ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Closer to the rec areas and Philly, Cherry Hill, Marlton and Medford than the others. Plus its a catchy name "Adventure" rather than "Rental" or "Paddle Sports"Just a guess.

They are also conveniently closer to the rec area, cabins & campgrounds around Atsion.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Not suggesting they would benefit more then any other business that offers the same services. People will be more inclined to use a canoe service if everyone is launching from the same few spots - "why deal with the headache parking at the launch, lugging the boat, etc. if we are going where they are any how?" Additionally, any good business should look to capitalize on an opportunity to drive more business. If I were in the canoe business I would I would certainly be looking into offering service where customers pay to have their boats boats dragged down to the old launch spots. Will everyone start suddenly using a canoe service - absolutely not, but some certainly will. I've got to think that the guided tours part of the business will see some benefit too, even if it's nothing more than not having a jeep drive by a tour group occasionally.

Please understand I'm not suggesting that the MAP was designed to benefit a business, nor should it be a main point in the fight against the MAP - we already have a much more complling argument. But at the same time there should be some upside to the business and that shouldn't be denied.

This argument is asinine and needs to be dropped. It makes us look bad.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
This argument is asinine and needs to be dropped. It makes us look bad.

It's not asinine - it's business and it's real. And as I said:
Please understand I'm not suggesting that the MAP was designed to benefit a business, nor should it be a main point in the fight against the MAP - we already have a much more complling argument. But at the same time there should be some upside to the business and that shouldn't be denied.

Beyond that we can agree to disagree. Now let's get back to our regularly scheduled program and not let a side issue cause a problem.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Well, because in the case of Double Trouble, the state will not allow us to.

That's true of Double Trouble, but not for any of the "authorized" access points in Wharton. The idea that it will be somehow impractical to personally launch a boat at Atsion, Constable Bridge, Pleasant Mills, Oswego Lake, Harrisville, Evan's Bridge, Tulpehocken Bridge, etc. is an idea that is not supported by reason or evidence.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Finally got a response from rep mazzeo and sen whelan. My take away is they have already been prepped by the ppa and are atleast ok with the map, if not supportive. Very diassapointing...

Thank you for contacting my office regarding recent changes made to
Wharton State Forest. I am cognizant of your concerns about Wharton's
new Motorized Access Plan (MAP), as well as its adoption without public
input. Wharton should be as accessible as possible to hikers, fishers,
and outdoor enthusiasts who want to experience its pristine environment.

My staff has had discussions with officials at both Wharton State Forest
and the Pinelands Preservation Alliance (PPA) about the new MAP. As you
may know, for almost a decade Wharton had no means of enforcing its 2003
MAP, which is nearly identical to the one recently adopted. The
substantial damage by illegal off-road vehicles has inadvertently
created new "roads" that law-abiding motorists mistake for official
roads that are part of the MAP.

I have sent a letter to Superintendent Auermeller requesting that he
consider a public hearing regarding the changes that are being made. A
hearing would give the public a chance to learn more about why the MAP
has been put in place and give Wharton State Forest officials an
opportunity to hear from outdoor enthusiasts like you. Concerns from the
public should be given proper consideration after the hearing is held.

Thank you for taking the time to express your views on this issue. We
hope we can find a balance between protecting the wildlife of Wharton
State Forest and allowing citizens to enjoy the beautiful forest. Please
feel free to contact our office with any other questions or concerns you
may have.

Regards,

Senator Jim Whelan
&
Assemblyman Vince Mazzeo

This road closure deal is like the Iran nuke deal, 80% of the people don't want it but we're getting it anyway. And with the blessing of the people we elected to look after our interest.

I say VOTE'EM OUT!

Reactions: Wreckless

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This road closure deal is like the Iran nuke deal, 80% of the people don't want it but we're getting it anyway. And with the blessing of the people we elected to look after our interest.

I say VOTE'EM OUT!

I can predict the future and there will be a thread here dedicated to doing just that.

Guy

Reactions: enormiss

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
These signs have been up for some time along the road that parallels the tracks near Atsion. The Batsto Natural Area has been posted.

12.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

The next meeting will be.

Monday 9/14 in Bass River at 3 North Maple Avenue, Bass River, N.J. at 7PM Their website says NOT to use New Gretna if you are using a GPS.

Tuesday 9/15 in Southampton at 7:30PM. Located at 5 Retreat Road, Southampton, NJ 08088

If anyone sees an error in my information let us know.

Guy

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
So, does this mean that there is no enforcement since the MAP is now considered a draft and there is no map available for the public?

That's how I read it :) I also wrote the state and received a letter from someone well known in all of this that contains this quote " I regret this misinformation has given the impression that this plan has already been adopted and implemented. It has not"

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So, does this mean that there is no enforcement since the MAP is now considered a draft and there is no map available for the public?

That's how I read it :) I also wrote the state and received a letter from someone well known in all of this that contains this quote " I regret this misinformation has given the impression that this plan has already been adopted and implemented. It has not"

Perhaps there will be a group of volunteers that will remove all those signs and dead trees littering the forest ;)