on the road to Carranza

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is an odd one. I have never found anything except that sign.

Guy

Gabe:

The “Tunking Mill,” which reportedly takes its name from the sound it made, was probably the stamping mill and forge associated with Hampton Furnace. Boyer notes the earliest mention found of Hampton Furnace appeared in a 1795 deed between Clayton Earl and William Lane and John W. Godfrey, both of Philadelphia for a consideration of £4,000. The conveyance included “…all that Certain Furnace called Hampton Furance and also in all that Certain Sawmill known by the name of ‘Unknown Mill,’ together with a one-quarter interest in the “Skit Mill” and parcels of land attached….” The furnace passed to successive owners until Joseph Doran paid a tax on “…4900 of land and a forge with six fires” in 1812. Writing in his 1834 gazetteer, Gordon notes, “The Hampton Furnace and Forge at the head of Batsto River is now in ruins.” Boyer also states, “Mr. A.J. Rider, the present (1928) owner of a considerable part of the Hampton Furnace Tract, states that the forge and furnace were some distance apart and located on two different streams.”

The Tabernacle Township historical pamphlet, published in 1989, indicates the moniker as the “Tonging Mill” instead of the “Tunking Mill.” Then again, perhaps the Tabernacle Township Historical Society placed the marker in the wrong location, but I think I have identified the mill itself. Historical mapping suggests the forge and stamping mill stood further down the Batsto.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: glowordz

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
no it cannot.I drove it north fropm carranza road maybe two monts ago and it turns to dirt and a very large sign stans next to the road letting you know in precise terms you are not wanted there.I have never tried to drive it from the north.
Al

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thank you, Jerseyman! The sign on Carranza Road states that the mill was on the "Green Limb Branch". I'm wondering where this creek is and what name it goes by today....

Also, is it true that there were two forges associated with Hampton Furnace, one of which was located on Robert's Branch of the Batsto?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'd be wary of any of those historic marker signs. The spelling and grammar on all of them are pretty atrocious, which leads me to believe that they shouldn't relied upon for canonical evidence of anything.

Hrm, an article on Hamton Furnace would be nice to have...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I'd be wary of any of those historic marker signs. The spelling and grammar on all of them are pretty atrocious, which leads me to believe that they shouldn't relied upon for canonical evidence of anything.

You spelled Hampton incorrectly. :D

Thank you, Jerseyman! The sign on Carranza Road states that the mill was on the "Green Limb Branch". I'm wondering where this creek is and what name it goes by today....

Also, is it true that there were two forges associated with Hampton Furnace, one of which was located on Robert's Branch of the Batsto?

Gabe:

AFAIK, Green Limb Branch still carries that name (look for the red arrow):

5667952534_829d94520a_b.jpg

Yes, there were two forges associated with Hampton:

5667952594_756d74ec41_b.jpg

And, as noted above, the lower one is depicted “in ruins” on the 1833 Gordon map. Of course, both of these forges are quite a ways below Green Limb Branch, which is why I think the Tabernacle Historical Society planted the historical marker at the wrong location.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

scriptor rerum Nova Caesarea
Dei memor, gratus amicus
——————————————————————————————————————
“For I bless God in the libraries of the learned and for all the
booksellers in the world.”
Christopher Smart (1722-1771): Jubilate Agno, Fragment B

Reactions: glowordz

Ben:

Is this a hint to you or to me?

Best regards,
Jerseyman

scriptor rerum Nova Caesarea
Dei memor, gratus amicus
“For I bless God in the libraries of the learned and for all the
booksellers in the world.”
Christopher Smart (1722-1771): Jubilate Agno, Fragment B

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

Hey, that's my backyard. Front yard actually. Green Limb is still alive, it is tainted with fertilizer from some nearby farms. I have seen it referred as Horse limb branch on one map. The head waters of the batsto extend north of 532 beyond goose pond. The batsto due east of my house is a mere trickle however. the Batsto gets real wild between 532 and carranza. It is difficult to even get to in spots.

The Batsto due east of me
goosepondwoods_004.JPG

Jeff

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The Tabernacle Township historical pamphlet, published in 1989, indicates the moniker as the “Tonging Mill” instead of the “Tunking Mill.” Then again, perhaps the Tabernacle Township Historical Society placed the marker in the wrong location, but I think I have identified the mill itself. Historical mapping suggests the forge and stamping mill stood further down the Batsto.

Jerseyman,

Where do you think the stamping mill was exactly? And what forge are you referring to? Lower Forge?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Boyer notes the earliest mention found of Hampton Furnace appeared in a 1795 deed between Clayton Earl and William Lane and John W. Godfrey, both of Philadelphia for a consideration of £4,000. The conveyance included “…all that Certain Furnace called Hampton Furance and also in all that Certain Sawmill known by the name of ‘Unknown Mill,’ together with a one-quarter interest in the “Skit Mill” and parcels of land attached….”

Jerseyman,

I'm a bit confused. I was somehow under the impression that Hampton Furnace was built around 1795, but evidently it was already there in 1795? Also, have you any idea where this "Unknown Saw Mill" was?

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Brings up a lot of questions for me too.
Is "suresue"'s old house of historical significance? Who is the current property owner or the large piece of land?
Just up the road from there is "johnson place". What is it and is it worth exploring?

stump jumper

Apr 29, 2012
life long tabernacle
there are houses and people still living at johnsons place .its off of sooy rd. across the street from johnsonplace rd is a hiking trail .if you look close as you come down the white trail you will see a blue stone with a M ingraved on it . it must have been a very old propety marker

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes its in the first half mile from sooy .its on the left hand site by a old dead oak
thanks! I was going back there this winter to check out the rest of the trails I missed,I'll check it out.I remember the green trail as being very hard to follow across the swam,the swamp was so open and the blaze so few and the trail so little used it took a while to follow it across.