ORVs

B

bach2yoga

Wasn't sure where to post this...
does anyone have the official dep link as to the orv policy, and info regarding registration requirements?
Renee

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
ORV's

I just found your post and I have some info for you.
Here is a link to NJDMV's ATV information page.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/atv/atv.htm
I have a quad and two motorcycles and this is by far the most restrictive state for operating off road vehicles.
I have investigated this before when I bought my quad and when you see how ridiculous the rules are you will wonder why we still live here.
First, the DMV will take your money to register an ATV (once you have it insured) and the registration entitles you to cross a public road when going between two private pieces of land. No ATV"s are permitted in state parks or forests.
Only street legal registered and insured motorcycles are permitted in state parks and forests.
Most enduro type bikes are not street legal but DMV agents will allow you to register them as long as your title isn't stamped "not for highway use" as my two motorcycles are.
The Parks and Forestry people play cat and mouse all year with us and seem to be getting a lot more agressive. They flatbedded a truck load of quads out of Waterford this past Sunday.
Pennsylvania makes provisions in their state forests for ATV's and the Allegheney National Forest in western Pa. has a great ATV trail system.
NJDEP is supposed to be coming up with a list of potential sites for ATV use per a directive from commissioner Campbell but I heard that is going nowhere.
Scott

B

bach2yoga

Scott,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, ATVs really do screw up a lot of rare plant populations, as many riders haven't the first clue what is rare and don't care anyway. They really do a lot of damage and have decimated certain plant populations. OTOH, there are other plants that require a little (not a lot) of disturbance, so an occasional tire or two maintains its habitat. Strange, huh? I am aware of one property that is owned by a well known group that gets an occasional ATV, and the group doesn't get all up in arms on THIS PARTICULAR property (tho they would on their other properties) because it actually keeps the trails clear for them. On the whole, though, they are problematic--the fragmentation and noise through habitats of animals of Pine Snakes and Timber Rattlers, and the plants of course. So it's really quite a mixed bag.

But, ATVs are fun for a lot of people, so rather than just saying "stay out" we REALLY need to have ample trails and parks set up for the many people who do enjoy that recreation,then there is no reason for them to be where they don't belong.

Just my opinion.
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Renee, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately the only LEGAL plublic area for riding ATV's is the park in Chatsworth. Doesn't help out those who live in North or extreme South Jersey. :(

As Scott said, don't hold your breath on that 2005 deadline. Once again, Brad Campbell lies and gets away with it. I really wish we would get a DEP commissioner who would listen to the needs of EVERYBODY instead of the $$$ given by the special interest groups.

I've written him several letters and all I've got back were canned replies stating how he is working to "save" the environment from ATV's. Not once has he ever responded to my questions on his policy or the plan to open up two parks by 2005.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Renee, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately the only LEGAL plublic area for riding ATV's is the park in Chatsworth. Doesn't help out those who live in North or extreme South Jersey. :(

I know. We do need more.
There is an area near Amatol that is open to the public for ATV's--I think it is city or county owned, I'm not sure. There are a few other places that aren't state owned, but they aren't highly publicized.
We definitely need more areas -- it would make everyone happy -- those who want to ride, and those of us who want them away from areas that are open to too much damage.
Renee