old mining remains

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I was browsing on jersey devil 4x4 website and came across some wooden structure that they had labeled old mining remains and its located in wharton. Does anybody know where this is? Thanks Dave

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
can you link to the pic? I'm sure you're talking about the pizza queen. The member who classified it as "mining" or whatever is from Great Britain. In england, everything that comes from the land, either on top or from below is considered mining. At least that was her explanation when queried on it. But there are no underground mines in the pines. Old clay pits and sand quarries yes. Underground shafts....no. Maybe a fifties era bomb shelter or two....

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
5073157776-R1-014-5A-med.jpg

I found it.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
The Cutts family built that "pump" on the Oswego to get water to their nearby bogs years ago. When you visit the area you will see the canal that leads off into the woods. I always thought that they had their most extensive bogs on Beaver Run just past Harrisville but those ones that you can see in the Martha/Calico area might be theirs as well. I never got a chance to explore out there since much of it is private. At one time they had extensive blueberries in the area and used to have a blueberry farm in North Carolina as well (many Jersey blueberry farmers apparently had farms in North Carolina). Someone once told me that the Cutts family was the biggest blueberry grower in the world at one time. Check out Ed Lipman's "Labor of Love" book for a little more on the Cutts bogs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The question is was it a failure, or did the state stop them from taking the water out of the river? Or was is abandoned for some other reason?

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I tried finding pizza queen today and heading south on 679 bodine field on the right take the dirt road on the left. I am correct? Then aways came across a fenced in area that I believe is martha on the left then further down you can see an open area where the road bends to the left then to the right and there was a drain pipe across the so I turned around I didn't want to get stuck on it is this the area the pizza queen is at??? Thanks Dave

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You were practically within spitting distance. If you followed the road to the left (NOT the one with the broken pipe) you would have been there.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
Wow I was that close and turned around. I thougnt it would be to the right because it looked like cranberry bogs that way. There was a lot of people back there also riding dirt bikes. The ranger would of had a ball if he went back there writing all those people tickets. Also in greenwood forest there was a lot of dirt bikes and quads riping up everything in sight. Total disregaurd for the land. The ranger should pay them a visit also and ticket them instead of harrassing those of us of are just out to enjoy the pines.. Dave

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
TeeGate said:
The question is was it a failure, or did the state stop them from taking the water out of the river? Or was is abandoned for some other reason?

Guy

I spoke with a person today whose family has been in the cranberry business for generations. He seems to recall it working through the 60's and possibly into the 70's. Apparently it was a success in getting water to those bogs. It is my understanding that the Cutts family sold the land where the pump and bogs are to the State but are leasing back the bogs from them. Don't know about that for sure. Perhaps when the State took over they put an end to the pumping of water out of the Oswego there. I want to say that most of the water for their bogs is pumped from wells now. I'll try and find out.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Oriental said:
Perhaps when the State took over they put an end to the pumping of water out of the Oswego there. I want to say that most of the water for their bogs is pumped from wells now. I'll try and find out.

When would they normally pump to flood the bogs? I went fishing at Harrisville Lake last September and tried to go up stream a little. The water level was pretty low, had to get out and pull the canoe a couple of times. (the water was nice though, felt really good).