Oregon 450 sale at REI

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I want to make it quick and easy and use the polygon, but there is no way to add to the cart. If I pick them individually it will only add one item to the cart at a time. And when I finally pick them all I have to download each individually and that took 30 minutes and I know I missed a few.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

If you go to post 10 on that page, and look at your second photo with the squares checked and the list of them on the right, can you reproduce that now? It just does not work. When I highlight a square it shows on the right but as soon as I move to another square that original square goes away and the new one show. I never have more than one item in the cart.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Seems to work for me (Firefox on Windows). Choose the polygon tool and click to create a each new corner of the polygon. Repeat until the polygon touches all the tiles you want. As long as it passes anywhere though a tile, it will be selected.

sel1.jpg

Double-click when you reach the final corner and all the tiles will appear on the list at the right.

sel2.jpg

Click the checkbox on each tile, then click add to cart. Click the cart icon and you should see this. Click the jpeg link on each tile to download. You can have multiple downloads in progress, don't remember how many... perhaps 5?

cart.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It worked. The instructions do not say that double clicking will add the items to the cart. It should be more specific. All it says is double clicking will release the curser.

Thanks Boyd!

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Don't feel bad - I struggled to understand all that initially myself. Even now, I had to remember some of the finer points when I tried. It's the kind of website that could only come from a GIS nerd working for the state. :) But once you know how it works, you can download large amounts of data pretty easily and the quality is really great.

Have fun!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It just seems like way to much work and I won't have the time to get it going.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I just downloaded a tile and had a look at that 1995 imagery. It is pretty low resolution: 11.5 feet per pixel. So some features may stand out better, but that's a huge quality difference. The 2007 imagery is 1 foot per pixel. So, for an area of one square mile (for example), the 2007 image would contain 132x as much information as the 1995 image.

But I suppose the good news is that you could make a map with decent coverage at 11 feet per pixel. Garmin's format would permit an area about 20 miles x 20 miles (or any other size rectangle of 400 square miles). I can't make any promises, but if you tell me what you are interested in, I will look into making a map to post at GPSFileDepot.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The quality of the 1995 aerials are much better. Notice how the roads stick out more, and the blue circle shows how the rivers and streams are pardon the pun washed out. When on a PBX hike we need to see these area's more clearly and that is why both Bob and I use the 1995 views. For stone searching they also show me the best and easiest way to get to where I want to go. I have viewed the 1995 aerials on Al's GPS and it is far superior than the 2007 on mine.

1995.jpg

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well you are zoomed way out in those screenshots. Here is an example; the pink rectangle shows the area that is covered in the images below:

24k.jpg

Here is what the 2007 image looks like at full resolution

2007.jpg

And this is the exact same area on the 1995 image. There is really no comparison....

1995.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well you are zoomed way out in those screenshots. Here is an example; the pink rectangle shows the area that is covered in the images below:

]

The maps do not look that good on the GPS, and if you look those maps over closely notice how some of the roads are almost not shown in the 2007 but they are there in the 2005. That is what I am interested in.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have added in as many maps as the GPS will hold without buying a bigger card. One certainly has to upgrade if they want to be able to travel to various locations and still have coverage.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/09052010/map.jpg

Guy

Your talking 'aerial images', right? If not, there must be a problem. I have 3/4's of the coast of Maine, the Delaware River Natil Rec Area and most of the Adirondack Park on mine and still have room. But they are topo's, as I rarely use the aerials.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your talking 'aerial images', right? If not, there must be a problem. I have 3/4's of the coast of Maine, the Delaware River Natil Rec Area and most of the Adirondack Park on mine and still have room. But they are topo's, as I rarely use the aerials.

Yes, I have aerials.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have added in as many maps as the GPS will hold without buying a bigger card.

That screenshot looks very cool in 3d. :) Yes, raster imagery takes huge amounts of memory. But then, a few years ago I never would have imagined we could have all of this available on a small handheld GPS.

What kind of performance are you seeing in BaseCamp with that amount of BirdsEye loaded?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That screenshot looks very cool in 3d. :) Yes, raster imagery takes huge amounts of memory. But then, a few years ago I never would have imagined we could have all of this available on a small handheld GPS.

What kind of performance are you seeing in BaseCamp with that amount of BirdsEye loaded?

It has it's moments but for the most part it seems to be working well.

Since these are custom maps and are not the img file, can I load in your topo's or Topo 2008 also as long as I have the space? This would allow me to have a topo in the area's I don't yet have aerial's. Eventually I will have complete aerials, but until then I want to have something else.

I am beginning to understand all of this and have made a few changes to the unit settings.

I have another question but have to find what I want to ask first. Post later.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The maps do not look that good on the GPS, and if you look those maps over closely notice how some of the roads are almost not shown in the 2007 but they are there in the 2005. That is what I am interested in.

We all have our personal likes and dislikes, and the nice thing about the Oregon is that you can make your own maps to suit these. Not always easy though. :) One problem with raster imagery (like aerial photos) is that it only looks good through a limited range of zoom settings. The 1995 imagery is infra-red which I think makes the roads stand out better. Also looks like the trees have just grown bigger over the years, hiding the roads more. I don't find the 1995 imagery very compelling personally, because the detail just isn't there.

But I have just put together a Custom Map that covers most of Wharton using the 1995 aerials. Resolution is 8 feet per pixel. It appears that the resolution of the individual map tiles varies, with some around 1 meter/pixel and others are at the 11.5 ft/pixel level that I mentioned before. The choice of 8 ft per pixel was a compromise that let me cover most of Wharton within the limits of Garmin's format. The pink rectangle shows the coverage area.

1995-1.jpg

This one won't take up much memory for you - only about 27MB. Download and put it in your CustomMaps folder. You will have to remove any other custom maps from your GPS (either internal memory or a card) because Garmin only allows you to use one at a time.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/411/

Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

You did not have to do this but I really appreciate it! And I now can use the screen shot feature to show you why the 1995 aerials are much better for walking off the roads in the pines.

The top screenshot below is the 1995 aerial with the yellow lines, and the one below is the 2007. If I wanted to find the best and sometimes the only way to get to the spung I would want to trust the map. So using the 1995 aerial I can easily see that sometime before 1995 the state ran multiple firebreaks through the woods to help stop a fire from reaching the homes in Atco to the west of there. Those breaks are what I used today to get there. If I had not looked the 1995 aerials over before heading out today, I may have just pushed my way through the woods to get there, Instead, I was able to easily find the break under the red pointer along the road and travel quickly to the spung. If I was using the 1997 aerials it clearly shows I would have had no idea they were there.

503.jpg

145.jpg

There have been a few occasions when we used the 1995 aerials on a PBX hike, we arrived at a location and there was a cranberry bog where the map did not show one. The newer aerials would have eliminated that error. But for the most part things have not changed that much and the 1995 are still very viable. If you look those maps over closely, there is so much more to see on the 1995.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Wow, those firebreaks are very subtle on the map - I had to look at your screenshots twice before I saw them! Now I understand why you like these images better. Glad I was able to help! Making the map really didn't take long, maybe an hour or so when you include the download time. But documenting it with screenshots, creating a page at GPSFileDepot and uploading take a bit of time.

When you download BirdsEye images, are you using the highest quality setting?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, those firebreaks are very subtle on the map - I had to look at your screenshots twice before I saw them! Now I understand why you like these images better. Glad I was able to help! Making the map really didn't take long, maybe an hour or so when you include the download time. But documenting it with screenshots, creating a page at GPSFileDepot and uploading take a bit of time.

When you download BirdsEye images, are you using the highest quality setting?

Yes I am using the highest quality. If I dropped it down I probably could get all of the maps I wanted in the unit without a chip. I will get one today.

More roads. The 1995 on the left, then 2006, then 2007.

all.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

How do I store the maps on a chip? Do I have to make a folder and name it BirdsEye and put it on the chip? Does it read both folders? I took the chip you gave me out of my 60csx and was trying to add the maps to it.

I looked for a 16GIG today and all I saw were 8GIGS. I am thinking that I may be able to make out with an 8 because I have about a quarter of the maps I want in there and the disk image from the unit is only 1 GIG. That makes me think 8 will work.

Guy