Oregon 450 sale at REI

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
My old 276C doesn't say street names but it does give verbal turning instructions plus the visual. I use both. My big complaint with the verbal instructions is that it drawls them so slowly, like "turn...right...in...200...feet". On crowded fast moving roads you need that info quick. Need someone on that thing talking quick, like a New Yawker not someone from Alabam. Are the new units better?

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Boyd - I saw you post this on gpspassion.com:

"These days I don't use any of my Nuvi's, I am very happy with my Montana on foot as well as in the car. Now if Garmin put the Montana software on 5" panel for vehicle use, that's something I could get excited about."

That sounds like what I want too!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
can you tap on a blank spot on the map and tell it Go To and have it lead you there? Also, will any "map object" do to make a new waypoint, any bit of road or mark on the map?

If you want to perform any kind of action, like navigating to a destination, you must be able to select a spot on the map. That cannot be done on a blank spot with the new Nuvi series. You can select any part of any object, but not a blank spot.

For hiking, I really don't think you would be happy with any of the Nuvi's.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a side by side comparison: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=75226&compareProduct=233

It doesn't work quite right, since the 276 is an old product I guess - disregard the first part of the chart (starting with Antenna and going through Automotive/motorcycle friendly). But the rest of the chart might help. The Montana does have an antenna jack, an audio output jack and will speak street names with City Navigator maps.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Nice side by side comparison, Boyd. I don't understand all the screen jargon. As far as clarity and legibility and ease of viewing is the Montana screen better? The 276 screen was widely acclaimed as the best, and for a while they were saying that nothing could match it. A Garmin tech told me that they can't get them any more and there was nothing else as good. That was a few years ago. It looks like the Montana - preferably a new model with a bigger screen - would be the perfect replacement for me. I really only want it as a vehicle GPS, for on and off road use, tho the ability to take it off and use it as a hand held would be nice. But if I really wanted a hand held to use for hiking and bicycling and the like I would get one that is dedicated to that. Right now the rare times I use a GPS for that purpose I use my antique Garmin 2+ model which has no maps but can get me back to where I started and tell me how fast I'm going and how far I've gone.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Pan, I think you're on the verge of over-thinking this and I feel like we're covering the same ground over and over again. Find a store somewhere with the Montana in stock and have a look. REI should have one.

The Montana screen is transreflective - a completely different technology than your 276. Since I have never used a 276 I don't know how it compares, but can only tell you I have no problems seeing the Montana screen in the car. No problems with the 3790 screen either, although if the sun is shining directly on the screen, the Montana looks better.

If you want to use topo maps, there is no comparison. The Montana will be far superior to any Nuvi. Also, if you want to use raster imagery (scanned maps and aerial photos), none of the Nuvi's can do that.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"Pan, I think you're on the verge of over-thinking thi..."

You're right, Boyd. I do tend to do that, and I'm not even ready to get one yet. I was just in a REI store. I should have taken a look - but in stores the GPS units aren't turned on so you can see the actual screen in action, are they? I'm not too interested in seeing a cardboard cutout screen. I'm near a Best Buy now, so maybe I'll go in there and annoy them. But I think I understand now that the Montana is the one I will want to get when it comes time to replacing the one I have now. I travel a lot and use GPS constantly. I have for years. I barely even know where I am or how to find my way home without it. Duh. Years ago people didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned GPS, but now they do. Scanned maps and aerial photos is something I've never even tried yet. And lastly, what's Basemap, just the replacement for MapSource?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
REI is generally very good at letting you play with things and answer your questions. I've seen reports that they will even let you take it out into the parking lot and try. Of course, the Montana 600 only has a very crude basemap installed and no detailed maps - you have to purchase those separately. So you might ask to look at a Montana 650t because it will have the full US 100k topo's pre-loaded on it. Even inside the store, you can drag the map around, zoom in and out and play with all the menus.

I was in Best Buy last week and they had a working Nuvi 3490 in the display. I was surprised that it was actually getting a satellite fix inside. It will be the same as the 3590 but with a smaller screen. Doubt that you will find a Montana at Best Buy.

Basecamp (not "basemap") is the replacement for Mapsource, which has been discontinued. If your 276 has a USB interface, you should be able to use Basecamp as an alternative to Mapsource. Download here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

Also watch the training videos here: http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, REI will let you take their bikes outside to try them too. I've been an REI member for the longest time.

I saw Best Buy selling the Montana by googling it, but maybe it's only online.

Yes, 276C has a USB interface. Thanks for the Basecamp link. I'll try it. Is it much better than Mapsource? I never got into Mapsource very much and basically only use it for downloading and storing my CityNavigator maps. Can't download right now, nor watch that training video, because the motel that I'm at has a fairly slow wireless connection.

That satellite fix inside must be because of the "high sensitivity" (?) reception feature that I see them advertising for the new units.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
"Doubt that you will find a Montana at Best Buy."

Nah, not at the rather small one I went to. I should be by an REI shortly.

"The Montana does sound like the best for now, tho I'm still going to hang on to my 276C as long as the creaky buttons hold up"

That may be sooner rather than later. Now the buttons barely work at all when it's cold. I've had the buttons go bad on a Garmin before and returned it for repair. I could do that again too.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I saw an Orgeon at the REI today. Screen was on but the thing was bolted down and it was the model with no detailed maps on it, but the screen looked nice and bright. It is a lot bulkier than the Nuvi they had on display. I also called up Garmin to ask how much it would cost to repair the buttons on my 276. Amazingly they answered on like the first ring. That was the way they did it back in Garmin's early days, but then for years it got so bad that you'd have to wait for an hour or so for anyone to pick up. Was I just lucky or have they cleaned up their act? I think they answered right away the last time I called too.

Anyway, the man said it would cost $160 to fix. I asked about the Montana vs. the 276, but he wasn't familiar with the latter. he said that the Montana was a great machine, but what he recommended was that for less than the price of a Montana I get a Nuvi plus a hand held off road GPS, like model 76 or 78, I think. I don't know how well that would work out for me though, because I often transition from on road to off road, and I wouldn't want to have to switch machines each time I popped off the paved road.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'd say you were very lucky to get Garmin support so quickly. Happily I've never needed to call myself, but reports of 30 to 45 minute hold times are common.

My Oregon was an old model and the screen left a lot to be desired. The newer models (like the 450) have better screens, but according to reports I've seen, the Montana is still much better.

I think he was suggesting the 76 and 78 series because they are marine models and so is your 276.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I haven't looked up the specs on 76 and 78 yet, but I told him I don't use the marine aspect of my 276, and he was suggesting those for off road use to go along with a Nuvi for on road use. Does that two machine - instead of one Montana - idea make sense to you?

Maybe I only got a fast answer because I went to the marine unit section, but I was hoping Garmin finally fixed its tech support service. In their early days they were awesome. I remember once I had a Model 1 or whatever it was that malfunctioned. Called tech support. Guy answered first ring as usual. He said, don't worry about it, I'll just send you a brand new one. Shall I return the old one? Nah, forgedaboudit. So I had two.

Garmin sends me updates for all their gadgets. This morning I got a "beta" update for the Montana. What, are they still on Beta? Here, I'll show you:

Garmin | Software Updates

Montana 3.93 Beta (March 5, 2012)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Does that two machine - instead of one Montana - idea make sense to you?

What makes sense to you and what makes sense to me are clearly not the same thing. If you just re-read what I've posted, you'll see what makes sense to me. Only you can decide what makes sense to you.

The 76 and 78 are poor choices unless you're on the water. They are bulkier in order to make them float. The 76csx is an old model which is the same as the 60csx in a different case. The 78s would be very similar to the 62s in a different case.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I guess the Montana is the way go for me.

You need to buy an auto mount separately, huh? Does it pop in and out of the auto mount very easily? I understand all the new models do. My 276 does not.

The sales guys said that I can return it any time if I don't like it. REI's return policy seems to change. Used to be it was pretty much unlimited for life, tho I don't know about electronics. A year ago I brought back a knife I bought there that broke and the return desk said, no, we no longer guarantee stuff forever, but we;ll give you a replacement knife just this one time. I asked the assistant manager about that yesterday. She said they went back to their original policy guaranteeing their stuff forever, but, no, it's not in writing.

I also noticed the sign up front - 5% of your purchase price back in dividends. It used to be 10%.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The auto mount works very well - you can easily snap the unit in and out with one hand. It engages the row of contact points along the edge of the Montana and also includes a speaker so you will get voice prompts with City Navigator.

There's a menu option that can be used to automatically activate a profile or script whenever the unit is inserted or removed from the mount. Cool idea, but many people have reported issues with crashes when removing from the mount. Supposedly it has been fixed in the new firmware, but I don't use this feature myself, so it's never been a problem for me.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Is there just one auto mount that's best? I've got a mount screwed into my dash board for my 276 - 2 parts + rubber ball to grip. I don't suppose I could get a top part adapter for it to fit the Montana...

What else do you need to buy along with the Montana? Guess I'll need to buy the City Select subscription again (or whatever they're calling the road maps these days), and the mount...

Any suggestions on the best place to buy it?

Do you use a screen protector?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There are two versions of the auto mount, the cradle is the same but the bases are different. The base has the same size ball as the Nuvi series - it is hard plastic and not rubber. No idea what your 276 uses.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=89574
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=97692

You will need to purchase City Navigator maps. It's not a "subscription", it's a one-time purchase. The cheapest version is the "lower 49" which doesn't include Alaska or Canada. You can buy on pre-loaded cards, DVD or by download. The download and card versions are not upgradable, so if you want a new map you would have to purchase a new download or card.

The DVD version is eligible for updates - either one time or lifetime. These would have to be purchased separately.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do...ES_CITYNAVIGATORNT,FILTER_REGION_NORTHAMERICA

I don't use a screen protector, and if you do BE CAREFUL as you could damage the screen. I'd suggest you buy Garmin's own brand if you want them, so they can't claim you damaged your unit with another product if there's a problem.

No real suggestion for where to purchase, just be certain that you understand the vendors policy on returns and exchanges.

You might wait until you get the Montana before purchasing all the other stuff, because Garmin will give you a 10% discount code for one item when you register. So you could apply that to the most expensive accessory, maybe the map.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Thanks, Boyd. I'm still uncertain what to do. I was reading a little more GPS forums and specs. I've used the Garmin 176/276 pattern daily for years now and I'm used to it. I'm still looking into the Garmin tech's idea that I buy two, a Nuvi and an off road (but not the 76/78 that he mentioned). You do seem to get a lot more for your money with the Nuvis, and they seem better for driving, than the Montana (or my 276).

The touch screens without screen protector - do they get scratched up and more opaque with use?