PBX Trip to Howardsville

Oct 25, 2006
howardsville pbx

:) howardsville was our second plan of attack if the way to the frm was too bad,we got to the clear lake last time,walked the trail,but stopped there,as it was getting late,little concerned of the truck coming out of it back to howardsville road,talk about scrape city,a new truck they had,brand new toyota pickup,there goes the paintjob.jimbo

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i thought the gun clubs were at work till i seen all the way cool stickers on the vehicles. i drove by around 11 am. didnt see anyone so i kept on driving to my hunting spots. nice to see the group out there!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have seen them before and find them very interesting. I was wondering how they would "feel" hiking long distances. What is "tin" cloth?

Tin cloth is Filson's an extremely tightly woven cotton that is waxed.
Carharrts are coarse woven and catch on everything, which leads to tears.
I still wear Carharrts for work to cut the wind but Filsons for brush.
The double tin pants are very stiff and not something you want to wear on a normal hike. However, if you know you are going into hell, you would want to have them on.
The pants are not washable and gain character with age but never get soft.
Their old sales book used to say that the pants will be standing in the corner waiting for you in the morning.
I have their double tin coat and their double tin vest which I wore on the last hike.
You could take a load of 4 buck with the vest and walk away.
All of their stuff is very expensive. I have their 26 oz./s.y. wool stuff for deer hunting which is very $$$ but you can't find anything like it anymore.
If you want keep your business in the pines, H.G.Marshall on Green Street in Tuckerton is a dealer. Otherwise, its Harrys in Robbinsville or internet.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I had a great time on this hike. I wasn't as sore the next day as I thought I would be. Even though we were close to two major roadways some of those spots had a great remoteness to them. The final rest stop in that clearing was my favorite spot. Thanks for including me in the PBX. I hope to get out there again with you real soon. Two things I will try to remember are shades for facial protection from the briars and knee boots. On a colder day I would of been in trouble because I did take on water in my boots just a little.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad you enjoyed yourself Tom. I hope to see you again.

I have found that knee boots are the best where we go. Buy the ones I have or better and you will be fine.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, I swear by sunglasses as a means of protecting your eyes in the heavy stuff. My sunglasses broke for the last 1/4 of the hike and boy did I feel protective of my eyes. I'm surprised you other guys don't wear glasses. Think about how bad it would be hiking back without an eye....that would suck!

Jeff