Ongs Hat

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
gagliarchives said:
As I said earlier, it's a good story if you are into Chaos Theory.

Can you give me a quick readers digest version of how Ongs Hat is involved with Chaos Theory?

Admittedly all I really know about Chaos Theory is what I remember from Jurassic Park...

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
bruset said:
I am more apt to believe in the Jersey Devil than I do the Ongs Hat Egg.

What Devil? I've been to the Pines at least one thousand times in my short lifetime and I have yet to see a bit of evidence that he exists. I really find it hard to believe that some people think he really is out there.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Piney1125 said:
bruset said:
I am more apt to believe in the Jersey Devil than I do the Ongs Hat Egg.

What Devil? I've been to the Pines at least one thousand times in my short lifetime and I have yet to see a bit of evidence that he exists. I really find it hard to believe that some people think he really is out there.

I believe you won't find any that but if you could speak to the people of NJ that lived here in the early 1900s, they would tell you something else.

I would also guess that the people in the early 1900s didn't believe in witches that people did in the late 1600s/early 1700s.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
bruset said:
gagliarchives said:

Can you give me a quick readers digest version of how Ongs Hat is involved with Chaos Theory?

Admittedly all I really know about Chaos Theory is what I remember from Jurassic Park...

Here's the really quick version. Back in the late 60's/early 70's some learned scientists from Princeton were booted from teaching there for their radical theories and experiments based on interdimensional travel/time travel/parallel worlds. They formed a collective with other scientists and moved to an area in the Pines (Ongs Hat) and set up camp. They supposedly mastered the interdimensional 'thing' in large egg like devices...left for somewhere else...and then the military tore the compound apart, when word got out. People in Ong's Hat actually witnessed the dismantiling apparently. This was mid 70's...there is a lot more...but this was the fast version.

As for the Devil....who knows...there has to be some truth in legend. :bounce:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
gagliarchives said:
bruset said:
gagliarchives said:

Here's the really quick version. Back in the late 60's/early 70's some learned scientists from Princeton were booted from teaching there for their radical theories and experiments based on interdimensional travel/time travel/parallel worlds. They formed a collective with other scientists and moved to an area in the Pines (Ongs Hat) and set up camp. They supposedly mastered the interdimensional 'thing' in large egg like devices...left for somewhere else...and then the military tore the compound apart, when word got out. People in Ong's Hat actually witnessed the dismantiling apparently. This was mid 70's...there is a lot more...but this was the fast version.

As for the Devil....who knows...there has to be some truth in legend. :bounce:

Thats all a good story. :)

I used to live in Presidential Lakes in the 1970's. One guy who came into the 4-mile tavern a lot was from Ongs Hat. He was a gay, dirty old man who always tried to make it with the young men at the bar.

Say, do any of you remember when the 4 mile tavern was called the Sportsmens Bar? That is what it used to called in the 60's.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I went to Ong's Hat today and looked around, generally in the area where the Cook's Topis showed a clearing. The only thing left in that area is some grass and a couple of decent sized pitch pines. The areas across the street have been redeveloped with some residential properties. I like that there is a diner in the area since that was the purpose of Ong's Hut way back then. It's a "queer" little area that envokes the imagination.

I also went to where I think the area of Burrs Mill used to be. There are some small very stagnant pools that may be from the water-power used there. I'm pretty sure it's another case of obliteration, but my travels were inhibited by private property and a big black dog who's barking made me nervous enough to leave.

P

Pineyprowler

I was told by a local near Magnolia rd. that the tavern was a Hells Angels hangout way back. Can anybody confirm this?