 nitto terra grapplers. i'm looking forward to exploring the pine barrens this winter and doing some camping.

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
Are there any charts or maps about pine barren dirty roads?

I have a Jeep Trailblazer. On satellite imaging there appears to be many dirt roads in the pine barrens. Just wondering if there was any guide to what ones are open to the public, etc. There appears to be a dirt road that parallels Rt 70 on the south side between the circle that takes you to Fort Dix and the Rt 72 circle. I drove part of it but re-entered rt 70. I always wondered if there was a through dirt road to the other side of the state in case of a Lacey nuclear plant meltdown or escaping a hurricane if the main roads became jammed. I would be coming from the Beachwood,South Toms River area.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I have a Jeep Trailblazer. On satellite imaging there appears to be many dirt roads in the pine barrens. Just wondering if there was any guide to what ones are open to the public, etc. There appears to be a dirt road that parallels Rt 70 on the south side between the circle that takes you to Fort Dix and the Rt 72 circle. I drove part of it but re-entered rt 70. I always wondered if there was a through dirt road to the other side of the state in case of a Lacey nuclear plant meltdown or escaping a hurricane if the main roads became jammed. I would be coming from the Beachwood,South Toms River area.

If it's marked on a map it's legal to drive on, or that's the rule as I always understood it. If it isn't marked, then technically I think you'd be in violation.

OP: you've built completely the wrong kind of truck for exploring woods of any kind. You'd just be pushing tree limbs out of the way with your windhield all day, and since there is no way you can take a rig like that into the woods without tearing stuff up, just don't. You need to go out to Rouch in PA, or some park like that.

Oct 5, 2007
Gibbsboro
Did greenpeace move in? Wow I thought the Pine Barrens were for the People. There are roads to take if you want mud. And there are websites out there to help you to that end. Sounds like to me the Nature nuts (me too, to a point) are taking over Wharton State Forest for their own nature preserve!

Did greenpeace move in? Wow I thought the Pine Barrens were for the People. There are roads to take if you want mud. And there are websites out there to help you to that end. Sounds like to me the Nature nuts (me too, to a point) are taking over Wharton State Forest for their own nature preserve!

The Pine Barrens is a reserve, that's why it's called the Pinelands National Reserve and why the United Nations calls it an International Biosphere Reserve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
look on aerials for gravel pits,they have some of the biggest mud holes in them,also aerials will show flooded roads.bing aerials are great for finding flooded roads and ponds in gravel pits.try not to go in pits thats are obviously not mudded in because they may be habitats for endangered slamanders.if the pit looks well slopped up you know it's in regular use and not inhabited by anything endangered because it's already been wiped out there.
Al

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake

They are for the people (and lets not forget nature), not jackasses with huge trucks making the roads impassable for sport. Most of us have trucks (myself included), so this post isn't aimed at everyone with trucks, just the idiots who think tearing up the roads is cool. The fine line between exploring and destroying doesn't seemed to have sunk in with some people here. I believe that is the sole argument made by many on this thread.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
They are for the people (and lets not forget nature), not jackasses with huge trucks making the roads impassable for sport. Most of us have trucks (myself included), so this post isn't aimed at everyone with trucks, just the idiots who think tearing up the roads is cool. The fine line between exploring and destroying doesn't seemed to have sunk in with some people here. I believe that is the sole argument made by many on this thread.

Hense the reason a place is needed. As I said before nothing is going to even slow down until a park of some sort is open. Its a growing sport. I'm doing my part by having the mud bog up at new egypt however it's just not enough to keep all the mud addicted guys out of the pines. I've been threw tyhis before. I personally believe the mud in the pine barrens blows. its either deep water and sand. which is no challenge at all or bottomless black mud which is no challenge at all (instant stuck). Some goodw ole sand mines with clay mud holes or asome old dredging area would be ideal. Allk done with my 2 cents. I'm also sure you guys know by now that I do not agree with just purposley tearing up the pines.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Big trucks can roll gently thru the pines. It's when the driver's brain short circuits, he dumps it in 2wd in a puddle & decides to power-brake.

Dave, you're doing a great job! I applaud you, but I don't think you can't stop it. It's the same with street racing, & I'm guilty of that one. Atco Dragway's 10 minutes from home, but I was always up for a race, no matter where.

Hense the reason a place is needed. As I said before nothing is going to even slow down until a park of some sort is open. Its a growing sport. I'm doing my part by having the mud bog up at new egypt however it's just not enough to keep all the mud addicted guys out of the pines. I've been threw tyhis before. I personally believe the mud in the pine barrens blows. its either deep water and sand. which is no challenge at all or bottomless black mud which is no challenge at all (instant stuck). Some goodw ole sand mines with clay mud holes or asome old dredging area would be ideal. Allk done with my 2 cents. I'm also sure you guys know by now that I do not agree with just purposley tearing up the pines.

Is there not an off-roading park off Savoy Blvd? Maybe it's not for trucks; I wouldn't know.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Is there not an off-roading park off Savoy Blvd? Maybe it's not for trucks; I wouldn't know.

that has been shut down for over a year and no, it was not for trucks. ATVs only. I realize they are both "ORVs" but two totally different sports. It's like comparing PGA golf to minature golf at the boardwalk. Ashame the 900 acres of privately owned land on Well Mills rd. never got approved. The state wanted it to be a shopping mall and cookie cutter houses to collect more taxes so they kept turning the owner down. Now it is deemed a preserve. The Pinelands Commision won't even tell him what he can and cannot do with his land. It really is ashame that he didn't even have his vaseline out and ready