Paddle to Oak Island (I think)

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
002.JPG I saw this at the Rutgers Ag Museum today.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
You are a biologist as in a Batchelors degree holding biologist?What type of Biology?
This is the type of crap that aggravates me,nothing against biologists but it seems that in a few years holding an accredited college degree will be the only thing that will allow you to access most of our public land.I guess holders of degrees must weigh less then the rest of us and they don't make footprints or squish ants the rest of us inadvertently do.I feel like an alien on my own planet.
Retired biologist! MS - Rutgers University. I worked 33 years for the US EPA. They did not condition my getting the permit on that basis; HOWEVER, to get a special use permit they want you to have a purpose for going in there. Photography in itself may be good enough. I plan to throw the biologist part in to add some weight to the justification hopefully. I have nothing against creationists either.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Here's what the application looks like (pdf). Note the space for assistants - maybe a photographer, one that could do panos might be nice if he/she isn't too old/big to paddle anymore. A historian could be beneficial too.........um...........PBX?

Attachments

• Forsythe application.pdf
    320.4 KB · Views: 383

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Believe me if I was a biologist I would be throwing some weight around too.
So tell me,did you make it far enough up the island past the rake to see the three monuments along the ridge top?Ooops ,I guess i shouldn't have known they were there:oops:

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Believe me if I was a biologist I would be throwing some weight around too.
So tell me,did you make it far enough up the island past the rake to see the three monuments along the ridge top?Ooops ,I guess i shouldn't have known they were there:oops:
No, but I know where they are - next time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The bridges are out on that road. The only access now is by watercraft.

Guy

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
I submitted the completed special use permit application about two weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. I'm going to call them tomorrow for a status report. Access by kayak is very easy. I know about the dirt trail in, but as Guy says, at least one of the bridges is out. I don't know whether you could get across with waders on but all the waterways I saw had a lot of muck on the bottom which causes you to sink down in it.

Reactions: pineywoman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can't get across the first one on foot. A boat can go down that waterway. It is deep. Don't waste your time.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My Hornbeck is perfect for situations like this. :) Makes the use of Oak Island Rd doable with just the 2 spots to use the canoe as the bridges are unusable.

Reactions: pineywoman

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Just to let folks know......I did get my special use permit application approved to visit Oak Island. Got to get in there soon - going to Hawaii 10/22.
Pineywoman, you have to check out the Edwin Forsythe visitor center in Oceanville. They have an 8 mile drive around (ideal for you and the rug rat), and lots of good hiking trails.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice. November seems like a good month :) Yea, try November.

Guy