Perpetual Pine Barren Safari

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The other thread where you guys are discussing vehicles has me thinking, and I really was thinking about it today anyway. Now that I am officially divorced, I am looking ahead to what my retirement days will look like. I won't have a lot of money for travel, and will be living in a box in a Whiting retirement community (I am not planning on leaving the state). I'll use that little Whiting house as a base camp, buy a great camping/exploring truck and waste my summer days exploring all the areas of the pines.

Perhaps something like this:

http://www.volcanos.ms/images/Mexic...amp-Playa-Punta-Chivato-Sanddune-closeup1.gif

Or better yet, like this, but scaled down a bit:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uck&start=160&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

Perhaps if I have enuff money, I can do the southwest in the winter months of Jan/Feb and come back to the pines later.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
do you think if you were camping on top of your truck you would get in trouble for illegaly camping, your pretty much on your own property but your trucks on state property, stupid question, I am sure it would be illegal, but cool. four wheeler mag has a truck called the turtle that is used for long mileage expoditions in remote areas in the world, its a real nice set up. I would love to spend my retirement years in the pines and never leave. when I first got into my trade I always had jan. and feb. off from work and all I did was spend almost every day in the pines, it was awesome.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hewey said:
do you think if you were camping on top of your truck you would get in trouble for illegaly camping, your pretty much on your own property but your trucks on state property, stupid question, I am sure it would be illegal, but cool. four wheeler mag has a truck called the turtle that is used for long mileage expoditions in remote areas in the world, its a real nice set up. I would love to spend my retirement years in the pines and never leave. when I first got into my trade I always had jan. and feb. off from work and all I did was spend almost every day in the pines, it was awesome.

I was thinking about that. I know areas in the pines that are usually never patrolled. I could even work a few days in the winter at some of the commercial campgrounds in exchange for free summer parking maybe? Or, come home most nights.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
If it were me I'd go for something as compact as possible such as a Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Compact Pickup, or something of that nature. To me a fullsize or an SUV is just too unwieldy in most areas of the pines save for the widest roads. If you're going to be by yourself I'm sure you'd have room for more than enough gear. I'd definitely invest in a winch and plenty of self recovery equipment though if you're going to be doing a lot of traveling alone.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Badfish740 said:
I'd definitely invest in a winch and plenty of self recovery equipment though if you're going to be doing a lot of traveling alone.

Damn! Now you got me thinking about women again. Did you mean winch or wench? They are a type of "recovery" equipment, right?