Oregon 450 sale at REI

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Here's an interesting link that I'll have to look at. He seems to touch upon the subject of using the Nuvi off road, which is my big question about it - whether I'll be able to find my favorite dirt road unmarked locations. Looks like plenty of other interesting stuff in here too.

Garmin GPS
Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is worth every penny just for the aerial map feature.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Garmin is also having a sale online. Not sure they will beat retailer GPS prices though, but maybe for the maps & accessories.

"We’re so excited about our Black Friday deals, we’re releasing them nearly 2 days early!
Starting at 5 p.m. CST Wednesday, save up to 50% at Garmin.com on select GPS products, maps and accessories."

http://sites.garmin.com/holiday/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks for the link. The only handheld seems to be the eTrex 20 for $200. Not much of a deal - Amazon's regular price is $168. Not many bargains there... I like the 4GB micro SD card for $16.00.... Best Buy sells them for $4.

It mentions maps but I don't see any listed there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks for the link. The only handheld seems to be the eTrex 20 for $200. Not much of a deal - Amazon's regular price is $168. Not many bargains there... I like the 4GB micro SD card for $16.00.... Best Buy sells them for $4.

It mentions maps but I don't see any listed there.

The sale begins on Wednesday; the link is where you can sign up to get notified, along with stuff they are pushing as gifts.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Instead of starting a new thread for a question about the 450, I will ask it here.

Is it considered a problem when the Oregon 450 stops making tracks for a short segment? Twice I have lost a section of one of my tracks while I was hiking. Zooming in or out didn't recover the missing section and the setting is at "most often" for the interval. Is it just a glitch with the system?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My guess would be that you probably lost satellite reception for a short period of time. If you want the most accurate tracks, set it for time with an interval of 1 second. That is the same rate at which the GPS chip provides a position update, so you will get everything this way. But you will reach the 10,000 point limit in 167 minutes though.

Does the Oregon have a track setting to automatically archive when full? Can't remember, I know the Montana has this.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Instead of starting a new thread for a question about the 450, I will ask it here.

Is it considered a problem when the Oregon 450 stops making tracks for a short segment? Twice I have lost a section of one of my tracks while I was hiking. Zooming in or out didn't recover the missing section and the setting is at "most often" for the interval. Is it just a glitch with the system?

Do you have the latest updates? Their were some problems early on, but from what I read, they have been resolved thru the updates. One that I recall is it stops recording the tracklog if you are moving slowly, but I very rarely use the tracklog feature.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Does the Oregon have a track setting to automatically archive when full?

Yes, the Oregon 450 has the option of auto archive when full. I had the default interval time for recording set at thirty seconds. I changed the setting to one second as you recommended. I may tweek the setting later to an interval that better suits my average time for a hike. I could always change to a longer interval when I know I will be on a longer outing. Thanks Boyd.

Do you have the latest updates?

46er, I haven't updated the unit. I normally don't update any software unless there is a newer feature that I will use. My frame of mind is if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Funny thing, both times the track was lost was in the open at Parker Preserve, while I was crossing the open bogs. Go figure. I will look into the newest update and see what new changes are, but first I will give Boyd's tip a try before I do that. Thank you gentlemen.;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
REI has the Oregon 450t (more memory than the 450 plus pre-loaded US topo 100k map) for $200 as part of their Anniversary Sale, May 17-27. I think this is the best price I've seen on the 450t.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
What, if any, advantages does the Oregon or Montana have over the latest Nuvis if you're only going to use it in a vehicle, including a vehicle driven off paved roads, like in the Pine Barrens or the Sonoran desert for instance?

Meanwhile my Garmin 276C is still chugging along.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was expecting to hear from you. Whenever I post about an Oregon sale, you ask the same question. ;)

The Oregon 450 is a poor choice for a vehicle. Screen is small and not terribly bright.

Montana screen is bigger, brighter and works in both landscape and portrait orientation. Many advanced features to customize every aspect of its operation. Properly displays topo maps, which the Nuvi really doesn't. Can use satellite imagery and scanned USGS topo maps (Nuvi can't).

The new Oregon 600 series borrows many features from the Montana, but screen is smaller.

A new Android based "connected" version of the Montana - the Monterra - has been predicted for June.