ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
I have been reading this thread for weeks and I cant hold it in anymore after reading the article in the Press today. I am so tired of seeing Armeuller point out the same old picture of the ruination of Mount Jemima. Yes, I admit that is horrific damage and no one here would argue that an area such as that should be closed off. However, this and a few other places are reused over and over to give people the false impression that the entire Pine Barrens area is being turned into a tossed salad by motorized vehicle use. Truthfully many of the "main" roads which had larger puddles that kept growing were never fixed to the point that normal traffic could not get through. Eventually they become so damaged they require major work and money to repair. Then the blame, it must be from and ORV or motorcycle... It appears that the complete lack of small routine maintenance is a major contributor rather than abuse by law abiding motorists who want to enjoy the forest. I sure wish there was a way to illustrate that you can drive on hundreds of miles of trail and very rarely witness destruction. Most of the roads on the MAP designated to be closed are in pristine condition and that point is never brought up to the public either. It's easy for Armeuller to show destruction, BUT proving this is a very small area just doesn't seem possible for us by showing a few pictures ? Also if they call some of the 10 mile repairs done on High Crossing Road near Carranza improvement... it isn't - they created a gravel superhighway and made that area alien to the sand roads that belong in and characterize the pines. To me that is true destruction of the Pine Barrens - Is this the future for the largest MAP approved roads ? I hope not.
Yes they do keep reusing the photos of Jemima Mount and Quarter Mile insinuating that it is occurring like that everywhere. And again they are referring to all opposition as the "ORV community".

I have a question for everyone. I understand that both Jemima Mount and Quarter Mile has been closed to motor vehicles of some time now. Can anyone tell me how long access to these two locations has been denied?

In his most recent video, Armeuller is seen standing in the ruts on Jemima Mt. explaining that damage like this is why they needed to implement the MAP. He failed to mention that Jemima, like Quarter Mile has in fact been closed for years, but they have been unable or unwilling to enforce it. I find it terribly ironic that their two best examples why they need to implement the MAP, are actually great examples of their failure to enforce their own pre existing closures.

"Sooo this time, despite our inability to enforce two of the most badly damaged areas, as solution to resolve this problem, we've decided to close all these other roads that have no damage." It is just not logical.

I am sure that many you, like myself want very much to rid our forest of these knuckleheads that tear up our woods. I am afraid however, that the designers of the MAP may have ulterior motives. This focus on ORV damage makes a good excuse for advancing their actual agenda.

Last edited:

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
This is how well the sings stop someone from using a closed road. IMG_2145.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2147.JPG

Reactions: Ben Ruset

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
So yes they are restricted to the same roads as we are, but we are restricted to the same canoe launches they are, possibly no more private launching from your favorite spot.

And that is my point!

Additionally, I don't want to suggest the PPA pushed the MAP solely with PA in mind, but at the same time one can not deny the business could benefit from restricting access.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The canoe access at white bridge over Cedar Creek in Double Trouble state park was closed to pvt vehicles for loading/unloading back in March even though no damage had been done there. This is a heavily used creek. The state has not yet adjusted their canoe access map so folks still show up there. Recently there has been an occupied canine park police suv blocking the road all day. So now folks extend their trip to the bridge on Western blvd and create a traffic hazard with parked vehicles on the shoulder.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...uble_Trouble_Cedar_Creek_Access_Locations.pdf

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
How? And why would PA benefit more so than, say, Mick's or Bel Haven canoe rental?

Not suggesting they would benefit more then any other business that offers the same services. People will be more inclined to use a canoe service if everyone is launching from the same few spots - "why deal with the headache parking at the launch, lugging the boat, etc. if we are going where they are any how?" Additionally, any good business should look to capitalize on an opportunity to drive more business. If I were in the canoe business I would I would certainly be looking into offering service where customers pay to have their boats boats dragged down to the old launch spots. Will everyone start suddenly using a canoe service - absolutely not, but some certainly will. I've got to think that the guided tours part of the business will see some benefit too, even if it's nothing more than not having a jeep drive by a tour group occasionally.

Please understand I'm not suggesting that the MAP was designed to benefit a business, nor should it be a main point in the fight against the MAP - we already have a much more complling argument. But at the same time there should be some upside to the business and that shouldn't be denied.