Pine Barren Flora

David45

May 19, 2017
USA
Nice to see the image of the False Asphodel Bob!

Found this one while searching something.
What Ghosts Ate In The Ancient Greek Underworld—At Least, If They Were Lucky.
b8b1a3afb9204c2c8baf6e2e14c41005.jpg

Reactions: h2ochild and bobpbx

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I didn't know box turtles could swim/float. The only one in water I ever saw was at the bottom of my pool like a rock. I saved it but it rested for awhile.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice green snake! Very hard to find this time of year. I have never viewed a box turtle swimming.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Found Arethusa,white fringed orchid and curly grass fern along with some other rare plants I can't remember the Latin for today all down here in Cumberland county. Also an unidentified and possibly foreign species of Bulrush and several very interestin color varieties of Mountain laurel possibly planted on and old farm that is now pine woods.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Alfie, would you have a picture of the white fringed orchid?
No Oji,I wasn't carrying a camera and it was not in flower but my friend that was with me ID"ed it and He knows much more then I do on plants.It was a single plant maybe ten inches tall.I believe I could find it again but I didn't even have my gps with me for coords.

Reactions: oji

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of turtles, I rounded the corner in the woods by a dam today and ran into the heftiest snapper I've ever seen. I looked at him and said "Holy crap". He did the same and ran into the water, but I did get a blurry shot off. It was massive, the photo does not do it justice. When I first saw him he had his legs extended, looked as big as a medium sized dog. I'd guess maybe 50+ pounds? The second one shown on the road, while smaller, was also big (and old), but nowhere near like the one by the dam.

2 june.JPG
beard.JPG
Capture.JPG
day.JPG
fls.JPG
hut.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thats about the size of the snapper i caught walking down 49 shoulder at the menantico creek crossing last week. it was all i could do to lift him over the railing with one hand to get him to the swamp.I"d say a good 50 maybe 60 or more pounds.I was going to carry him 100 yeards to the creek but after hefting Him said to myself.I"ll barely make it 40 ft to the swamp with this guy and last thing i wanted was to ge tired and let him hang too close to my leg.he had a head the size of a big box turtle.