Pickin Blueberries

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So what would be your First choice In Pies?

Dependingon the pie, first choice would be a really small garden center/seafood/market place on RT 9 in Parkertown, corner of Dock Street. Can't remember the name. Then it would be Emery's, again depending on the pie. Pie crust is definitely the first one. Emery's can get very crowded, especially around the holidays.

But in the end, it's all good :D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to pick blackberries in the game reserve a lot.The state plants blackberries as a ground cover and food source in their fields down here and leaves them for a number of years before plowing them under and replanting something else,usually sorgum.Problem is keeping up on the good locations since you can never count on the same field having them the next year you always have to keep up on it.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I used to pick with my kids at Peppers in Chatsworth when the father ran the farm, but I believe the son doesn't have pick your own. I've seen signs on RT 532 and 542 but don't remember the farm names. I make my own blueberry preserves, but have bought them at a local farm market the last few years rather than pick my own (getting lazy in my later years).
Greg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Soon, very soon :dance:

Nice crop this year, if the birds don't them.

144156834.jpg

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
"Blueberry Brewing," a how-to course on brewing beer from blueberries, will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 21.
The blueberry picking will be led by Russell Juelg, Land Steward and Pine Barrens Educator for New Jersey Conservation Foundation. The cost of the outing is $5 for adults, free for children; advance registration is required. Participants should bring containers for blueberries and plenty of water, and wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and hats.
The "Brewing Blueberries" workshop will be led by Juelg and Chris Jage, the assistant director of New Jersey Conservation Foundation for southern New Jersey. Participants will learn about equipment, ingredients and techniques for brewing the perfect pint. The recipe for the day includes wild blueberries, which will be foraged at the preserve.
The cost of the brewing workshop is $25, which must be paid in advance. The workshop is limited to 20 people ages 21 or older. Participants should bring containers for the blueberries and notebooks for taking notes on the technique and recipe. Registration deadline is July 19.
To register for these events online, go to http://donate.njconservation.org/Registration. For more information, contact Laura Szwak at laura@njconservation.org or 908-234-1225.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/lifestyl...cle_0d7b5cc8-bb9f-11e1-b2d8-001a4bcf6878.html