ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, I remember that John. I wasn't trying to stir this up again, I was just annoyed at how inaccurate the map is.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lets not let this go any further in regards to where we can and can't go. We can go anywhere we want to go on roads except where the signs say No Motor Vehicles.

Reactions: Boyd and 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just to cross some i's and dot some t's, there is no official '1997 topo map' published by the USGS for the Wharton area; it does not exist. :worms:

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I hear you Ed. Unfortunately it's the most accurate currently available. That is besides Boyd's;)
I wish I had a better answer.

Is there a map marked with where those signs are?

Didn't one get published after the second coming of the signs, the official official ones, after the meetings? I have a map that was part of the presentation, see link, from the stakeholder meeting that shows the location of the signs. Is this what is now referred to as the '1997 topo'

http://www.nj.gov/dep/workgroups/docs/wharton20160322-pres.pdf

Last edited:

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
The 1997 topo covers atsion hammonton area of wharton tract after that the usgs had cut backs to save money. they used less ink and some of the original roads that were mapped on 1997 topo were not added to the 2014 usgs topo maps.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The USGS went digital in 2009 when they started the "US Topo" project. At this time they abandoned the old style maps. So the 2014 topo maps are a completely different animal… :)

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I do not like the new topos at all.They are aerials with topos laid over them. I like the old maps like on Libre.They have much more info then is visible on the new ones.Benchmarks,houses weather obscured by trees or not.I would rather flip back and forth between topo and aerial and have all the info then try to weld them together and lose half of the info.. It must be cheaper to throw a contour line overlay over an aerial then it is to update the topo maps. I spent two years in Earth Science Corps updating the Dividing Creek Quadrangle for them to do this?Hell, I did it for free and so was everyone else in the project.The least they could do was to pay someone to actually take the data and update the maps with it.I"m sure someone with the know how would have done that for free as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd