Oregon 450 sale at REI

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Some food for thought about Amazon- I had a package that was either stolen or delivered to the wrong address by accident and after an email to Amazon, they replaced my order no questions asked. When I went to the post office to question the delivery I was given a form to fill out and was told off the record, that more than likely wouldn't be reimbursed for my loss.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Some food for thought about Amazon- I had a package that was either stolen or delivered to the wrong address by accident and after an email to Amazon, they replaced my order no questions asked. When I went to the post office to question the delivery I was given a form to fill out and was told off the record, that more than likely wouldn't be reimbursed for my loss.

What loss, if Amazon replaced the order?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think his point was that another vendor might not have been so responsive, and that the Post Office would not have covered the loss either. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used mine today to look for an R&W stone and the pointer is just as unresponsive as before when really trying to narrow a location down. That must just be the way it always will be.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think his point was that another vendor might not have been so responsive, and that the Post Office would not have covered the loss either. :)

Thanks but, no. The way it was written, it sounded like he was trying to double-dip, but it made no sense. :confused:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I updated. I noticed that when you choose "Whereto" the list now has "Waypoints" at the top. It was the second choice.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm wondering, does the order of the list change based on what you most recently searched for? In other words, if you pressed Where To > Waypoints, would Waypoints be at the top of the list the next time? I think that's what my Montana does, now that you mention it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I only choose Waypoints and mine has been number 2 since I got it. That is until now.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Now this is funny :D

215571_330647799978_12244654978_1295038_7468481_n.jpg

Ha! For sure. We need more signs like that. I've run into a lot of those.

Still looking at what's available for possible future replacement of my venerable Garmin 276C, mainly for road use, but also for off road driving of the NJPB sort, but these days out west in Arizona, etc.

New Garmin Nuvi 3500 series, Garmin Montana, Garmin Oregon...Any advice?

The new ones only seem to hold 1,000 waypoints. The 276c holds 4,000, but I only have 651.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The Montana can store 4,000 waypoints, Oregon is 2,000, Nuvi 3400 and 3500 series only hold 1,000. I think the reason the handheld devices hold so many waypoints is for the geocaching functions.

Guy's daughter recently got a Nuvi 3490, which is the same as the 3500 series with a smaller screen. I have a Nuvi 3790 which is the previous generation. Reports are that the 5" screen on the 3500 series is beautiful, but after playing with the 3400 series, I didn't care for it. There are a lot of oddities: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23837

If you want to use the unit only on the highways, the nuvi has features such as traffic and junction view that none of the outdoor products have. The 3400/3500 series can also be linked to an Android smartphone for connected services. For handheld use they are limited. Not waterproof or shockproof, very limited battery life. Not enough control over the appearance of the map.

Personally, I use my Montana 600 for everything now and still really like it. For use in the car you would have to add the auto cradle and City Navigator maps, so it isn't cheap. It has many of the Nuvi features like lane assist, speed limit display and spoken directions. But it really shines for advanced features, some of which aren't available on any other Garmin product.

I think you need to find a store that sells different models and play around with them, since descriptions and pictures only go so far.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Thanks for the good info , Boyd. That's an excellent discussion forum link.

" Reports are that the 5" screen on the 3500 series is beautiful"

Last night I was reading on some other forum people complaining that the 5" screen is bigger but blurrier, having the same number of pixels or whatever as the smaller screen.

The Montana does sound like the best for now, tho I'm still going to hang on to my 276C as long as the creaky buttons hold up. I see that, even tho discontinued and superseded, they are selling for $600+ online. They're quite versatile, but I know that all the new ones have a lot more fancy features.

How does the Montana screen compare with the new Nuvis for road use?

On the Nuvis, do you know the answer to this question? - Say you're out in the middle of the PB and you find an interesting spot that you want to save as a waypoint so that you can find it again. Can you do so on the Nuvis? Can you do so if there is no mapped road there?

GPS sure has gotten a lot better - and a lot more complicated - since the days of the Garmin 2, replete with deliberate disaccuracy scrambling and no maps at all:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=50

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I like those old Garmin models, I even thought about getting a 276 but the proprietary memory cards are a deal breaker for me. Some Nuvi 3500 discussion here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143857

I have never seen one, but 800x480 pixels on a 5" screen is a very reasonable resolution IMO. If anything, you might argue that it's too many pixels on a 4.3" screen that will be viewed at a distance. Some objects on the map don't scale so well on the 3790 for example - lines can be too thin and bitmapped textures too fine. This would mainly be an issue with more specialized maps like topo's though.

The Montana screen looks great to me under all conditions. A transreflective screen is a totally different beast from the LCD panels in the Nuvi. Generally the Nuvi's are good in bright conditions, but the 3700/3400/3500 are glass screens like an iPhone. My 3790 is the brightest, most vivid screen I've seen on a Nuvi and I'd expect similar from the 3500 but don't really know.

But a transreflective scren actually gets brighter in direct sun, and can be viewed with no backlight. The nuvi's need the backlight on or you don't see anything. This is why they suck down the battery so quickly, especially outside in the sun. I took this picture awhile ago in direct sun. Nuvi 3790 is on the right. Hard to tell here, but the Montana screen looked very bright and readable while the Nuvi was harder to read. The 60csx always wins this kind of contest since the low resolution screen is very reflective.

bak1.jpg

On the new Nuvi's, you can always save a waypoint if you're actually there. But if you're just dragging the map around on screen and "exploring", you can only select a map object, like a road, lake, river, etc. If you tap a blank spot on the map, nothing happens. You cannot create a waypoint like this unless you can select the location. You could create waypoints in advance in Basecamp or Mapsource, then send them to the Nuvi though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy's daughter recently got a Nuvi 3490, which is the same as the 3500 series with a smaller screen.

I took a ride with her right after she purchased it and it has some really nice features. All she does is talk to it and it does whatever she tells it to do. Using bluetooth her phone works with it so she can talk and drive at the same time. Sweet! And depending on the phone you have it will also give a message to the texter telling them she is driving and can't text. That does not work with her phone for some reason.

However, I have some serious issues with it. It is a visual GPS and uses street names and the screen to tell you where to go. So when you are coming up to an intersection where you have to turn, it gives you a pretty decent audio warning but then it lets you down. It will not tell you when to turn. My TomTom will warn you and then right when you should turn it tells you to turn. With the Nuvi 3490 we went right past our turn on two occasions. I had the unit in my hand looking at it and we went past them! I was expecting an audio warning and it never came. If you are someone who does not like to look at the unit and prefers audio warnings, don't buy the Nuvi 3490.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I don't like machines that talk, so I keep all my GPS'es on mute. Usually the Nuvi will say something like "In 200 feet, turn right on Main St". Doesn't it do that, with a couple warnings that also say how far it is to the turn?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't like machines that talk, so I keep all my GPS'es on mute. Usually the Nuvi will say something like "In 200 feet, turn right on Main St". Doesn't it do that, with a couple warnings that also say how far it is to the turn?

It does tell you in so many feet to turn. But if there are multiple places to turn in that area it will not tell you again exactly when to turn when you get to the intersection. The TomTom will tell you your turn is coming up, and when you actually get to the proper turn it will say basically Turn Now.

We were both surprised when we went past the intersections. That does not happen with my TomTom.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I like those old Garmin models, I even thought about getting a 276 but the proprietary memory cards are a deal breaker for me.

I hear ya on that. Good thing they got rid of those nasty things. There are plenty of other drawbacks with it too compared to the newer units - much harder to get in and out of the vehicle, complicated, doesn't say street names, backlight usually must be on (the older black and white 176 was much better in this one respect), and many of the new features are missing - but it is extremely versatile, and built for land and sea.

On the new Nuvi's, you can always save a waypoint if you're actually there. But if you're just dragging the map around on screen and "exploring", you can only select a map object, like a road, lake, river, etc. If you tap a blank spot on the map, nothing happens. You cannot create a waypoint like this unless you can select the location. You could create waypoints in advance in Basecamp or Mapsource, then send them to the Nuvi though.

OK, you can't create a waypoint by tapping on a blank spot, but can you tap on a blank spot on the map and tell it Go To and have it lead you there? Also, will any "map object" do to make a new waypoint, any bit of road or mark on the map? I'm talking about the Nuvi road units.